Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Evidently! :D

Do you remember Elephant Memory Systems?

elephantMemoryLogo.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc5a00efa-94d1-4391-842b-d90d2a8d9048_700x619.jpeg

50BjCi1.jpeg

I do!

We used to have a few of those floppies for the C64 when I was growing up, along with the white-and-blue Verbatim brand.

EDIT to add: When I started finding software on BBSes, I used to use a paper hole puncher to cut in a write notch for the reverse side on the single-sided-rated diskettes we already had. I’m sure everyone did that manoeuvre back then, despite the general warning that, putatively, doing that would harm the diskette. That never happened with us, but we also had maybe a few dozen disks, at most.

Last edited:

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks, because ridiculously, ITV - a UK broadcaster and media organisation, has blocked people in the UK from viewing content featuring a UK sci-fi TV series. Where's the logic in that? FFS.

It's called copyright ;)

@Dronecatcher - if you're charging for your tracks, I hope you have all your samples cleared with Errol Brown, Jeff Wayne and all the others. The crazy days of 'Pump up the volume' and 'S'Express' are long gone.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
It's called copyright ;)

That's called being patronising. ;)

What you completely ignored in your haste to act superior was the critique of ITV - a UK broadcaster and media organisation barring people who live in the UK from viewing content from a UK TV series that is best known for being aired on UK TV but allowing that video to be viewed by people who live outside of the UK.

As was observed in a reply to my post...

I know - and yet you can find whole episodes of Space 1999 on there!

Anyway, you enjoy your day. I'll certainly enjoy mine. :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher - if you're charging for your tracks, I hope you have all your samples cleared with Errol Brown, Jeff Wayne and all the others.
I am not but on Bandcamp any interested party can pay what they want - if the copyright holders come knocking, I'll be happy to hand over the proceeds of my work, which after 14 years amounts to £2.30

The vast majority of my work is original material - this was an exercise in old skool sampling.

Also, my whole point isn't to pass off other people's music as my own but to make my own statement by forcing disparate source together. This is a celebration of music that I love - clearly it doesn't remotely connect to you. That's fine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
May I just offer the hot take that Ben Liebrand is woefully overrated as a producer?

Honestly, I don't give a rat's potatoe for whether he, as a producer, is rated, overrated or x-rated.
His remixes either work or they don't. This one worked. I have two copies. Guess why.. ;)

Last edited:

stephg

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
The wifi connection issue is very likely related to the 802.11b protocol of the AirPort card being both too old for modern wifi routers to connect with it and also the modern wifi router using a minimum encryption standard of WPA2 Personal. The AirPort card is only able, at most, to connect to the older WPA (“WPA1”, basically) or to the very old WEP encryption scheme. WEP is highly advised to be avoided nowadays.

Sometimes a wifi router can be configured manually to broadcast and receive in 802.11b, 802.11b/g, and 802.11 b/g/n, but more often than not, most, at a minimum, they’re configured for 802.11g/n and later, such as 802.11n/ac).

If you still want to try out wifi with the iBook, I did something like this a few years ago for my iBook G3/466: I connected a much older wifi router, an old blue-and-black Linksys WRT54GL model, directly to my modern wifi router with an ethernet cable as kind of a secondary wifi access point for just the iBook.

On the older Linksys wifi router, I set it up to broadcast a 802.11b/g signal (I also had an AirPort Extreme card to try out with a PowerBook, as AirPort Extreme used 802.11g). I configured the Linksys to the maximum encryption level which that AirPort card could recognize (which, for that particular unit, did recognize WPA(1)). Then I set up that Linksys router to only recognize the MAC address of that AirPort card, which (in most cases) would ignore all requests from any other wifi device to connect. That way, the older wifi router could still pass along the connected, recognized AirPort card to the main wifi router to get onto the internet. It wasn’t truly “secure”, but it was a step toward that for the sake of fun.

Eventually, I found one of those tiny, discontinued 802.11n USB wifi adapters which would work on PowerPC Macs, and I used that instead for the iBook. Even so, in 2019, it took some searching about to find the right kind of adapter with the right software bundled. Unfortunately, I no longer have that USB adapter (I gave it away with another iBook) and have been unable to find a replacement. That iBook I used to connect with AirPort is connected nowadays to my network with an ethernet cable.
Thanks for all the info! I'm not sure if it's worth trying to get it connected.

Reactions: B S Magnet

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I am not but on Bandcamp any interested party can pay what they want - if the copyright holders come knocking, I'll be happy to hand over the proceeds of my work, which after 14 years amounts to £2.30

:D

That reminds me of one of the few, truly entertaining moments in Rocky V...

Most copyright owners, performers and their leeches representatives are far more interested in targeting hit albums/singles with silver, gold, platinum etc certification because there's guaranteed to be a payday, rather than people who are flying under the radar and just doing stuff for the fun of it. Hence the expression "where there's a hit, there's a writ."

When I became interested in sampling, someone from Steinberg who demoed ReCycle for me (and urged my unemployed self to buy a PowerMac to run it), explained that you can get away with having uncleared stuff played on the radio and in the clubs on the basis that it's not a commercial release and thus the goal is artist promotion.

