Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retromac2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
are we losing a lot on IOS9?

i don t have Idevices with IOS10 so i don t know what i m losing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Technically, you don't lose anything per se, it's all alterations and adjustments. Messages and home screen notifications were some of the biggest changes in iOS 10.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
In my opinion, just the new iMessage features. I still have iOS 9 on all of my devices. Also, you lose slide to unlock. An undeniable classic from iOS that I'm not currently willing to lose. Logically, I cannot comment on performance improvements/regressions.
Don't fix what isn't broken.
Edit: I admit to being eminently biased due to past issues with iOS updates.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Plenty of people tried iOS 10 and didn't like it so reverted back to iOS 9.

You can read about what new features iOS 10 has compared to iOS 9 on plenty of websites. If those features seem worth slowing down your device, go for it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Some of the things I can think of off my head:

1) Slide to Unlock, so you won't wear out your home button as quickly.

2) Sorting Notifications by app --> inability to delete notifications by app. This is a big, unexplained step backwards imo.

3) Light mode clock app.

4) A yet again redesigned Music app that requires even more steps to play a song in your local music library, complete with unnecessarily large fonts and controls.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I've come across two apps now that require iOS 10.
The main one being the Apple Store app. (The other one was a free currency converter.. Which I couldn't even purchase.)

Apple's own damn app won't function anymore on either my iPhone or iPad...a little annoying that I was prompted to upgrade it to a state that it would no longer function.
Not the end of the world of course, but it's going to take more than that to make me leave ios9!

Edit - oh I also miss out on the iCloud sync for the clipboard..I imagine this would be useful on occasion.

WeatherMate

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
san francisco, california
Following are some of the new features in ios 10:
  1. Siri can be used with third party apps now
  2. On iOS 9, when you are not logged into an app, any calls are received as notification only. In iOS 10 however, users can interact with apps from the home screen.
  3. ios 10 has bigger emojis, emoji prediction and handwriting
  4. ios 10 support a new UI for music app because there were quite a few companies in the older UI.

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
I updated to iOS 10.3.1 from 9.3.5 just a day ago and battery health is already down to 89 % on my iPad mini 4 whereas it was 97 - 98 % just 2 days ago on iOS 9.3.5 I'm not sure what caused such quick degradation...

Also app doesn't show charge cycles anymore, but I was warned about it here...

Reactions: smorrissey

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I updated to iOS 10.3.1 from 9.3.5 just a day ago and battery health is already down to 89 % on my iPad mini 4 whereas it was 97 - 98 % just 2 days ago on iOS 9.3.5 I'm not sure what caused such quick degradation...

Also app doesn't show charge cycles anymore, but I was warned about it here...
If you are using an app on the device itself to look at battery health, then the information that is displayed as of iOS 10 isn't all that accurate. You'd basically want to use a computer application, like Coconut Battery on the Mac.

Reactions: Orka

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
If you are using an app on the device itself to look at battery health, then the information that is displayed as of iOS 10 isn't all that accurate. You'd basically want to use a computer application, like Coconut Battery on the Mac.

Well, I use same app on my iPhone 6 with latest iOS installed and it consistently shows battery health at 99% which is perfect considering phone has 200 + cycles.

i only have issues on iPad mini 4, battery health definitely took a hit here after installing iOS 10.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Well you might or might not lose battery life on ios 10.....just saying but if you just to ios10 you will definitely gain security updates...

Reactions: gobikerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.