Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Gang, I've been working almost exclusively from my MBP over the past several years. I log out at the end of the day, disconnect the MBP from my ASD and put the MBP in my fireproof file cabinet for safekeeping.

However, I've ordered an M2 Mac Studio and I expect it to be delivered this week. Since I live in a part of the country that seems prone to power outages, should I go out and purchase a surge protector? What's the current thinking?

Back in the old PowerPC days, we wouldn't have considered going without an APC or similar backup power supply. Is the current generation hardware any more immune to the effects of power interruptions?

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
Second this

My house has an electrical system that was installed in the 80s. I really need to replace it but I use a $200 UPS instead of spending the $5k or whatever to have my house rewired lol

Reactions: jmoore5196

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yes you want a sinewave type, cyberpower brand is a solid consumer choice along with APS. I've been using cyberpower for decades. As with all UPS that use lead acid type batteries, the batteries will go bad in 3-5 years, but they are replaceable.

If you are planning to also power external enclosures and multiple displays, consider something like this:

Be careful with amazon as knock offs sometimes show up there.

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am running a CyberPower EC650LCD. I like it because it can shut down auxiliary item power when the system is shut off. It can run the complete system (Mac Studio, Studio Monitor, auxiliary drives and USB devices on TWO large hubs) for about 40 min and then does an orderly shutdown.
  • I like being able to finish a task and make sure, it is saved. It also gives enough time to pin P.G.&E.
  • It is enough time to run out and turn on the generator, if it looks like the outage is more than 5 min.
  • It protects the system from voltage spikes and extreme power ranges or THD.
My ol' cMPro doing backup duty is hooked to a larger CyberPower, since it consumption is >10x of the Studio's. My NAS and AV gear are ALL on UPS.
Living in the CA mountains requires this, but I would do this anywhere.

Reactions: wdhpgx

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Thanks, Guys! I ran down an APC 1500 VA UPS, and I'm sure that will do what I need it to do. Sad that it took an F2 tornado in my backyard to make me question whether my data was protected, but at least it will be in the months and years ahead. Appreciate the help.

Reactions: wdhpgx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.