Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
I have AppleCare+ on my 14 Pro and it fell today on my floor. Fortunately it’s just the back glass. Didn’t impact the cameras or the front screen.

I saw the cost is $29 on apple’s website. What gets replaced during this repair? Will my phone get wiped? I have a backup but just wondering

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I have AppleCare+ on my 14 Pro and it fell today on my floor. Fortunately it’s just the back glass. Didn’t impact the cameras or the front screen.

I saw the cost is $29 on apple’s website. What gets replaced during this repair? Will my phone get wiped? I have a backup but just wondering

I believe they would change everything other than the screen due to how the 14 Pro series were built. Your iPhone will not get wiped intentionally but the staff would warn you it could happen and if it does they do not bear the responsibility. Please make a backup file on your Mac or PC, do not just rely on iCloud backups.

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
I believe they would change everything other than the screen due to how the 14 Pro series were built. Your iPhone will not get wiped intentionally but the staff would warn you it could happen and if it does they do not bear the responsibility. Please make a backup file on your Mac or PC, do not just rely on iCloud backups.
Thank you for this.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
iPhone 15 allows the back to be easily replaced on its own.... 14 and earlier, not so much. So yeah, basically a new phone.

They COULD do a.... don't remember the correct name for it, something like "Rear System" exchange which is basically jacking up your display & rolling a new phone under it. But the end result is the same, a new phone "In essence."

Reactions: newdev9

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

There’s absolutely no difference

In fact, as luck would have it, I’ve had better experience with replacements compared to retail units

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
There’s absolutely no difference

In fact, as luck would have it, I’ve had better experience with replacements compared to retail units
So I FINALLY got around to replacing my device. I actually feel this device is better than my previous one. I literally can’t tell this is a refurbished device.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
So I FINALLY got around to replacing my device. I actually feel this device is better than my previous one. I literally can’t tell this is a refurbished device.
I’ve always said this
Apple replacements are often better than new
No such thing is conventional refurb at Apple

DarkSorrow82

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2016
Minocqua, WI
When Apple replaced my iPhone 14 Pro Max cause I ran it over with the Bobcat they didn’t give me a refurbished unit. It was actually new and it was a $99 deductible.

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
When Apple replaced my iPhone 14 Pro Max cause I ran it over with the Bobcat they didn’t give me a refurbished unit. It was actually new and it was a $99 deductible.
Yeah I think I got a new one. Doesn’t feel refurbished. They found additional damage aside from the back I guess internally (camera maybe?) but yeah I paid $99 too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.