Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have a new 900mhz iBook. I'm not particularly concerned with the asthetics of my machines, but I'm concerned this might have something to do with an issue other than the paint. The paint (the white paint on the inside of the plastic shell) is starting to fade in a patterned manner. there are little round specs, evenly spaced, in a cheesegrater pattern (similar to the nylon pattern on backpacks), where the paint is getting rubbed, polished, brushed, whatever-ed off. It's too hard to take a picture of.

As far as I know there are no materials under the plastic covering that reflects such a pattern but I could be wrong. What could be causing this? It's particularly happening most around the edges of the side behind the monitor.

I keep my iBook in a laptop backpack that is heavily padded. I doubt that the soft material (though having a patern similar to the anomoly) would cause an abrasion inside the plastic. Could moderate handling of the thing cause the fabric to make the plastic rub against the interal components producing a uniform patern (it's VERY uniform)

Just curious if this reflects something bad.

Thanks a ton
David

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I just bought a 900MHz iBook myself, and I'm loving it. I haven't noticed that problem yet, but I'll watch out for it.

Since it obviously isn't your fault (it's on the inside), it's probably covered by the warranty. If it's an unusual defect (and you're lucky), they'll just replace the whole machine for a new one.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
If I'm not mistaken, there is a plastic sheath between the LCD and the plastic cover for the LCD (top of the iBook) and it is shaped with holes in it. Maybe your LCD and the screen are connected loosely and there is some rubbing going on.

Here:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpaulton/PhotoAlbum15.html

and here:
http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/redwhite/

are some pictures where you can see the "chessgrater" pattern you are taling about. Scroll through some of the pictures, and you can see through the translucent shell what I am talking about.

Regards,
Gus

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Gus
.....some pictures where you can see the "chessgrater" pattern you are taling about. Scroll through some of the pictures, and you can see through the translucent shell what I am talking about.

Regards,
Gus

That big thing isnt the cause :(...... The cheesegrater patern im seeing is VERY tiny. Each "hole" is roughly the size of a sharpened pencil head. I have no idea what can be causing this! I think I will take it to an apple service guy after all :D

David

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
The iBook 900 has a solid white plastic shell. Most likely the shell was not molded perfectly smooth (molds do wear out after a while), and the "bumps" that stick out are being rubbed down, giving a polished effect.

I would call Apple's Service Department and find out if such a problem is common. Better yet, take it into a Apple store and have a genius bar type look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.