Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Those apps only seem to work on a MBP. Any brightening solution for the MBA?
A misunderstanding.

A commenter was saying "the 14-inch M3 Pro has 1000 nits brightness" but I was explaining that the 1000 nit claim is only for HDR mode (ie movies) and that MacBook Pros can only reach 600 nits in SDR mode—which is not much brighter than the MacBook Air's 500 nits—unless you "hack" the MacBook Pro with an app to fool the MacBook Pro into HDR mode at all times.

MacBook Airs don't have HDR mode nor the mini LED backlighting system that can reach 1000 nits, so such an app is not developed for it.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The 15” MBA is in all but one measurement (height) bigger than the 14” MBP. It’s also only .1 lbs lighter, so imperceptibly lighter.

Of course if you value screen size above all other considerations, the 15” MBA is your only choice short of the 16” MBP and it’s correspondingly high cost.

I certainly get the argument for the 13” Air being smaller and lighter and thus more transportable than any MBP, it is noticeably smaller in every dimension and lighter, but the 15” MBA is MBP sized.

I consider the 13" MacBook Air, the 15" MacBook Air and the 14" MacBook Pro to all be very portable. Obviously the 13" MacBook Air is the most portable, but the 15" is surprisingly nimble. For many people, all three laptops have enough power for their needs for years. The 15" MacBook Air prioritizes screen size, for multitasking and such - it is superior to the 14" MBP for this purpose. The 13" is superior to both laptops for portability, and it is the lowest in price. The 13" MacBook Pro offers sharper screens and speakers, as well as the options to spec up to a true Pro configuration. At the end of the day, the laptops can price within a couple hundred dollars within each other, so it is all personal preference. Often times, I get confused as to what I prefer. However, for me - the 15" offers the best combination of portability and screen size at the moment.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I consider the 13" MacBook Air, the 15" MacBook Air and the 14" MacBook Pro to all be very portable. Obviously the 13" MacBook Air is the most portable, but the 15" is surprisingly nimble. For many people, all three laptops have enough power for their needs for years. The 15" MacBook Air prioritizes screen size, for multitasking and such - it is superior to the 14" MBP for this purpose. The 13" is superior to both laptops for portability, and it is the lowest in price. The 13" MacBook Pro offers sharper screens and speakers, as well as the options to spec up to a true Pro configuration. At the end of the day, the laptops can price within a couple hundred dollars within each other, so it is all personal preference. Often times, I get confused as to what I prefer. However, for me - the 15" offers the best combination of portability and screen size at the moment.

That’s a very nice way of looking at it!

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Dumb question, perhaps. but don't want to start a new topic.

If I get a new 15" MBA it will come loaded with Sonoma.
Can I change the OS to Ventura if I have the Ventura Installer on a thumb drive?

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015

Can I change the OS to Ventura if I have the Ventura Installer on a thumb drive?
Can only have OS that it launched with. Can't go back as far as I know.

HappyInCalgary

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

There is a workaround. You can create a new volume in Disk Utility and install Ventura on it. So you will end up with essentially a new partition with Ventura on it.

BobbySM

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
One and only reason:

120 Hz.

I am sorry but my iPhone, my iPad, my Windows Notebook display, my PC monitor, everything runs at 120 Hz...

...including my 2021 14" MBP.

I will never go back to 60 Hz. Ever.
How accurate is that though. On battery, isn't the refresh rate capped at 60hz to preserve battery life?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
So some feedback:

Unfortunately I tend to complain too often. So some good words for Apple:

I am really happy with the MBA

- Display -> really beautiful, sharp and even
- Design -> Magsafe is great und I live how thin and light the device is
- Speed: Coming from the Mid 2012 13" MBP it's lightning fast
- The keyboard is really really good and better than the 2012 MBP
- Great to be able to charge it with almost anything available if I have the adapters
- I don't care about the notch at all
- Magic Mouse 1 still works with it
- My wired keyboard w/ numeric block is working with it
- Only thing I liked more on the old MBP: Upgradability and the track pad. This was ultra smooth and 100% accurate. not so the MBA (and M3 MBP I tested in apple store)
Forgot: Headphone jack. :)
All in all I think it was not a cheap (Over 2700 Euros!) but a very good buy for me.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
One and only reason:

120 Hz.

I am sorry but my iPhone, my iPad, my Windows Notebook display, my PC monitor, everything runs at 120 Hz...

...including my 2021 14" MBP.

I will never go back to 60 Hz. Ever.
I have an i9 2019 MBP 16", an iPhone 15 Pro Max and an iPad 12.9 M1.... Not having Pro Motion on the Macbook really doesn't bother me. It bothered me when I bought an iPad mini 6 without it, and i returned it because of it. I love it on the iPhone and the iPad but it doesn't do it for me on the MacBook. My bro has a 16" MBP M3 and I've used that for hours, and Pro Motion for me on a MacBook really isn't a biggie.

For now, I'll enjoy my 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD and 16" screen :)

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I have an i9 2019 MBP 16", an iPhone 15 Pro Max and an iPad 12.9 M1.... Not having Pro Motion on the Macbook really doesn't bother me. It bothered me when I bought an iPad mini 6 without it, and i returned it because of it. I love it on the iPhone and the iPad but it doesn't do it for me on the MacBook. My bro has a 16" MBP M3 and I've used that for hours, and Pro Motion for me on a MacBook really isn't a biggie.
Yup, and that's because it doesn't have true 120Hz.

