Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
After upgrading my iPhone to iOS 10.2, I lost the Videos app.

I don't love TV apps or anything, but I suppose I will get use to it. But the problem is, iTunes for Mac refuses to sync offline videos to iPhone.

I get "iTunes cannot sync movies or TV shows to the iPhone <my phone's name> because the Videos app is not installed." error. It further states "You must download the Videos app from the App Store on your iPhone in order to sync movies or TV shows."

That is all fine and good, but iOS App Store (at least in the US) does not list Videos app.

Does anyone have a link?
[doublepost=1481657956][/doublepost]Thanks to App Shopper, I found the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/videos/id1108188158?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

EDIT 2: Crap, the Cloud icon for downloading the app is grayed out.

Last edited:

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Wow... I thought they would leave the video app as an option... looks like homesharing has just been illuminated for iOS devices :/

alex.houston

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Indiana
I get "iTunes cannot sync movies or TV shows to the iPhone <my phone's name> because the Videos app is not installed." error. It further states "You must download the Videos app from the App Store on your iPhone in order to sync movies or TV shows."

Check your mac for software updates. You probably need updated iTunes on mac for syncing to work.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Check your mac for software updates. You probably need updated iTunes on mac for syncing to work.
I am running the very latest 12.5.4.42 released few hours ago. Even rebooted the Mac just to make sure.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
So I found a workaround, at least for US.
  1. Open App Store on the iOS device.
  2. Under Featured page, scroll to the bottom.
  3. Click Apple ID button the very bottom.
  4. Click View Apple ID
  5. Click Country/Region.
  6. Click Change Country or Region.
  7. Change from United States to Canada.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Click Agree.
  10. Click Cancel few time to cancel out the process.
  11. Go back to Home screen. Note that TV app is now Videos app and you will be able to sync again.
Doing so will change your App Store region to Canada. So after syncing, you will probably want to change it back to United States. Do get TV app back, repeat the steps but change Canada to United States.

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
My videos app had disappeared, and I'm in the UK. I downloaded it again from the app store and it was almost too quick. My videos were still there when it was reactivated. Cheers

Craiguyver

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, USA
  4. Click View Apple ID
  5. Click Country/Region.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Click Agree.
  10. Select Next.
  11. You will get an error message saying you must select a province. Ignore.
  12. Click Cancel few time to cancel out the process.
  13. Go back to Home screen. Note that TV app is now Videos app and you will be able to sync again.
Doing so will change your App Store region to Canada. So after syncing, you will probably want to change it back to United States. Do get TV app back, repeat the steps but change Canada to United States.

Thank you! Fixed my problems! It's totally ridiculous that we have to do this just to sync local videos but I guess that's the Apple world we live in now.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Thank you! Fixed my problems! It's totally ridiculous that we have to do this just to sync local videos but I guess that's the Apple world we live in now.

The new TV app works for local video files and it also works with Home Sharing.

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
  4. Click View Apple ID
  5. Click Country/Region.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Click Agree.
  10. Select Next.
  11. You will get an error message saying you must select a province. Ignore.
  12. Click Cancel few time to cancel out the process.
  13. Go back to Home screen. Note that TV app is now Videos app and you will be able to sync again.

Worked perfectly! Thank you! I can now stream to my iPad from computer.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Worked perfectly! Thank you! I can now stream to my iPad from computer.

This won't work for me. IT claims I have one incomplete pass, have to cancel iTunes Match and cancel Apple Music membership. I am running the latest macOS Sierra 10.12.3 beta, the latest iOS 10.2.1 beta and the latest iTunes that claims to support the TV app. Cannot put movies on my iPad pro.

FireCapt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
thanks for the help.
Apple didn't think about people that save their own videos it seems.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
They removed the autoplay feature for purchased content. The tv app plays one episode then stops. Worked fine in the Videos app.

Hugh Beaumont

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
There is no "Featured" page.
The only place Apple ID is mentioned is to add money to one's account.

• Open App Store on the iOS device.
  • Under Featured page, scroll to the bottom.
  • Click Apple ID button the very bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.