Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Explanations that I was strictly brought up and would prefer to eat with utensils - as I would embarrass myself and my hosts if I tried to eat with hands - have never given offence, especially when I extravagantly (and genuinely) praise the dish in question - and clearly show my appreciation by devouring it greedily.

The Afghans have a stunning version of this dish which is called "Kabuli rice".
I was not so lucky. Diplomacy in those situations in the 80s was not a choice. ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Ulenspiegel and @Scepticalscribe - Sorry, this dish is to be eaten with fingers?

It depends; in a slightly formal setting (in a city, or a compound) utensils will usually be offered.

In local, settings, yes, matters may differ. But - time moves - and the 80s are not now.

In truth, and - I have worked professionally across this region (but not in the 80s; in the 80s & 90s in the Balkans and eastern Europe, but in central Asia during the 00s, and this decade, when I've worked for years at a time in some of these places) - I've never had to seriously offer anything other than polite explanations - and then utensils were always offered or anticipated.

Seriously, I've never had to - this was possibly one of those occasions when gender worked in my favour - women claiming "delicacy" and arguing that they were strictly brought up (true, to a certain extent, in my case) can get away with it, and - to be quite honest - I'm not capable of eating anything by hand (even crisps - in my world, or 'chips' in the US) without spilling stuff.

Mind you, I did accept an offer (my partner on that occasion was an American - ex-military, who chickened out, and spent the best part of an hour smothering his giggles at my struggles) to consume what turned out to be one of those - you know those ghastly Scandinavian folk tales of the never-emptying bowl - never-emptying bowls of mare's milk in a yurt somewhere in the Tien-Shan mountains of Kyrgyzstan.

I was observing an election after one of their revolutions (well, I observed a few elections there in that country after their various revolutions) and I was offered this local delicacy, and decided that diplomacy (plus, my legendarily robust stomach) decreed that I not just sample it, but swallow it in its awful inedible entirety.

I have consumed foul whiskey with less ill effect. This was - without doubt - the most horrible thing I have ever, ever consumed.

And yes, @Ulenspiegel & @Gutwrench, pride and diplomacy meant that I finished that bloody enormous bowl, the colleague and the locals smiling knowingly.

Suffice to say, I was very unwell on election day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
@Ulenspiegel and @Scepticalscribe - Sorry, this dish is to be eaten with fingers?
Traditionally it is placed on your "plate" by hand and yes, it is to be eaten with fingers.
You mentioned in one of your posts the Mongolian lamb, the Xopxoг. They use almost no spices in traditional Mongolian cuisine. You felt the mix of the smoky flavour of animal fat, different meat next to lamb and some vegetables (potatoes, garlic, onions, ginger etc.) because of the stones, which have been preheated in a fire and put between the meat. :)
[doublepost=1536446851][/doublepost]
It depends; in a slightly formal setting (in a city, or a compound) utensils will usually be offered.

In local, settings, yes, matters may differ. But - time moves - and the 80s are not now.

In truth, and - I have worked professionally across this region (but not in the 80s; in the 90s in the Balkans and eaten Europe, but in central Asia during the 00s, and this decade, when I've worked for years at a time in some of these places) - I've never had to seriously offer anything other than polite explanations - utensils were always offered.

Seriously, I've never had to - this was possibly one of those occasions when gender worked in my favour - women claiming "delicacy" and arguing that they were strictly brought up (true, to a certain extent, in my case) can get away with it, and - to be quite honest - I'm not capable of eating anything by hand (even crisps - in my world, or 'chips' in the US) without spilling stuff.

Mind you, I did accept an offer (my partner on that occasion was an American - ex-military, who chickened out, and spent the best part of an hour smothering his giggles at my struggles) to consume what turned out to be one of those - you know those ghastly Scandinavian folk tales of the never-emptying bowl - never-emptying bowls of mare's milk in a yurt somewhere in the Tien-Shan mountains of Kyrgyzstan.

I was observing an election after one of their revolutions (well, I observed a few elections there in that country after their various revolutions) and I was offered this local delicacy, and decided that diplomacy (plus, my legendarily robust stomach) decreed that I not just sample it, but swallow it in its awful inedible entirety.

I have consumed foul whiskey with less ill effect. This was - without doubt - the most horrible thing I have ever, ever consumed.

And yes, @Ulenspiegel & @Gutwrench, pride and diplomacy meant that I finished that bloody enormous bowl, the colleague and the locals smiling knowingly.

Suffice to say, I was very unwell on election day.
You triggered some memories. :D
Once I was invited to a traditional Uzbek wedding. Being the only foreigner I had to drink to every damn toast with everyone. After an hour I had trouble even sitting, walking was out of question.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Traditionally it is placed on your "plate" by hand and yes, it is to be eaten with fingers.
You mentioned in one of your posts the Mongolian lamb, the Xopxoг. They use almost no spices in traditional Mongolian cuisine. You felt the mix of the smoky flavour of animal fat, different meat next to lamb and some vegetables (potatoes, garlic, onions, ginger etc.) because of the stones, which have been preheated in a fire and put between the meat. :)
[doublepost=1536446851][/doublepost]
You triggered some memories. :D
Once I was invited to a traditional Uzbek wedding. Being the only foreigner I had to drink to every damn toast with everyone. After an hour I had trouble even sitting, walking was out of question.

