Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Well people already know about iphone activation lock and I doubt that has done anything to reduce "crimes of opportunity."

Like I said if a bad guy sees an iphone sitting around he is not going to just walk past it no matter what he knows about activation lock.

STOP COMPARING A 30 DOLLARS PIECE OF PLASTIC WITH THE IPHONE.

NO ONE WILL WANT TO STEAL A 30 BUCKS TRACKING DEVICE.

And don’t get me started on that nonsense about “oh activation unlock doesn’t stop people steal iPhones”. Well guess what, PEOPLE SELL THE IPHONE PARTS. THE HARDWARE. You can take apart an iPhone, sell the screen, case...etc. why do you think dead iPhones still sell for good prices on eBay?

what parts are you going to resell a stolen AirTag for?

No one will want to steal your 30 dollars piece of plastic tracking device. End of story.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Which particular comments where Apple confirm it's for tracking stolen items? It's designed to allow you to find lost or misplaced items.
The OP asked what will stop someone from stealing an AirTag. The answer is Pairing Lock which Apple has disclosed repeatedly now in various interviews. That's what stops someone from re-purposing your AirTag and making it their own. Therefore the answer is not "nothing"

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The OP asked what will stop someone from stealing an AirTag. The answer is Pairing Lock which Apple has disclosed repeatedly now in various interviews. That's what stops someone from re-purposing your AirTag and making it their own. Therefore the answer is not "nothing"

Ah, but that stops someone re-using your tag, not stop them stealing it

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
And what happens when they turn it on?
The thief doesn't care much about that.

Personally, I don't think that theft of Airtags will be a major problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if some do get stolen and sold to unsuspecting people.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
The kill switch in iPhones dramatically impacted theft of iPhones which still have some value for repair parts if not as a whole phone. These air tags don't have that, will be useless to a thief, and have the sole job of being a tracker which wouldn't be smart for someone to steal.

The bigger issue is how durable they are in case someone discovers them on something they actually want to steal. Like a Tile, I'd hope most users would conceal them instead of showing them off.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
The kill switch in iPhones dramatically impacted theft of iPhones which still have some value for repair parts if not as a whole phone. These air tags don't have that, will be useless to a thief, and have the sole job of being a tracker which wouldn't be smart for someone to steal.

The bigger issue is how durable they are in case someone discovers them on something they actually want to steal. Like a Tile, I'd hope most users would conceal them instead of showing them off.
They aren't all that durable in that there will be instructions on how to disable them on the web (I assume remove the battery). Being well hidden won't help too much either, once they start beeping.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you watch Rene Ritchie's video they go into this further, but as other people already guessed, the AirTag is tied to your Apple ID with something Apple has called Pairing Lock (essentially Activation Lock that is seen with iPhones or other devices). This means that someone who finds an AirTag cannot simply re-pair it with another iPhone, it would have to be unpaired from the first device before it can be re-paired.
That is a very good video. Apple should have included all that information during their presentation.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
In a short time from now ...... AirTags will be such a common site, a thief won't bother stealing them. I would be wary of having them in the open the first month or two though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.