Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I am considering the following laptops: Macbook air M2, Macbook pro M2 or 14" Macbook pro.

I'm a heavy multi-tasking user and have usualy at least the following apps open: browser, adobe illustrator, adobe photoshop, mathematica, latex editor, pycharm (compiling python), music player, wolfram mathematica, at least a few PDF-s opened,...
I will not do heavy computing, but some test runs (the final code I run remotely on a server), but will compile some code here and there.

I will also have it connected to an additional 4K screen 90% of the time.

I really really like the Air, since it is thin and portable. But can it smoothly handle these tasks without throttling, since it does not have fans?
Alternatively, the pro can probably handle more, since it's actively cooled, the 14" is more bulky (but surely has better performance).
The main problem is that I have no idea how much can the M2 air handle together with a second screen (it's been a while since I've owned a mac).

Reactions: MacAroni_

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Less expensive option: MBA with 16GB RAM (8GB is not enough and 24GB is too expensive)
More expensive option: 14" MBP base model

14" MBP is better in many regards, but is heavier and more expensive.

If it's gonna be connected to an external screen 90% of the time, then I assume portability is not as important. I'd go with the 14" MBP base model.

(I type this from the M1 MBA and I love how light it is)

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Less expensive option: MBA with 16GB RAM (8GB is not enough and 24GB is too expensive)
More expensive option: 14" MBP base model

14" MBP is better in many regards, but is heavier and more expensive.

If it's gonna be connected to an external screen 90% of the time, then I assume portability is not as important. I'd go with the 14" MBP base model.

(I type this from the M1 MBA and I love how light it is)
that m2 mba with 16gb has a gimped storage speed, if you get 512gb on the mba, the base 14inch mbp is cheaper at 1599 at amazon and bestbuy. not to mention the 14 mbp has much better screen which is mini led, that same tech for a standalone monitor is easy 2k usd. 14 also has much better speakers, more ports, and can support 2 external display.

these factors alone, a base 14 is a better money for value than a BTO m2 mba.

superr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, 16GB for sure.

I understand that the 14 is better in every aspect and it would be a rational decision. I am really in love with the thin design of the air, though. The problem really is that I do not have a feeling how powerful the M2 MBA is.
I had a 4GB MBA years ago and almost everything went smoothly, but that was a long time ago. And I won't be doing 4K rendering or anything like that.

Do I understand correctly, if I'm a power user (to the extent I've described) and money is not a factor, MBA may be potentially too weak (even with 16GB ram, 512 GB storage) or should it be fine?

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Yes, 16GB for sure.

I understand that the 14 is better in every aspect and it would be a rational decision. I am really in love with the thin design of the air, though. The problem really is that I do not have a feeling how powerful the M2 MBA is.
I had a 4GB MBA years ago and almost everything went smoothly, but that was a long time ago. And I won't be doing 4K rendering or anything like that.

Do I understand correctly, if I'm a power user (to the extent I've described) and money is not a factor, MBA may be potentially too weak (even with 16GB ram, 512 GB storage) or should it be fine?
any apple silicon chip can handle the load you are describing, i used about 3 of the math programs you mentioned, they nowhere near taxing on the cpu as you think. however ram would certainly allow more headroom for you, the question is really about which one is the most bang for the buck, and the base 14 mbp for 1599 is a crazy value.

superr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Well, my job is buying (and they have left over money to spend), so "bang-for-buck" is not a concern for me. I just do not want to buy something I will regret (i.e. will throttle with my daily tasks), just because I wanted a slim laptop.

The main worry is the 4K screen (whichj may heat the GPU) + lots of multitasking (which may somewhat heat the CPU).

On the flip side, it will be my main working computer, so why not go for the more powerful one.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
so there are occasions where mba can overheat, but i don't envision that happening with the tasks you're doing. in terms of raw speed, both the storage speed and ram are faster on the mbp 14inch, and the extra screen real estate on the 14inch has been a real help for my multitasking, another thing to look out for is how many externals u plan on hooking up, i mainly use one external but on occasions when i need to give a presentation to the board on a projector, having a 2nd display options is really clutch.

superr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Good point. I am currently using 2 externals, but wanted to compromise and have laptop screen + one external.
Overall, the 14 really seems the obvious choice.

MacAroni_

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
I am considering the following laptops: Macbook air M2, Macbook pro M2 or 14" Macbook pro.

I'm a heavy multi-tasking user and have usualy at least the following apps open: browser, adobe illustrator, adobe photoshop, mathematica, latex editor, pycharm (compiling python), music player, wolfram mathematica, at least a few PDF-s opened,...
I will not do heavy computing, but some test runs (the final code I run remotely on a server), but will compile some code here and there.

I really really like the Air, since it is thin and portable. But can it smoothly handle these tasks without throttling, since it does not have fans?
Alternatively, the pro can probably handle more, since it's actively cooled, the 14" is more bulky (but surely has better performance).
The main problem is that I have no idea how much can the M2 air handle together with a second screen (it's been a while since I've owned a mac).
Hello, I find myself exactly in your past position. Could you please be so kind as to share your choice and your experience? Which one did you take? Are you happy with the choice you made or you regret it? The more specific you can be about the upsides and downsides of your experience, the better it would be. Thank you!

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Well, my job is buying (and they have left over money to spend), so "bang-for-buck" is not a concern for me. I just do not want to buy something I will regret (i.e. will throttle with my daily tasks), just because I wanted a slim laptop.

The main worry is the 4K screen (whichj may heat the GPU) + lots of multitasking (which may somewhat heat the CPU).

On the flip side, it will be my main working computer, so why not go for the more powerful one.

Just my opinion....

Personally, I would not purchase a Macbook Air for scientific computing purposes. Throttling will most certainly occur for any sustained computational workload.

Good luck in your purchasing decision!

richmlow

Reactions: MacAroni_

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

This part in bold has me thinking that what you probably want to do, instead of getting a 14-inch MacBook Pro is get a Mac mini for when you are stationary and a MacBook Air for the potability. It will be more than a 14-inch MacBook Pro in terms of cost, but I think it will honestly make more sense in the long run. The reason being that leaving any laptop (Intel Mac, Apple Silicon Mac, AMD/Intel PC, or even ARM-based) connected to power THAT MUCH of the time will kill its battery. People do it with work computers all the time, but IT departments are generally good about replacing them before such a battery replacement is necessary.

As for how much an M2 Air or M1 Air (for that matter) can handle when hooked up to a second display, all M-series SoCs can totally handle 4K displays. How much you put on that display won't have that much of an impact on performance relative to it driving the internal 2-ishK display.

Reactions: richmlow

WuMing2

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2023

I have compiled XQuartz on my MacBook Air 2010. You can buy any intel MacBook / Air for cheap and call it a day. For your description RAM is more important than speed. And the latter is more than enough in any case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.