Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm thinking of getting two of these:

To go alongside my older 4k monitor. I think having three 4k monitors would be perfect for my requirements, but before I buy two of the monitors in the link above, I wanted to know what everyone else was doing? I can't afford the Apple monitors.

macacam

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
Do yourself a favor and find something in 144hz. It'll be a little pricey but it can definitely be budgeted if you have the ability to swap them out 1 at a time.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Do yourself a favor and find something in 144hz. It'll be a little pricey but it can definitely be budgeted if you have the ability to swap them out 1 at a time.
I know 144Hz monitors are better but I'll be mainly programming so I'm not sure if I'll benefit that much from having them.

macacam

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
I know 144Hz monitors are better but I'll be mainly programming so I'm not sure if I'll benefit that much from having them.
Yeah, I don't really do anything that calls for a higher refresh rate either. I wasn't sold on them till I tried it out. I'm sure you'll be fine with 60hz. That's just something I'd pay extra for and thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
No. Why on earth would you want that as a requirement for going to higher refresh rates?
Because it is for adaptive sync, if your frame rate drops below 144fps, your monitor refresh rate will follow it to the same number. Without, you'll get screen tearing like you do on 60Hz monitors, and your gameplay goes beneath 60fps. That is why having FreeSync even on 60Hz monitors is worthwhile. Sure, you won't get the benefit of 144Hz, but you won't get any screen tearing if your frame rate drops because your monitor refresh rate adapts to the display contents.

Reactions: drrich2

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I’m using a pair of LG UltraFine 32UN880-B Ergo Monitors. They look great and you can purchase 2 for less than a single ASD.

Reactions: Lomaxxx

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Because it is for adaptive sync, if your frame rate drops below 144fps, your monitor refresh rate will follow it to the same number. Without, you'll get screen tearing like you do on 60Hz monitors, and your gameplay goes beneath 60fps. That is why having FreeSync even on 60Hz monitors is worthwhile. Sure, you won't get the benefit of 144Hz, but you won't get any screen tearing if your frame rate drops because your monitor refresh rate adapts to the display contents.
Thank you for the explanation. MacOS supports adaptive sync.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
I plan to use 2 sets of 32ul950 with Mac Studio since I already own them. (one on its default stand, one on Humanscale M8.1 monitor arm). This is my computer setup I use for Macbook Pro and what not.
Compare to what I have now, Studio Display doesn't make me wanting to switch over.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
This whole monitor search as an alternative to the Studio Display has been a cluster****. Of the 32" ones I've tried I'm constantly getting flickering... especially when I use gestures to swipe screens left and right... My studio isn't expected to arrive until the first week of April but I've been very disappointed and frustrated in the sub $500 4k monitor search.... ?????

Reactions: SpotOnT

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I’m using a pair of LG UltraFine 32UN880-B Ergo Monitors. They look great and you can purchase 2 for less than a single ASD.

How is the text size and sharpness? I'm looking at these if I replace my iMac but fear the drop from 5K and jump in size may be noticeably less sharp.
Thanks.

e-dub

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Once mine arrives, I'll be using it with a 5k Ultrafine I bought used a while ago.

jaunecitrine

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
I bought myself a Huawei Mateview 3:2 28.2" Monitor. Its aluminum besels are thinner than the new Studio Display!
It doesn't have a webcam, sound is ok, mics not so good. BUT. I get the minimalist look I want.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
How is the text size and sharpness? I'm looking at these if I replace my iMac but fear the drop from 5K and jump in size may be noticeably less sharp.
Thanks.

I'm running one of them with my 2017 iMac 5K at same Retina resolution of the iMac 5K Default (2560x1440) and text is big and sharp, very sharp with sharpness set at only 40 on the LG. Color accuracy is a steep up compared to the iMac 5K display. This monitor has 2 x Calibration slots and it's compatible with LG's Calibration Studio software, meaning you don't need to use GPU resources as the calibration is stored in the monitor itself. Just get a Datacolor SpyderX Pro or Elite or a X-Rite Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro or Plus as those are fully compatible and supported by LG's Calibration Studio software.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 9.11.19 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EugW and Pug72

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I don't have a Studio (yet) but I would continue to use my Samsung 34" Ultrawide Thunderbolt monitor that I currently use with my MBP for single cable convenience. This monitor also has a HDMI input so can have both devices plugged into it. I just love this form factor, but if I needed Retina or higher resolution or higher refresh rates I wouldn't use it but I don't have such requirements. I just love the ultra wide format and wish Apple would consider releasing one.

czyzczyz

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
I'll be using the same monitors I'm using with my Mac Pro:

• a Lenovo S28U-10 (UHD, 27", bright, made for business-folk rather than graphic artists but punches above its weight and has very minimal bezels. It appears to be $265 on Amazon at the moment, though I think it might be a discontinued product.) Text and graphics look very retina-y on it, I doubt I could tell the difference between 4k and 5k with my eyes more than a few inches from the display.

• a QNIX QX2710 (27", 2560x1440, cost $214 back in 2016 and was the same LG panel everyone was using). This one's bezel is very ugly and it's slow to switch inputs and has an annoying menu system, I might replace it with another Lenovo S28U when it dies. Or maybe I'll give one of those super-wide displays a try.

I calibrate 'em with an i1DisplayPro, but for checking color and evaluating outputs I've got a Flanders Scientific.

The Studio Display looks like a very nice product but doesn't look like a great value proposition for me.

• I work in sRGB/rec.709 and verify imagery on a reference monitor and trust in scopes/waveforms so don't need P3. In fact it can sometimes be more difficult to calibrate a wide gamut monitor to accurately represent rec.709 unless you shell out for a spectrophotometer rather than a more-affordable colorimeter. Apple's got a history of shipping monitors with better than average pre-calibration so that might not be an issue.

• I already have 5.1 in my office so have no need for a monitor with tiny built-in speakers (though reportedly they sound good for their size).

• I use my laptop for zoom so don't need a webcam built into a display. Half the time on work calls I turn my video off.

As nice as 5k sounds, 4k for 1/6 the price works for me.

I mention all this not to criticize the idea of purchasing Apple's new display -- it does look beautiful and minimal and I think those who buy it will enjoy sitting down to work in front of it. If money was no object I'd get two. But if a $1500+ monitor sounds like a lot to you, don't fret. You can compromise for a lot less and get something functionally equivalent in all the ways that likely matter for your work.

If I come to regret not buying the Studio Display, I figure I can always save up and buy one next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.