Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
I love iMacs but they're a minority of sales within a minority of Apple sales that are Macs.
As long as no model has over 50% of sales in their respective segment, they are all a minority of sales...

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
When I worked for Apple a while back most of the iMacs that were being sold were the 27" ones. The 21.5" wasn't a big seller.
Apple thought that by going to 24" they would satisfy both but it just shows how manipulative they are as those that want big screen are forced to mini/studio + ASD combo which is insanely overpriced compared to the value the 27" iMac provided.

I dare to say that iMac is neglected because it just 'neither here nor there' kinda product. It doesn't even have Mx Pro chip as an option so Apple essentially killed it for any prosumers and now the iMac is education mostly.

Apple is master at making people spend more. They've been doing it for years and it seems they are not stopping.

Just look at their overpriced XDR that is so outdated. Studio Display needs update too (at least the camera).

The value we had with 27" iMac is most likely never coming back.

As long as no model has over 50% of sales in their respective segment, they are all a minority of sales...

Reactions: Chuckeee

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
My 2018 Mini still does just fine (and it's still running on Mojave!), but an m4pro Mini might "hit the spot" and entice me to replace it...
I've had the M2 Pro mini as my main driver for a year and I'm very happy with it. I would have *liked* a 24GB RAM option, because I wanted to future-proof it a little and the only RAM options were the base 16GB, which I bought, and the 32GB for an extra four hundred bucks, which put it near the base Mac Studio.

I'm using a 2018 Mini as a headless Time Machine node, local git hub, iTunes library (about 250 GB of lossless rips), and it's great.

I don't think I could justify going from a M2 Pro mini to an M4 Pro mini just for the generational performance bump. Depending on what the bump is like, I *might* be able to talk myself into a M4 Max Studio when they finally land.

I guess I could add that the M2 Pro mini was considered a late arrival. It was expected for October 2022 but got left out and only showed up in February 2023. So when you think about timing, you could either count two years from the first *expected* release date or the *actual* release date.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
When I worked for Apple a while back most of the iMacs that were being sold were the 27" ones. The 21.5" wasn't a big seller.
Apple thought that by going to 24" they would satisfy both but it just shows how manipulative they are as those that want big screen are forced to mini/studio + ASD combo which is insanely overpriced compared to the value the 27" iMac provided.

I dare to say that iMac is neglected because it just 'neither here nor there' kinda product. It doesn't even have Mx Pro chip as an option so Apple essentially killed it for any prosumers and now the iMac is education mostly.

Apple is master at making people spend more. They've been doing it for years and it seems they are not stopping.

Just look at their overpriced XDR that is so outdated. Studio Display needs update too (at least the camera).

The value we had with 27" iMac is most likely never coming back.
The XDR is overpriced compared to what other 6K 32" HDR monitor I can buy?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
The Dell one you could snap for almost 1/3 of the price on ocassions.
So the one that's not really an HDR display but rather pseudo-HDR. Right. Sure. It's a decent screen but not even in remotely the same class. The Asus ProArt is closer but only 4K. There are tradeoffs to get to quality Apple delivered with the XDR. Sure it's long in the tooth, but the main changes you could expect today would be a greater number of local dimming zones, and I highly doubt you'd see a lower price. High-resolution large panels are just pricey to make, especially if you you're going mini-LED.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I haven’t followed WoA developments but see we expecting an official Windows build this year? And if so, should we expect easier emulation going forward?
Purchasing a Win 11 license is now agnostic to x64/ARM, you can use one key for either. The upcoming 24H2 build is geared toward better AI and support for Qualcomm's new Snapdragon Elite CPUs, which I'm sure some of the improved ARM instructions will carry over to Apple Silicon. While native booting into Windows is still out of the question, Parallels/VMWare can easily handle the virtual aspect, which will work fine for my intended use case (Visual Studio .NET web development).

Reactions: Dulcimer

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
Here is what they should do. Update the number of zones, include the stand in the price, have a webcam/faceid.

I'm sorry but for that price it really doesn't work and as Vincent from HDTV said its not even good as reference monitor which Apple so proudly compared to.

Its just overpriced beautiful box.

So the one that's not really an HDR display but rather pseudo-HDR. Right. Sure. It's a decent screen but not even in remotely the same class. The Asus ProArt is closer but only 4K. There are tradeoffs to get to quality Apple delivered with the XDR. Sure it's long in the tooth, but the main changes you could expect today would be a greater number of local dimming zones, and I highly doubt you'd see a lower price. High-resolution large panels are just pricey to make, especially if you you're going mini-LED.

Aries79

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I like how you just happen to *believe* this

I happened to forsee 3 months ago the M4 coming by mid 2024 just because I was pretty sure that Apple would switch to the N3E process as soon as they could, of course I was surprised to see it in an iPad before Macs.

Aries79

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
unlikely
theres a reason they chose model with relatively low sales as M4 starter
they probably want as much N3E capacity reserved for the iPhone chips, before they ramp up the remaining M4 chips

The MacStudio and MacPro are low sales models, so they fit pretty well.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
I answered some of this in an earlier reply. Should have known my terse post would garner some "why don't you upgrade now???" replies lol.

My usual upgrade cadence is every 8 years, but in 2020 the Intel-to-AS transition (and COVID) threw my plans for a loop. Wasn't ready to let go of Intel-based CPUs yet (due to VMWare Windows needs), so the end result was standing pat another 4 years. The laptop has always been my secondary machine next to the 2010 Mac Pro, so despite its aging speed I could slide by with it for remote work.

Now that Windows for ARM has matured enough (especially the upcoming 24H2 build), I think it's time for the next laptop to become my primary machine and replace both the 2010 Mac Pro and 2012 MBP. Waiting for the M4 will give me not only extended hardware support for that extra year or two, but maybe some new features that Apple may add (FaceID? 5G support?). If I can baby this thing a bit longer, what's another 5 months?
Windows on VMWare was all you had to say...

It used to be an issue for me, as I do some c#/.NET work, but these days most things are completely cross platform with .NET, and I can run it all native on macOS. Visual Studio isn't quite as slick on macOS, but JetBrains Rider IDE is brilliant. You can run a SQL Server instance on Docker (the container has an ARM Linux on it, with SQL Server running on that). The only thing I'd really need VMWare for would be if I was doing some Winforms dev, but I haven't done any of that in years.

Regardless, I am really hoping MS does a brilliant job with ARM Windows, and that all the ARM chip competition produces stuff just as good as Apple. It would be nice to have genuine options if macOS starts to seriously decline, or if Apple gets lazy and complacent with it's laptops agin, like it did with the butterfly generation (of which I skipped entirely, holding onto my 2015 16" retina MBP, which still works fine, but was having issues with discoloured patches on the screen).

Anyway, I hope it works out well, and you end up with an epic machine.

Reactions: ThomasJL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.