If a display is 120 frames per second, you learn the length that each frame needs to be displayed by dividing 1 by 120 which is 8.3 ms. That means each pixel needs to be able to change colors at or before 8.3 ms long or else you don't get true 120 frames per second.​
Guess how long the 16" MBP M3 displays a pixel? 75.2 ms (source).​
That means the 16" MBP M3 display is 9x too slow to properly display 120Hz images in motion.​

So there's not as much of a difference between MBP and MBA as people imagine. In fact the M3 Air's pixel response is 34.5 ms (source) where the M3 MBP's is 75.2 ms—twice as slow as a MBA—so no wonder the MBP does nothing for you.

120Hz won't work until Apple implements OLED in 2026 because OLED has a pixel response of less than 1 ms.

damnhandy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Until they answer, I’m going to ask myself this question:

What does a 15-inch Air have that a 14-inch MBP doesn’t?
The Air has less than the Pro, but the question is: "Does it matter to you?" I shoot photography and am a developer, so I should be drawn to the MBP because of the extra ports and SD slot. But why pay for those things if one doesn't care about them? Ironically, I already have all the dongles and adapters I need after years of being forced into it by Thunderbolt-only ports for years. A built-in SD slot is handy if you don't have one, but now I have at least 3. So, the value prop is questionable. I also don't need an HDMI port either, as I've only been able to use Thunderbolt ports. So now you're down to just the screen and active cooling. Is that worth the price? If it isn't, the MBA might make the most sense. Otherwise, jump to the MBP M3 Pro.

• Love
Reactions: 6749974

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I decided the M3 Pro MBP was more machine than I needed, and thus more cost than I should take on, and Best Buy has the 15” M2 MBA with 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage on sale, so I’m currently waiting for the seemingly endless Time Machine restore to finish so I can use this beastly machine.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I read somewhere on this site that people were having problems with the pinch-to-zoom function, and that it could be a Sonoma issue.

So it may improve when the next OS version comes out.

Reactions: Torty

systemr

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
I am strongly considering a 15" M3 Air to replace my 14" M1 Pro but just one thing is bothering me:
* The 15" screen has a lower res and at the default resolution it doesn't have 1:1 pixel scaling like the 14" does

I haven't spent a significant amount of time with the 15" air (just checked it out at the store) but I'm very sensitive to the screen when I switch from 27" 5K ultrafine at home to a 4k 27" whenever I'm in the office

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
I am strongly considering a 15" M3 Air to replace my 14" M1 Pro but just one thing is bothering me:
* The 15" screen has a lower res and at the default resolution it doesn't have 1:1 pixel scaling like the 14" does

I haven't spent a significant amount of time with the 15" air (just checked it out at the store) but I'm very sensitive to the screen when I switch from 27" 5K ultrafine at home to a 4k 27" whenever I'm in the office
I can only say that I am a bit sensitive too but regarding brightness/contrast. I had to reduce the white spot on my 14PM. Checking the studio display I had to immediately turn down the brightness.
The MBA’s screen is so smooth for me not aggressive to my eyes at all.

Reactions: G5isAlive

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yup, and that's because it doesn't have true 120Hz.

If a display is 120 frames per second, you learn the length that each frame needs to be displayed by dividing 1 by 120 which is 8.3 ms. That means each pixel needs to be able to change colors at or before 8.3 ms long or else you don't get true 120 frames per second.​
Guess how long the 16" MBP M3 displays a pixel? 75.2 ms (source).​
That means the 16" MBP M3 display is 9x too slow to properly display 120Hz images in motion.​

So there's not as much of a difference between MBP and MBA as people imagine. In fact the M3 Air's pixel response is 34.5 ms (source) where the M3 MBP's is 75.2 ms—twice as slow as a MBA—so no wonder the MBP does nothing for you.

120Hz won't work until Apple implements OLED in 2026 because OLED has a pixel response of less than 1 ms.
This is actually really interesting.

So how come the iPad is so noticeable, does it use an inherently better/faster screen?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
This is actually really interesting.

So how come the iPad is so noticeable, does it use an inherently better/faster screen?
If clear image happens at 8.3 ms or less
  • the iPhone 15 Pro has the clearest image with 2 ms (source)
  • the M3-gen MacBook Pros have the smudgiest image at 75.2 ms
  • the iPad Pro 11 and 12.9 is in the middle at 43 ms (source) and 35.3 ms (source) respectively
Here is a gif showing how the iPad Pro also smudges during movement. Notice the text getting smudged. Notice the details in the icons, like the Safari icon, disappear. Notice the ghosting that trails each icon during movement.

And yet, the iPad Pro is twice better than the MacBook Pros. That's why 120Hz is more noticeable when scrolling or playing games on the iPads.

Don't get me wrong, all of these devices are pulsing 120 images per second into our eye balls, its just a matter of are they clear images or smudgy images. The clear-er the image, the more obviously beneficial it is for gaming, scanning a long article for that paragraph about the U.S. nuclear program, scrolling through that 300 page text book for that one diagram about cellular immunology, and so on. So Apple is sort of screwing us out of that benefit.

Still—120 smudgy images (per second) is still smother than 60 clear images (per second) because 60 fps is still more jittery when scrolling. So people will still prefer the iPad Pro and MBP displays based on feel. It feels and is smoother. That is a real phenomenon that ProMotion brings if at least.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I can confirm that I was wrong about how it feels to hold and use the 15" Air vs the 14" MBP. Despite the two looking very similar in measurements, the 15" Air feels noticeably lighter and balanced than the MBP. It feels light, probably because my brain is expecting such a big laptop to feel much heavier, and the fact that the weight feels evenly distributed across the whole body of the computer. The MBP feels denser and more bottom heavy, especially in the center of the base portion. I'd say the 15" very well deserves the Air moniker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.