As an aside, one of my family members put together a remix for a well known UK artist and soon after its release, he received a phone call from a record company exec accusing him of copyright infringement by using an uncleared sample on the track. He then clarified the situation during a conference call involving himself, the exec, a musicologist and a legal shark where he went into his studio and talked them through the entire production process of the remix and demonstrated how he'd played the melody on his keyboards - allowing the trio to hear everything.

The musicologist stated to the others that there was no case to answer and the matter came to a close. Though I imagine that the other two must've been annoyed at being denied their cut of a windfall. :)

:D

That reminds me of one of the few, truly entertaining moments in Rocky V...

Most copyright owners, performers and their leeches representatives are far more interested in targeting hit albums/singles with silver, gold, platinum etc certification because there's guaranteed to be a payday, rather than people who are flying under the radar and just doing stuff for the fun of it. Hence the expression "where there's a hit, there's a writ."

When I became interested in sampling, someone from Steinberg who demoed ReCycle for me (and urged my unemployed self to buy a PowerMac to run it), explained that you can get away with having uncleared stuff played on the radio and in the clubs on the basis that it's not a commercial release and thus the goal is artist promotion.

As an aside, one of my family members put together a remix for a well known UK artist and soon after its release, he received a phone call from a record company exec accusing him of copyright infringement by using an uncleared sample on the track. He then clarified the situation during a conference call involving himself, the exec, a musicologist and a legal shark where he went into his studio and talked them through the entire production process of the remix and demonstrated how he'd played the melody on his keyboards - allowing the trio to hear everything.

The musicologist stated to the others that there was no case to answer and the matter came to a close. Though I imagine that the other two must've been annoyed at being denied their cut of a windfall. :)

This is why I’m on Team Sunset Copyright on Everything in Fifteen Years or Less, Just Like a Patent on Medicine, but I found this didn’t fit on a shirt very well.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
That's called being patronising. ;)

What you completely ignored in your haste to act superior was the critique of ITV - a UK broadcaster and media organisation barring people who live in the UK from viewing content from a UK TV series that is best known for being aired on UK TV but allowing that video to be viewed by people who live outside of the UK.

As was observed in a reply to my post...
ITV probably doesn't hold the copyright in the regions where the video is playable, so it would be up to the holders in the other regions to go after YouTube if they chose to.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
ITV probably doesn't hold the copyright in the regions where the video is playable, so it would be up to the holders in the other regions to go after YouTube if they chose to.

ITC Entertainment Group, the company that made Space: 1999 (and many other fantastic stuff!) and the majority of its back catalogue, including Space: 1999, is a wholly-owned subsidiary undertaking of ITV. See pages 255-256 of the 2022 annual report.

Reactions: MarkC426

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
ITC Entertainment Group, the company that made Space: 1999 (and many other fantastic stuff!) and the majority of its back catalogue, including Space: 1999, is a wholly-owned subsidiary undertaking of ITV. See pages 255-256 of the 2022 annual report.
I'm not arguing about that. But the rights to the series has been sold to other broadcasters abroad, and in those regions they would be the ones to file claims of unlicensed use to a platform like YouTube. Even if that's not the case, ITV would have to register the copyright in other regions for their IP to be protected there. These laws aren't really made with the internet in mind where there are no borders and anyone can "broadcast" content.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Youtube's policy makes no sense - there are hundreds of Space 1999 videos on there. I myself made a fan trailer of the Dragon's Domain episode last year which was published without issue.

The algorithm seems to be better at picking up audio infractions than copyrighted video. I have some digitized home movies that I share with family members as unlisted YouTube videos. More often than not there's music playing somewhere in the background and even when it's nearly inaudible I get a content match and need to edit out part of the sound before I can upload a clip.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm not arguing about that. But the rights to the series has been sold to other broadcasters abroad, and in those regions they would be the ones to file claims of unlicensed use to a platform like YouTube.

Licensing rights are not the same as copyright ownership.

A licensee cannot file a copyright claim on YouTube - that is in the domain of the copyright owner or a legal representative.

lOwe56m.png

Even if that's not the case, ITV would have to register the copyright in other regions for their IP to be protected there.

It's extremely unlikely that a media organisation like ITV wouldn't have ensured that their IPs are protected globally. As was pointed out earlier, this is a case of an inconsistent enforcement.

Anyway, I'll leave it there because we've strayed way off-topic and I've had some posts deleted recently for doing so on the grounds that expressing a difference of opinion constituted "bickering." I shall refrain from expressing my opinion on that...

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
The algorithm seems to be better at picking up audio infractions than copyrighted video. I have some digitized home movies that I share with family members as unlisted YouTube videos. More often than not there's music playing somewhere in the background and even when it's nearly inaudible I get a content match and need to edit out part of the sound before I can upload a clip.

This is why many YouTubers of late have resorted to circumventing this when referencing clips from copyrighted material in their videos by noticeably pitching the audio either up or down to evade a claim/strike.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.