Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
By that time the mobile OS and the desktop OS will be one and the same, So I'd guess it'd be called iOS 8?

Rubbish. They won't completely converge whilst we are still using the current input methods.

There is no way to do this properly without compromising one, or both the user experiences.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
When differentiating software versions it does have value. Otherwise Mac OS X 10.4.10 would have been the same version as 10.4.1 which it wasn't.

My eyes have been opened.

----------

Does no one pay attention to things that have been discussed on this forum for years?

Did you think of reading this topic to see if this was discussed before you posted? Because it's been discussed and answered three times in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14592812/

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14594029/

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14767030/

For the 5,343,343rd time, Version numbers are not decimals!

My eyes have been opened.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Saying "O S Ten" is way faster then "O S E LE VEN" and this will influenciate apple keeping OS X for some time still..

ThatGreekMacGuy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Sparta, Greece
They could just continue on...10.10, 10.11, etc.

I dont think so. That would be silly. Then they could just keep going forever like 10.100,...,10.1000, you name it. For instance 10.10 is mathematically equal to 10.1 which was the 1st OS X software and Mountain Lion is the 8th as it's called OS X 10.8. So, according to human logic, after Mountain Lion, 10.9 will come out and after that BOOM... OS XII (whick is actually OS 11). So there you go!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
For instance 10.10 is mathematically equal to 10.1
Version numbers have never abided by mathematical rules, especially when it comes to trailing zeros. Many times it something like platform number X, release number Y, and build Z. (I don't know if Apple actually call them platform, release, build. I'm just speaking generically). Then it get's shorted to X.Y.Z. So no, 10.1 and 10.10 are not the same thing.

Edit: I had to look up an example: Apple released both 10.4.1 and 10.4.10.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I dont think so. That would be silly. Then they could just keep going forever like 10.100,...,10.1000, you name it. For instance 10.10 is mathematically equal to 10.1 which was the 1st OS X software and Mountain Lion is the 8th as it's called OS X 10.8. So, according to human logic, after Mountain Lion, 10.9 will come out and after that BOOM... OS XII (whick is actually OS 11). So there you go!

10.0 was the first Mac OS X version, 10.8 is the ninth Mac OS X version.

And as mentioned countless times before, 10.1 is not the same as 10.10 when speaking of software versions, otherwise Mac OS X 10.4.1 would have been the same as 10.4.10, and Tiger got up to 10.4.11.

paintersforms

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
... The last release of Plan 9 was released a decade ago, and Apple could more easily upgrade the BSD base of OS X.

Right, but Plan 9 still newer technology, at least in terms of the ideas behind it. I remember when Apple used to advertise about all the old code in Windows, but you can trace OS X's roots all the way back to 1969!

Anyway, I take your point. Technically, cars are 19th century tech, so maybe once an industry matures, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. I'm a fan of Plan 9's philosophy, though-- clustering devices to create a system rather than having a bunch of different systems talking to each other. It seems like an OS for the cloud.

Last edited:

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar

People really need to read threads before they reply to them...perhaps what they want to say has already been addressed before (like 10 times)?

eieiosoftware

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Some thoughts

I think the moniker "OSX" has become what "MacOS" used to be. It used to be MacOS was the name of the OS, and the version number followed, for example MacOS 9.2 or Mac OS X. Somewhere along the line, OSX became the name of the OS, not just it's iteration denotation. Whereas MacOS used to appear in a sentence with Windows, now it's "Windows or OSX" The trailing number has become the only denotation for version number. So we get OSX 10.8.1, which is spoken "OS ten ten point eight point one." For this reason, they could keep OSX as the primary base name of the OS, much like Windows is just Windows with different versions (vista, 7, XP)

So, I believe the next major version will be called OSX 11, OS11, or i11, but not the ridiculous OSXI.

That being said, as long as we keep speaking "OSX" as "O S Ten" and not "O S eX" then OSX 11 will look OK, but will sound awkward when spoken.

For this reason alone, I think the best bet is on OS11 or i11.

When Apple announced Mountain Lion, they said they'd start a new yearly cycle on OS X, the same yearly cycle that iOS sees.

Mountain Lion will be the last release under the alias "OS X". From then on, iOS will replace OS X as the name, and will be on the exact same cycle as iOS is now. iOS will run on your Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

However, just because OS X will be called iOS, doesn't mean it'll lose all of its OS X appearance.

iOS 6 won't be a significant upgrade this year, but iOS 7 will. iOS 7 will get rid of the application grid that is the current user interface and introduce likes of widgets and so on. iOS 7 will also be the first release for the Macintosh.

