Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

I need both a desktop AND a laptop.

Which Mac Studio configuration would you recommend for someone that already owns a MacBook Pro 14" 10/16c, 1TB, 16GB?

Getting the M1 Max would essentially mean to replicate the performance (Same CPU performance of M1 Pro and M1 Max) and I prefer to have a more powerful desktop.

Is it worth getting the M1 Ultra even if I don't think I will ever need all the power? (I can't see any other solution actually!)
I'm a pro photographer and do intensive multi layers and panoramas on Lightroom and Photoshop and also work with Timelapses with Lightroom + Premiere and After Effect or Da Vinci Resolve.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless you know WHY you'd "need more" (and the fact that you're asking suggests to me that you really aren't sure about that)...

... I'd say, get the base model Studio and be done with it.
I predict that it will satisfy your needs for a desktop for at least 5-7 years to come.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Hello everyone,

I need both a desktop AND a laptop.

Which Mac Studio configuration would you recommend for someone that already owns a MacBook Pro 14" 10/16c, 1TB, 16GB?

Getting the M1 Max would essentially mean to replicate the performance (Same CPU performance of M1 Pro and M1 Max) and I prefer to have a more powerful desktop.

Is it worth getting the M1 Ultra even if I don't think I will ever need all the power? (I can't see any other solution actually!)
I'm a pro photographer and do intensive multi layers and panoramas on Lightroom and Photoshop and also work with Timelapses with Lightroom + Premiere and After Effect or Da Vinci Resolve.
Are you having to wait for anything now (exports, filters, etc) If not get the Max (but upgrade storage to at least 1tb SSD) or the base Ultra if the extra cash won't be a hardship.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Unless you know WHY you'd "need more" (and the fact that you're asking suggests to me that you really aren't sure about that)...

... I'd say, get the base model Studio and be done with it.
I predict that it will satisfy your needs for a desktop for at least 5-7 years to come.
I'm not sure if the Max is enough. I think I can benefit from the Ultra, especially for 8K timelapses. Having already M1 Pro with 16GB RAM going with the Ultra seemed like a more obvious choice for a more powerful desktop.

Are you having to wait for anything now (exports, filters, etc) If not get the Max (but upgrade storage to at least 1tb SSD) or the base Ultra if the extra cash won't be a hardship.

Don't really care if it exports in less time but need to be smooth in Premiere and After Effect with Lightroom and Photoshop open.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I'm not sure if the Max is enough. I think I can benefit from the Ultra, especially for 8K timelapses. Having already M1 Pro with 16GB RAM going with the Ultra seemed like a more obvious choice for a more powerful desktop.

Don't really care if it exports in less time but need to be smooth in Premiere and After Effect with Lightroom and Photoshop open.
If you think you can benefit from the Ultra, then get the Ultra.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpenta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.