Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I like the font on most Blue Prints. I talked to an architect today and he said it is helvetica. But, I looked at that font and it did not seem right? I want to use this font on my business cards. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
if its like this:

back_legend.gif

then its a font called Graphite

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
My F.O.C* is Gadget.
It's so techno-savy...

*: Font of choice

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 11,790

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
mebbe it's a variant of helvetica.

Exactly what I was thinking... there are many different weights and versions of Helvetica...

And it's still the best typeface... :)

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by shecky
if its like this:

back_legend.gif

Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner!! That is the exact font!! Thank you so much!:D

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by shecky
if its like this:

back_legend.gif

NOOOOO! That font is not in my Word program! Where can I get that font?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by nospleen
Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner!! That is the exact font!! Thank you so much!:D

That's nothing like Helvetica... :p :p :p I wouldn't trust that Architect if I were you... heh-heh

DavidFDM

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Maine, USA
Adobe Texton is a hard-working typeface I have seen used for this purpose. It comes in a variety of weights.

Attachments

• a_tekp-10005000.gif
    a_tekp-10005000.gif
    3 KB · Views: 1,783

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
There's actually a font called blueprint that is similiar to the one you showed, and I think is easier to find. I used to have it somewhere, but I have a couple zip disks of fonts to go through from when I used to work as a graphic artist and printing press operator. I'll keep looking. It may take a while, since my zip drive died a while ago and I am currently without one.:(

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Originally posted by mactastic
There's actually a font called blueprint that is similiar to the one you showed, and I think is easier to find. I used to have it somewhere, but I have a couple zip disks of fonts to go through from when I used to work as a graphic artist and printing press operator. I'll keep looking. It may take a while, since my zip drive died a while ago and I am currently without one.:(
Tks!!

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Re: The aesthetic of the machine....

Originally posted by meta-ghost
I'm with you iGav. The choice of that font is extremely revealing.

Actually it was his assistant, but either way, it is way off.:D

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
Re: Re: The aesthetic of the machine....

Actually it was his assistant, but either way, it is way off.:D

I meant something else entirely. Namely, that font mimics a method of writing that was done by hand. Using a machine to reproduce a style developed by hand is silly. The machine has an aesthetic. Explore it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: The aesthetic of the machine....

I meant something else entirely. Namely, that font mimics a method of writing that was done by hand. Using a machine to reproduce a style developed by hand is silly. The machine has an aesthetic. Explore it.
:confused:

handwriting fonts aren't silly. they serve a differrent purpose than text-book fonts. it's like the difference between serif and sans serif.

computers have tons of aesthetics. he's exploring one. he's clearly explored the aesthetic of times new roman and courier, and now he's onto something else.

open your mind.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: Re: Re: The aesthetic of the machine....

The chiselled pencil style is a hold over from manual drafting lettering techniques in Industrial Design, Architecture and Interior Design. Basically all designers have to learn to write like that in school, it's an industry standard to ensure legibility in designs and blue prints. It's just been carried over to CAD systems for consistency.

Plus it looks well funky! (but bloody hard to learn)

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: What font do most Architects use?

I like the font on most Blue Prints. I talked to an architect today and he said it is helvetica. But, I looked at that font and it did not seem right? I want to use this font on my business cards. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I've been going through my reference materials trying to find a variation of the font you're after, but all I have avaliable at the moment are Engineering Drawing volumes. These are only listing Gothic variations or "ISO 3098/1 Type B upright or sloping character sets" Which aren't quite what you're after, but if you do some Googling you might find something.

I did however stumble acoss this font which is pretty damn close... and it's free!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: What font do most Architects use?

Originally posted by Finiksa
I did however stumble acoss this font which is pretty damn close... and it's free!
you should try this in bold and see what it looks like. it might be reasonably close!

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
Re: Re: Re: Re: The aesthetic of the machine....

Originally posted by Finiksa
The chiselled pencil style is a hold over from manual drafting lettering techniques in Industrial Design, Architecture and Interior Design. Basically all designers have to learn to write like that in school, it's an industry standard to ensure legibility in designs and blue prints. It's just been carried over to CAD systems for consistency.
I think the carry over has less to do with consistency than most people moving to drawing on the computer uncritically. I agree that people need to explore different aesthetics and come around to what works for them. The problem is, and I'm speaking with historical experience here, very few people did this. Instead, dimension line styles used slash marks (easy with a triangle), graphic info symbols still mimicked the templates made for hand drawing, and of course, the handwriting font went with it. I'm not saying I would never use a handwriting(or publishing) font but rather it has to make graphic sense in the larger scheme.

It can be possible that a set of drawings produced graphically uncritically can represent a product that is itself uncritical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.