In polling stations (in Bosnia just after the war in the 90s, I did two elections there in 1997, one in 1998 - and several since - and in Croatia and Kosovo, in 2000, and elsewhere in the Balkans well after that), I claimed (yes, utterly mendaciously) that my doctor had decreed that I could not drink spirits, as a way of warding off the veritable tsunami of glasses of slivovitz I was offered in every polling station I visited as early as opening at 7 a.m.

My interlocutors questioned the basic sanity not to mention intelligence of any such medical professional, - who would be stupid enough to offer such instructions? - but (precisely because I am female) they glumly accepted this; however, I did say that once the count had concluded I would be more than happy to join them in a glass (or three) of excellent wine or beer; inevitably, and invariably, they held me to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Went out with my kids to our local Brixx pizzeria. Had our usual order of two wood fired pizzas and draft root beers. These guys do a wonderful job for a chain. Beats the cardboard that so many of the common chains sell and call pizza.

41315583_10155873804763041_6108951981915635712_n.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The Uzbek pilaf I've had didn't resemble that as close as something more refined, I suppose. Rich dish, though. Fatty lamb, home grown tomato, carrots, maybe some nuts and or dried fruit. Very nice. I've had the Russian variant, too, using wild board. Also a treat.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Uzbek pilaf I've had didn't resemble that as close as something more refined, I suppose. Rich dish, though. Fatty lamb, home grown tomato, carrots, maybe some nuts and or dried fruit. Very nice. I've had the Russian variant, too, using wild board. Also a treat.

The versions of this pilau I've had have usually included fatty lamb (which gave a great flavour), carrots, dried fruits (raisins or sultanas, I seem to recall), onions, garlic, sliced almonds (toasted), cinnamon (a stick), cardamon (pods) and ground cardamon too, cloves, sugar, and the standard salt and pepper.

There may have been more to it, but my memory is that anytime I have had this dish (in any of its many regional variants) I have loved it and usually happily tucked into seconds.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I have sooo many zucchinis that I broke down and bought a spiralizer. So I will be making zucchini noodles for dinner and trying out all my pasta recipes in the next month or so.

Reactions: Lioness~

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The carer made a delicious tasting (but - some might say disgusting looking) dish with fish heads (cooked in a broth of garlic, lemon juice, and chillies - she sometimes adds a tiny bit of ginger) served with rice.

In the Philippines, she explained, laughing, that this dish is eaten by hand (we had this discussion earlier); she stripped it of bones (large and small for me) and offered me a spoon before offering to retire to her room to devour her own dish by hand.

While I was most grateful for the spoon, I have no problems when anyone else uses their hands to eat.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
The carer made a delicious tasting (but - some might say disgusting looking) dish with fish heads (cooked in a broth of garlic, lemon juice, and chillies - she sometimes adds a tiny bit of ginger) served with rice.

In the Philippines, she explained, laughing, that this dish is eaten by hand (we had this discussion earlier); she stripped it of bones (large and small for me) and offered me a spoon before offering to retire to her room to devour her own dish by hand.

While I was most grateful for the spoon, I have no problems when anyone else uses their hands to eat.

That actually sounds like a tasty meal! I assume your "carer" is a Filipino? We had a Filipino maid in Egypt and she was a pretty good cook, but we had to teach her many other dishes to expand her repertoire. She did make a truly great version of a chicken and cheese stuffed crepe that I was fond of, though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That actually sounds like a tasty meal! I assume your "carer" is a Filipino? We had a Filipino maid in Egypt and she was a pretty good cook, but we had to teach her many other dishes to expand her repertoire. She did make a truly great version of a chicken and cheese stuffed crepe that I was fond of, though.

Yes, she is Filipina, and simply wonderful; my mother has advanced Alzheimers (she was diagnosed in 2012, although she had been going downhill for a few years prior to that) and the carer (who is a nurse and midwife) has lived with us for the past five and half years, caring for my mother.

Her noodle dishes and her shrimp/prawn dishes are delicious.

She also prepares a wonderful clam or other shellfish soup, (with spring onions, ginger, chillies, tomatoes, chard, must ask what else get into it), restorative and incredibly tasty and up-lifting.

She wasn't sure that I would like the soup today - that blend of chillies, garlic and lemon (yum) - but I have yet to meet an Asian dish I dislike.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Risotto: The carer prepared the vegetables, and I cooked.

So, onions, garlic, diced courgette (zucchini), pancetta, and peas. Carnaroli rice. A glass of white wine, along with chicken stock, and a glass of saffron stands in water comprised the stock.

Loads of butter, and a tiny amount of olive oil to start the dish off.

Gran Pardano grated cheese to serve (I had a wedge of that to hand, but no Parmigiano Reggiano, i.e. Parmesan)

Yes, it was delicious.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We had the carer's legendary clam broth.

Fresh clams (and, as it happened, wild tuna), peppers, onions, Chinese cabbage, carrots - shredded into sticks, - cherry tomatoes, ginger, chillies, and I am not sure what else. But delicious.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Frozen pizza here. I’m tired to the bone and going to bed early. (My friend’s daughter is taking an Uber here. “I’ll leave the light on for her.” Haha.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.