Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I am taking my iPhone 6S+ to an Apple store for possible battery replacement. According to Apple, we should backup the phone, log out from Apple ID account and reset it to factory settings to protect our personal information before giving it out. Without a Mac, what is the best way to backup the phone so that I could recover it to the current state after getting it back from Apple? I only have a Windows PC and no plan to pay for iCloud. Currently I have used about 95GB of storage.

• Haha
Reactions: AlastorKatriona

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
According to Apple, we should backup the phone, log out from Apple ID account and reset it to factory settings to protect our personal information before giving it out.

Apple actually says in the appointment email that all you need to do is back up your phone and sign out of Find My iPhone.

You do not need to log out of your Apple ID or reset it. You can if you want to, but not necessary.

And most will probably say the easiest way to back up is iCloud. Or make an encrypted backup using iTunes.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
No idea what the "best way" is, but I believe iTunes for Windows can backup your phone

There's also iMazing, which has a Windows version. I had an older Mac version of their app and it has a lot of features that could be handy. I have no need for it anymore, but it might be worth a look. IIRC, they have a free trial period but not sure if a full phone backup is available in the trial

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
As stated before, just download iTunes and make a backup. Be sure to choose the encrypted backup so absolutely *everything* is backed up.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Few years ago I used iTunes on my Windows PC to back up my phone or ipad. Don't remember which. As I recall, I could not view the pictures. The files were saved in some sort of unfamiliar format.

Anybody successfully recovered their phone from iTunes Windows version?

By backup, I also mean backing up the settings in apps such as those SMS apps so that when I do a recovery, I can just use the phone as if I did not send it to Apple. In this context, is iTunes backup the same as cloning?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Few years ago I used iTunes on my Windows PC to back up my phone or ipad. Don't remember which. As I recall, I could not view the pictures. The files were saved in some sort of unfamiliar format.

Anybody successfully recovered their phone from iTunes Windows version?
The backup file is not for browsing on the computer. It’s only purpose is to restore to a device.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
No idea what the "best way" is, but I believe iTunes for Windows can backup your phone

There's also iMazing, which has a Windows version. I had an older Mac version of their app and it has a lot of features that could be handy. I have no need for it anymore, but it might be worth a look. IIRC, they have a free trial period but not sure if a full phone backup is available in the trial

Thanks. It does look very feature-rich with a very nice UI. Looks like we need to purchase directly from them rather than through a perhaps more secure MS Store or App Store.

• Haha
Reactions: AlastorKatriona

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
As I recall, I could not view the pictures. The files were saved in some sort of unfamiliar format.

If you want to be able to access images and files from the phone, that's one of the things that iMazing does...
________
Extract all the contents of a device backup, in a human readable format

Export all your Messages and WhatsApp chats to PDF, Excel and CSV.
Export all your photos and music.
Export your notes, voice memos, contacts and calendars.
Export your call log, voicemail, Safari history and more.

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades
Hi, I am taking my iPhone 6S+ to an Apple store for possible battery replacement. According to Apple, we should backup the phone, log out from Apple ID account and reset it to factory settings to protect our personal information before giving it out. Without a Mac, what is the best way to backup the phone so that I could recover it to the current state after getting it back from Apple? I only have a Windows PC and no plan to pay for iCloud. Currently I have used about 95GB of storage.
If you buy the 200 GB plan for exactly one month ($2.99) then back up to the iCloud then it will save you a bunch of trouble.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You can also use the new 'Apple Devices' app to do all this instead of using iTunes (assuming you have Windows 10 or 11).

Oh wow, having not used iTunes in probably a decade, I had no idea there was an alternative now on Windows. Thanks for the info!

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Buy 200Gb for 1 month. Do your backup, restore your phone and cancel iCloud. Done, cheap and easy.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Looks like we need to purchase directly from them rather than through a perhaps more secure MS Store or App Store.
I download software from the web all the time. If you know what you're doing, it's perfectly secure. There are indeed scams on the App Store/MS Store, too.

Reactions: klasma

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Buy 200Gb for 1 month. Do your backup, restore your phone and cancel iCloud. Done, cheap and easy.

For this approach, can the restore function returns the phone to the state when it is being backed up? I mean all the settings of apps like those of SMS get restored automatically?

Does this approach also work if I end up moving from the current phone to a new later on?

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
For this approach, can the restore function returns the phone to the state when it is being backed up? I mean all the settings of apps like those of SMS get restored automatically?

Does this approach also work if I end up moving from the current phone to a new later on?
Yes and yes

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA

Yes

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you buy the 200 GB plan for exactly one month ($2.99) then back up to the iCloud then it will save you a bunch of trouble.
Doesn't Apple offer a temporarily larger quota specifically for phone upgrades? I could swear I read that somewhere...

edit: found it

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

Basically: yes.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
That sounds sketchy A.F. Why would you want to help some bad apple employee steal your phone?
Nothing sketchy or new. Apple gives you work order when they take your phone. If some one steals it, Apple has to replace and will likely fire the employee.

OP: I do iTunes as my second level backup, but iCloud is my preferred method of back up and restore. It wouldn’t hurt to have couple of backups.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Nothing sketchy or new. Apple gives you work order when they take your phone. If some one steals it, Apple has to replace and will likely fire the employee.

OP: I do iTunes as my second level backup, but iCloud is my preferred method of back up and restore. It wouldn’t hurt to have couple of backups.
The sketchy part being the bold part I quoted, "signing out of find my."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.