Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
In Canada, it costs $500 to upgrade from 18gb to 36gb. What are the odds that they will ease off of these crazy upgrade prices? I’m sure the odds are virtually null, but I’m interested in everyone else’s perspective.

PotentPeas

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
Definitely won't change in the middle of a generation. Just gotta wait until they release another new machine and then see if there is any change to the pricing structure.

I'm wondering about SSD upgrade prices which are also stupid high. They've been using the same storage upgrade prices across all M1/M2/M3 laptops (maybe even a little before that) despite the fact that NAND prices have been trending down.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
In a product cycle, there is not much chance of a change in pricing structure. They're using these price differentials to segment the market of customers and as long as they see it working, they won't change.

I do think there's room for readjustment if the product line thins a bit, and I also think they note feedback they get via their retail and dealer channels - not so much from here or other places like it - but as long as their notebook line is propped up by remaining M1 MBAs and discounted M2s, with the M-series boards all prebuilt and not production upgradable, they are somewhat painted into a corner.

If sales volumes of a particular configuration proves that a particular model can be pulled, it would give them a better opportunity to adjust pricing, otherwise I don't see it happening until the M1 and M2 models are all gone, leaving some possible room for a shuffling of model pricing above.

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
I think it's unlikely that Apple eases up on their upgrade prices any time soon. This might be partly due to corporate greed, "maximizing shareholder value," etc... pretty typical reasons, right?

But I have a theory that it's also due to current economic conditions, specifically inflation, and that's why Apple still sells computers with such little memory. By selling devices with such low specs (8gb of RAM, 256gb of storage), it means Apple doesn't raise the price of their base models by TOO much, in a time when the price of everything else keeps going up so much.

The downside of this is, of course, that it costs so much to upgrade from the "base" specs. And I think that's something that will continue for as long as current economic conditions persist. 😞

• Haha
Reactions: AlexJaye

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Borderline wishful thinking. If you want cheaper macs, buy 1-2 gen old devices, that's the agenda.

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Won’t happen, Apple earn less from the basic model and earn more from top tier one to normalized the profit on all spectrum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.