Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2021- What Platform do you primarily play games on?

• Mac

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • PC

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Console

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • iOS

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Android

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mac + Console

• PC + Console

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • iOS + Console

• Android + Console

• Mac + iOS

• PC + iOS/Android

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Remember, primarily, so I did not provide every possible combo. Combo choices are for where you play 2 devices about the same amount. So if you pick for example Mac+ Console, it does not preclude that you play iOS on occasion.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
A lot depends on what type of game it is, strategy/builder/management games go straight to computer for example.

Generally speaking, all things being equal my priority is PS5 > Mac > Windows.

PS5 as it can play most games that come out, and trophies are my one achievement system I actually care about. I try to consolidate them all in one place.

If it isn't available on PS5 or if it is a strategy game that really needs keyboard/mouse, I try Mac first. If there is no mac version available, I move to Windows via Bootcamp. To date, there has only ever been two games I have needed Bootcamp for, everything else is covered by PS5 or Mac.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
is there a good digital golf game out there?
not like i live in tropical Florida with more golf courses than every food chain food courses
but we do live in a technological age

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm 90% PC, 10% Consol (X-Box 360), and I admit there are times when I scream at Windows 10. There is a price to pay for gaming on a PC.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Windows is the only decent gaming platform IMO which offers all kinds of genres, with plenty of 3rd party support, such as Voice Attack, modding etc, and not forgetting the most powerful. Consoles and mobile OS do not provide such a rich gaming platform.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
is there a good digital golf game out there?
not like i live in tropical Florida with more golf courses than every food chain food courses
but we do live in a technological age

Reactions: MBAir2010

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mostly PC, though I now have a Xbox X, which in some respects is more for the future but I still enjoy playing on my PC more then a console

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Windows is the only decent gaming platform IMO which offers all kinds of genres, with plenty of 3rd party support, such as Voice Attack, modding etc, and not forgetting the most powerful. Consoles and mobile OS do not provide such a rich gaming platform.
I greatly prefer keyboard/mouse to console controller. I remember decades ago how it struck me just how inaccurate the console controller joystick is as compared to mouse or trackball control.

Reactions: Stella

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I greatly prefer keyboard/mouse to console controller. I remember decades ago how it struck me just how inaccurate the console controller joystick is as compared to mouse or trackball control.
Its funny you mentioned that, I transitioned over from a PS4 to playing on a PC, and just recently, picked up a Xbox X. What I found was that playing fallout 4 on the Xbox, i was a lot less accurate. Granted, there's a bit of getting used to the controller and I see many PC game players using a controller, so its not that controllers are bad. I have the MS subscription which includes EA Play, I might see if the remastered/released Mass effect games are available to play on my Xbox later.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Its funny you mentioned that, I transitioned over from a PS4 to playing on a PC, and just recently, picked up a Xbox X. What I found was that playing fallout 4 on the Xbox, i was a lot less accurate. Granted, there's a bit of getting used to the controller and I see many PC game players using a controller, so its not that controllers are bad. I have the MS subscription which includes EA Play, I might see if the remastered/released Mass effect games are available to play on my Xbox later.
I think it depends on the game. I play Forza on my PC with a controller, but I’ll play Breakpoint/TheDivision2 with keyboard and mouse. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider using a controller after realizing the keyboard controls were somewhat awkward.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it depends on the game. I play Forza on my PC with a controller, but I’ll play Breakpoint/TheDivision2 with keyboard and mouse. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider using a controller after realizing the keyboard controls were somewhat awkward.
Oh no question, and since my focus has mostly been FPS/RPGs my experience has largely be limited

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I did not mention it but it was after playing Marathon on my Mac and then playing it’s sequel, Halo on the Xbox. At the time I was using a trackball for gaming, and that itty bitty thumb joystick on the Xbox controller just sucked in comparison when it came to accurate aiming. I really disliked it.

What’s interesting is that they stopped making trackballs which I thought was superior to the mouse because you only had to move your wrist/hand, not your entire arm. However, the advantage of 20 buttons on a gaming mouse is hard to beat and superior to any trackball I’ve seen.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I was a life long PC gamer but I switched to PS4 Pro fro gaming. That finally let me to ditch my Windows PC and buy Mac mini. But I occasionally play some good old games on my PC like Max Payne, Alan Wake, Doom 3 and even some DOS games from my childhood.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Fully a console gamer.

I still own gaming capable PC/Mac hardware with a Vega 56 in my Linux box, RTX2060 in my Windows box, and RX580 in my Mac Pro - but dont really use it for much beyond experimentation in Windows and Linux. On the Mac side gaming is now completely dead to me.

I used to game on my phone while on the train to work, but when Apple removed 32 bit support they decimated my library so I bought a PS Vita. Haven't touched an iOS game (or any other paid App) since and never plan to again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.