Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2017- What platform do you play games on?

• Mostly PC

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Mostly Mac

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Mostly console

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Mostly iOS or Android

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Multiple platforms- describe

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Other- describe

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Currently 100% PC with X3: Albion Prelude. I'm blaming you personally and your goddarn thread last week which reminded me that game existed. I haven't stopped playing it since then and it's currently running AFK on 1000% SETA for my universe traders while I'm at work.

I had some stupid mod on the Mac version that I couldn't remove even after uninstalling/reinstalling the game through Steam. So that's why she's running through BootCamp at the moment.

But otherwise... it would depend what I want to play. Mac for Civ 5 online with friends. Console for GT Sport on the PS4. Other than that I don't really play any other games.

Reactions: Huntn

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Today I’m 80% PC, 10% Console, 7% iOS, 3% MacOS.

I think mostly tablets do to most historical/strategy/board games are not on video game systems and tabs are untethered which means no having television/monitor attachments when it does not have to be or needed.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Shorter list:

Not Tablets (well, Switch is a hybrid).
Not Smartphones
[doublepost=1513802408][/doublepost]
Currently 100% PC with X3: Albion Prelude. I'm blaming you personally and your goddarn thread last week which reminded me that game existed. I haven't stopped playing it since then and it's currently running AFK on 1000% SETA for my universe traders while I'm at work.

Don't you hate that?

I haven't played X3 after reading that thread - I'm afraid, very afraid... :eek:

;)

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I had some stupid mod on the Mac version that I couldn't remove even after uninstalling/reinstalling the game through Steam. So that's why she's running through BootCamp at the moment.

But otherwise... it would depend what I want to play. Mac for Civ 5 online with friends. Console for GT Sport on the PS4. Other than that I don't really play any other games.
LOL :D:D

X3: I heard you can do that AFK ON SETA Universe traders. As you probably know I got frustrated when I got my second freighter, and I was having to hold it’s hand, and think I ended up less efficient than when I had one freighter. I’m going to ask you questions in the X3 thread. :)

Last edited:

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Only 1 computer to choose from, iMac. Currently playing an Uncharted game for Android in an emulator.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Almost all PC with the exceptions being a Nintendo Switch, mainly for its 1st party games, and a RasPie for retro console gaming.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Mostly consoles (Xbox one is my main console, PS4 for exclusives) and my iMac for anything between NES and PS1 game era (openEmu is a fantastic program, even better than playing retro games on my old PC). Sometimes I'll play some mac games on steam but I never was a PC gamer for recent games from the start so its not different with the Mac.

I used to play some games on iOS when iPhone and iPad was new, but since a couple of years now I completely stopped playing those games.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My goal is to play Mario Karts 64 again on a wide screen tv. My original super NES 64 version looks like crap on the wide screen.

58DF7783-7583-4856-BCD5-9DA50DEB1051.jpeg
There is hope:
OMG! Nintendo 64 Classic Edition Trademark is CONFIRMED
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/games...ndo-64-classic-release-date-specs-price-games

Any other options?

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
My estimate is...
50% iPad
30% PC (bootcamp)
20% mac

Many years ago it was consoles but they bore me now. Then i was mostly mac but then had to have Planet Coaster which is Win only. Now its more iPad cause i can play in bed or wherever i want. As i get older i no longer care about frame rate or fast paced action. I just want to pick up where i left off. Sort of a continue that 'story' if you will.

The one big drawback of so much iPad gaming is battery life that i now have to keep tabs of. When i played console or mac more i didnt worry about that as they are always plugged in. A trade off i understand though. Now wheres that darn lightning cable...:mad:

batrush

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2017
50% console, 50% PC. Mac is a wasteland, iOS has a few good games but they are all ports of console/PC games.

Larry_Gilmore

Suspended
Oct 11, 2017
Mostly I play a game on my PC. Before I have Console but now I have the only PC for playing games that's why now mostly I play the game on my PC.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
At one point it was mainly my PS4, simply because it’s what my friends had and online games are just more fun with good company. Destiny 2 drew me a little more back into Xbox for the same reason.
About 3 weeks ago I finally started my PC build though after saving for a while. I’m using that heavily now for certain games like PUBG and Overwatch. Both games I’ve wanted to get into for a while.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mostly I play a game on my PC. Before I have Console but now I have the only PC for playing games that's why now mostly I play the game on my PC.

At one point it was mainly my PS4, simply because it’s what my friends had and online games are just more fun with good company. Destiny 2 drew me a little more back into Xbox for the same reason.
About 3 weeks ago I finally started my PC build though after saving for a while. I’m using that heavily now for certain games like PUBG and Overwatch. Both games I’ve wanted to get into for a while.

My hesitance to play before a TV is that my preference is keyboard mouse or dedicated joystick. With my PC, I’ve got a desk to put those things. And the addition of my Occulus Rift makes it a slam dunk. For control, the console controller while it may have conviently place buttons, is not as accurate as the two other options I mentioned, at least in my experience. And with my Razer gaming mouse and Nostromo, I’ve got buttons aplenty. :) I’ll concede that consoles are good for local group gaming. I’ve probably played more Minecraft on that than any other venue.

Reactions: Stella

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I would say currently:
- 65% PC
- 20% iPad
- 10% Mac
- 5% PS Vita

Currently I'm still playing Elex and Divinity Original Sin 2 on PC, Civilization VI and KotOR on iPad, Pillars of Eternity and a beta game on Mac, and Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II on the PS Vita.

I am intentionally minimizing my Mac game time - focused on doing more music work in my free time, so isolating my Mac as a 'game free' zone is helping :)

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
Mostly Xbox One X
Bootcamp for Overwatch and Rocket League when i'm hanging out in bed
Nintendo Switch was my go to gaming until I got sick of Splatoon and NBA 2K18 was garbage.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Mostly Xbox One X
Bootcamp for Overwatch and Rocket League when i'm hanging out in bed
Nintendo Switch was my go to gaming until I got sick of Splatoon and NBA 2K18 was garbage.
Rocket league is also on Mac and it’s running great.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
About 50% on consoles, and 50% on my Mac (as per my signature). When play on my Mac, 90% is playing in Windows. 10% (only simple games) in Parallel.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Pretty much 100% X-Box One for me. I don't even play on my iPhone anymore (used to love playing Bookworm, but it's outdated now). The wife and son have PC's for gaming and my wife also has her own X-Box One, WiiU, and Switch.

Grade

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
85% Mac
0% PC/Windows
10% PS4
5% iPhone/ipad

Lats two years games have pretty much out of my scope. I'm starting again. I have no PC-Windows at home at the moment and play on my iMac is Football Manager/Football Manager Touch and Civ 6. On my PS4 is basically at this point Fifa 18, Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. Iphone is sporadically (mainly Angry Birds 2, the levels not the online stuff) and my iPad 2, well... old iPad, enough said.

My plan is to had Desktop or laptop gaming to play a few more, mainly Planet Coaster, but at this point the setup above is quite sufficient. Also I have not enough funds for everything. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.