Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I am really struggling to choose the best Macbook Pro for my needs! Can anyone with more experience help?

I take and edit photos with photoshop.
I run DJ software via parallels a few times a week
General business use
1TB Hard Drive
I want to drive 2 monitors at home.

I want the 14-inch min form factor. There are so many options with processor and RAM; I have around 2k to spend.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Ideally you're probably going to want an M3 Pro processor. One of the pre built configs with 18gb of RAM will be more than enough for what you're looking to do. As far as hard drive space, a configuration paired with 1TB will most likely put you slightly above 2k but will keep you in the ballpark of where you want to be.

Of course, it's possible to find that configuration on sale outside of Apple. Just have to keep an eye out for some deals. Alternatively, an M2 Pro with a similar configuration will still be more than enough for what you need to do if you can come across one with a nice discount from a reseller.

Currently doing the same exact thing (except running parallels) with an M1 Max configuration and is buttery smooth in Serato, Ableton and Photoshop regularly. A friend of mine also just purchased the configuration that you are looking to get - who is also doing the same exact thing and he couldn't be happier with his purchase.

Reactions: penlost

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What do you have now? Intel or M-series Mac? Parallels on M-series will only run ARM versions of Windows or Linux. If you rely on the DJ software, best to verify it has an ARM supported version or verify the Intel version runs w/out issues in Windows ARM.

penlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thank you for your responses. I have checked and my DJ software runs on ARM. Looks like the 1tb Mac M3 Pro is the one if 18gb of ram is enough. I am guessing it would be if I am only running one windows program?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
1tb MacBook air with 16gb ram be enough to do all this,
If you want to drive two external monitors with MBA, you’ll have to close the display for clamshell mode. MBA only drives two monitors, built-in display being one of them.

Reactions: penlost

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
But is it worth an extra £400?!!
Grab the M3 Pro Refurb on the Apple store with the 36gb config for 2209 when it pops up. It literally just sold out yesterday, but they come up frequently. It will be the "base" M3 Pro with 5p/6e but honestly who cares about that one less performance core. If you do care, then spend $2379. That's in stock now.

Alternatively, wait for an M2 Pro with 32gb/1tb for around $2K on the Apple Refurb store.

Even better, if you have a MicroCenter nearby they often have sick deals on Apple refurbished M2 Pros with higher-ram configs and often have good sales even on new ones. I grabbed my M3 Max 14" (base w/ 36gb/1tb 30 core GPU) for $2303 on a unicorn flash deal that they had.

Setup an alert on refurb.me if you want to get notified the moment your preferred option is in stock on the Apple store.

penlost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thank you all. In the end, I went with the M3 Pro/18GB RAM/1TB Storage refurbished. The DJ Software runs really well, and when I am not using it, Parallels is closed down giving me back my full Ram. Ram goes into orange for memory pressure when Parallels is running, but there is no noticeable slowdown, so I am keeping this one. Thanks for all your help on this and the other thread I posted about Ram anxiety!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.