Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, generally speaking when changing to a new phone such as from 6S Plus to 15 Plus, is it recommended to install all apps and enter the settings manually as new or do a backup of the old phone and restore the backup to a new one? For PC, the former method is recommended to start fresh. How about iPhone and IOS?

I backup up all the photos and videos of the old phone to an external storage already. I don't need them in the new phone.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I have backed up and restored on new hardware every time I get a new iPhone. My logic is, if there's a problem I can always wipe and reload anyway, which I've had to do once or twice over the years and eight iPhones. If you use iCloud as a backup solution, it's all pretty seamless.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I only start from scratch if there's an issue that I suspect is some sort of corrupted preference. I have experienced such issues transferring when restoring from a backup.

On my latest iPhone change, I just transferred everything via the "Quick Start" method between iPhones as I don't back up to iCloud.

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
I usually restore from a backup (or transfer from an older iPhone), and I've never had any issues doing it that way. That said, it's mostly just a matter of convenience, so if you prefer to start over fresh, it won't cost you anything more than a few more minutes of work (probably).

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I tried Quick Start. I skipped the part related to Sim card and continued. While the 15 Plus seems to be ready to use, the 6S Plus screen keeps showing "Transferring Data to "iPhone" ... Time remaining: estimating..." or "Transferring Data to "iPhone" ... Time remaining: About 3 minutes". It has been like that for about an hour. Shall I Cancel it an hope for the best or continue to wait?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.