Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpa7000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
屏幕截图 2023-03-12 202029.png

屏幕截图 2023-03-12 201613.png

屏幕截图 2023-03-12 201506.png

屏幕截图 2023-03-12 201414.png

屏幕截图 2023-03-12 200852.png

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
So we know it's a MacBook Pro. Windows shows it has an Intel Core2 CPU, T7400. So let's hit EveryMac.com.

There is only one model with the T7400 identifier, and that would be the late 2006 model:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So we know it's a MacBook Pro.
It is not a MacBook Pro, it's a plastic 13" MacBook that someone painted- it's also clearly not a 15" model.
The 15" Pro would have had a full size DVI port on the opposite side from the MagSafe port, not mini-DVI as this computer has. There would have also been Firewire 400 and 800 on that same side, not on the power side.
The 15" models also had a physical latch on them, with holes for the latches on the top case, not the bevel cut for the magnetic closure like the 13" MacBook has as seen in these photos.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
It is not a MacBook Pro, it's a plastic 13" MacBook that someone painted- it's also clearly not a 15" model.
The 15" Pro would have had a full size DVI port on the opposite side from the MagSafe port, not mini-DVI as this computer has. There would have also been Firewire 400 and 800 on that same side, not on the power side.
The 15" models also had a physical latch on them, with holes for the latches on the top case, not the bevel cut for the magnetic closure like the 13" MacBook has as seen in these photos.

Hmm. Interesting. I had to look up a video review because the full-size DVI bit threw me for a loop even though EM said it had one. And yeah, it would stick out like a sore thumb. Also, the trackpad isn't right. I thought that for that time period, it would have had a separate trackpad button, and yeah, it should. This is just weird. Why would someone try to make a newer laptop look like an older one? Even Windows is mis-identifying it? Unless the CPU was replaced, if that's possible? Wow this is odd.

EDIT: yeah, the hinge is wrong. Much newer design. Black bevel on the display... also newer. WTF?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Why would someone try to make a newer laptop look like an older one?
They're not. This is a 2007 MacBook painted to look like a 2021-2023 14 or 16" MacBook Pro.
Due to the angle of the photos it's hard to tell, but there is a separate trackpad button– you can tell in the one photo where the edge changes toward the front of the trackpad where the button is.
Look up pictures of the black and white 13" MacBook from 2007. The ports, keyboard, and power button are exact matches aside from the color.

Reactions: anshuvorty

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
From the CPU speed/type, and overall port arrangement, it looks like that's simply a black 2.16 Ghz MacBook 2,1 that's been rather well painted (spray painted, I'd reckon) to resemble a 13" MacBook Pro. You can even see the outline of the battery on the bottom of the case in some of the photos.

To what end this has been done though, I have no idea. Perhaps they're trying to foist these on unsuspecting buyers on eBay, which is a shame: black MacBooks are actually somewhat valuable among some collectors and retro Mac enthusiasts. (At least in my experience; I've seen black A1181s sell for 2-3x the price of an equivalently spec'd white model.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Does it have any form of MacOS on it, or does it only run Windows? It does indeed look like a "clone" to me.

Edit: It looks like some of the other posts are right; a modified Mid 2007 MacBook.

Last edited:

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
As others have said, the port selection looks identical to that on a polycarbonate MacBook , but it seems to lack the button bar at the bottom of the trackpad that those had:

Yes, and it also has that notch at the bottom for lifting the cover up more easily that is more typical of newer models and clearly not present on that example photo you have of the polycarbonate MacBook. Also, here's another thing. Look at the ports in the photo of the original post. Those ports don't have cleanly-cut edges to them. It's almost like someone took a shell with no ports and cut them out by hand.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Whatever it is, it's an impressive job.
Looks like it's using a mid-2007 white MacBook logic board, with a repainted case and transplanted Multitouch trackpad.
It boggles my mind how anybody would invest so much time and energy on modding outdated hardware for little functional purpose.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Yes, and it also has that notch at the bottom for lifting the cover up more easily that is more typical of newer models and clearly not present on that example photo you have of the polycarbonate MacBook. Also, here's another thing. Look at the ports in the photo of the original post. Those ports don't have cleanly-cut edges to them. It's almost like someone took a shell with no ports and cut them out by hand.
The polycarbonate MacBooks had a notch for lifting up the screen. You can barely see it in the photos here because it's white and blends into the case but it's there. The reason why it's black on the model here is because it's a painted black MacBook. That's also why the edges look "cutout" (paint flaked off) and why the Pro in MacBook Pro is crooked.

@chrfr is right.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
The polycarbonate MacBooks had a notch for lifting up the screen. You can barely see it in the photos here because it's white and blends into the case but it's there.

Ah yes... I see it now when I zoom in on it.

The reason why it's black on the model here is because it's a painted black MacBook. That's also why the edges look "cutout" (paint flaked off) and why the Pro in MacBook Pro is crooked.

@chrfr is right.

It seems odd that the paint flaked off in the same way (to a point, and in the same general pattern in the direction they point). The USB ports are pretty identical in that way. Hmmm. Maybe it's not painted, but a vinyl cover? That would make more sense to me than painting it. Not that any of this makes much sense. 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.