Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
What if Intel just quit. They said they were done making chips. Would the world end?

OR, what if they drastically cut production so that prices on the rare chips skyrocketed? Could they get in trouble with the government like Microsoft does? Interesting concept...

OR What if they just his pause for a year.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
DevilDog said:
What if Intel just quit. They said they were done making chips. Would the world end?

OR, what if they drastically cut production so that prices on the rare chips skyrocketed? Could they get in trouble with the government like Microsoft does? Interesting concept...

Bit of a stupid concept. No offense.

So Intel, who I'm guessing are worth a few billion $, are just going to pack up shop. Pay their staff, then ta-ta.

Not sell the company, sell the chips, sell the factories, just, Bye Bye?

If Intel were going to ''quit'' they would sell the company, and I'm sure there isn't just one person behind these decisions, there must be a whole board.

They could also let enother company come in, run it all, and just use the Intel name.

Sheesh.. the idea's people have!

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Just quit huh? I'll bet computer production would slow down almost immediately until other companies like AMD and IBM could catch up to quota and become the chip making super-companies of the world like Intel is now.

That's a really good question and it really makes me wonder...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sorry, but the thread title made me think of...

Jack Twist, "I wish I knew how to quit you!" :D

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
CoMpX said:
Just quit huh? I'll bet computer production would slow down almost immediately until other companies like AMD and IBM could catch up to quota and become the chip making super-companies of the world like Intel is now.

That's a really good question and it really makes me wonder...

But why would they just quit? They wouldn't close down for no good reason, and leave things standing, not sell the company or what it owns.

They may very well merge with someone, or a few people may decide to leave and set up a start-up, but new people would take other, their not going to just close down and throw billions into thin air.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
The company would be sold if someone wanted to get rid of it. But if for some reason it did happen AMD would take the majority of the business.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
As a publicly traded company doesn't the Board of Directors have a obligation to run the company to the best of their ability and make the shareholders money. :confused:

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
well it never going to happen but since we are playing the what if game lets pretend that they did.

Computer production would come to a crawl since CPU supplies would be very very tight. Prices would go shooting up on CPU due to very limited supplies for a while.

Apple could be screwed over big time because they burned so many of there brigdes that they would be one of the last people to get CPU. Motrala, IBM and so on would rather being giving their very limited CPUs to some one who loyal and will not drop them at a tip of a hat. So apple supplies would CPU would be very dry.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
treblah said:
As a publicly traded company doesn't the Board of Directors have a obligation to run the company to the best of their ability and make the shareholders money. :confused:

In the later aspect they're not doing so well.

But yeah, the company can't just quit, they have contracts and orders, as well as debt. Contracts include sales orders ... but also warranty service and everything else you can imagine.

There is no magical switch to flip. And the government probably wouldn't let them anyway because AMD would gain monopoly power in the industry of chip manufacturing and well thats not really something our government is supposed to embrace.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Apple would be in the best position, since they have an OS that doesn't need x86 CPU's to function.
There is no magical switch to flip. And the government probably wouldn't let them anyway because AMD would gain monopoly power in the industry of chip manufacturing and well thats not really something our government is supposed to embrace.
That's not true. Dell et al could use Yellow Dog Linux on their PC's and use G5's. It's no more of a monopoly than Microsoft has.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
what if bush accidentally pushed the big red doomsday button under his desk?

incase you hadn't noticed i'm being sarcastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.