Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saiko2225

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
Hi there!

I work in photo / video field...
I used to send files to my external WDs and then backing that up on other WDs = yes I have a lot of WDs lying around...
2 years ago I switched onto OWC thunderbay 8, which works in RAID with Softraid softeware by OWC. Works beautifully.
BUT,
the fear is if the whole unit (owc thunderbay 8) goes to hell for some reason.
Therefore,
I'm searching for the simplest solution of having a backup system to the OWC thunderbay 8 raid unit. Meaning, I wanna have files that are on OWC TB8 backuped on separate unit (was thinking of thunderbay 4).
But,
since it would only be a simpel backup, I wouldn't want it to be in a RAID mode, just to be sure that RAID software cannot mess with my Backup unit at all.

Computer -> OWC TB8 (raid) -> Backup unit for a simple backup (large hdds which would work as a single unit. Only time I'd use that is when making backup from owc tb8..then the unit would be put in a safe until next backup).
*jbod - bunch of disks
*spanned volume
..heard about these two terms, not sure whats what.

Would appreciate concrete solutions and not theories, as I simply won't have time for trials/errors :)

thanks a bunch in advance!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
OWC/Macsales has a good primer on the topic. Also speak to a sales/tech rep regarding your use case.

Then you can come back here and have a discerning take on any advice/suggestions/opinions. I’m sure you will find what works best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.