From then on, each iOS release will be yearly and will be released for the Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch at the same time.

iOS 7 will be released summer 2013, and it'll be a huge merge of OS X and iOS in terms of user interface.

HAHAHAHA LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE DEAD WRONG!!!!

All of these people saying that the two systems will merge anytime soon, are talking out of their ass. OSX and iOS will remain separate for a long time, assuming they will merge at all. You people were saying since 2009 (when the iPad rumors were in full swing) that the iPhone OS and OSX will merge either A) around the time the unreleased tablet gets introduced or B) a year or two after. Well I'm happy you people were wrong and not running apple.

I agree with a lot said here, OSX will be around for a long time. If and when (and it's a big if) OS 11 comes out, it will be something revolutionary, and it won't be called XI. Either they will call it 11 or some other naming scheme.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
All of these people saying that the two systems will merge anytime soon, are talking out of their ass.

Underneath they're pretty much the same sort of thing. I still believe Apple will merge them for marketing reasons at some point in the near future.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Underneath they're pretty much the same sort of thing. I still believe Apple will merge them for marketing reasons at some point in the near future.
That makes absolutely no sense. Apple does not market iOS as a separate product. Although it is only $20 US, Apple sells OS X as a separate product for Macintosh owners. iOS is part of your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and TV. It is aimed at everyone--Mac users, Windows users, Linux users, and people who do not own a traditional computer. From a purely marketing point of view, to "merge" iOS and OS X would signal to everyone that Apple is turning its back on non-Mac customers.

Last edited:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
They really made the change stand out by switching from numbers to the letter X (yes, it's still a number, I know), and started using cats for code names (actually this came later and was back filled). They started a trend.

Actually it didn't come later, cheetah and puma were just internal codenames that later caught on, they weren't made up ex post facto.

Year old thread etc.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Yeah... Not only will portable devices have the power (heck, we already do), but feature-wise, both OSs are getting more alike. We'll hit a point where it might be pointless to keep them separate.

Other than iOS devices are touch-screen and Macs are designed for mouse. Their apps included.

drewblay

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
which is spoken "OS ten ten point eight point one."

I have worked in many Mac environments, I have never, ever, heard anyone pronounce OS X as "OS Ten". It has always been pronounced "OS Ex". The only time I have ever heard any one saying it should be "OS ten" is on MacRumors.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Umm, So you're telling me that 10.10 is a real number? They have to release 11 xi is only right

Version numbering of applications differs from mathematical numbers. And 10.1 is not the same as 10.10 when it comes to that version numbering, look at some browser or video transcoder application versions to see that.

It has also already been explained numerous times in this quite older thread, thus a resurrection might not have been necessary with capable reading comprehension.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have worked in many Mac environments, I have never, ever, heard anyone pronounce OS X as "OS Ten". It has always been pronounced "OS Ex". The only time I have ever heard any one saying it should be "OS ten" is on MacRumors.

Hmm that's odd because when I bought my very first Mac (Snow iMac) in 2001 it came with OS 9 (Classic) and OS X (1st edition). All the Mac reps when they had actual Mac reps at their store at CompUSA referred to it as OS X (Ten). Other Mac shops i've visited have referred to it as OS X (Ten).

The Best Buys I go to as well that have Mac reps refer to it as Ten. That's how I always referred to it as well especially since I came from Mac Classic (9) to OS X (Ten)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I think the moniker "OSX" has become what "MacOS" used to be. It used to be MacOS was the name of the OS, and the version number followed, for example MacOS 9.2 or Mac OS X. Somewhere along the line, OSX became the name of the OS, not just it's iteration denotation. Whereas MacOS used to appear in a sentence with Windows, now it's "Windows or OSX" The trailing number has become the only denotation for version number. So we get OSX 10.8.1, which is spoken "OS ten ten point eight point one." For this reason, they could keep OSX as the primary base name of the OS, much like Windows is just Windows with different versions (vista, 7, XP)

So, I believe the next major version will be called OSX 11, OS11, or i11, but not the ridiculous OSXI.

That being said, as long as we keep speaking "OSX" as "O S Ten" and not "O S eX" then OSX 11 will look OK, but will sound awkward when spoken.

For this reason alone, I think the best bet is on OS11 or i11.

xiOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.