Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who else will install iOS 13 Developer Beta 1 the minute it is released?

• Total voters

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I usually wait a day or 2 to make sure there are no showstopper bugs. I am one of the dummies who installs these betas on my daily driver. I paid for that last year during the iOS 12 betas when the GPS was wonky. All nav (Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze) were affected. That was a problem during some travels.

One thing I will do is make an archived backup of my phone before I install anything. I don't do that for betas later in the year, but I do do it for the X.0 early betas.

Reactions: jacklivehere

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The first hour or two of WWDC will be iOS 13 for the public. After that it’s actual developer code etc. Only the first 1-2 hrs of the first day are relevant for us.
Actually, watching the replays of the dev sessions is very useful for understanding some of the more arcane updates. Highly recommend.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I usually wait a day or 2 to make sure there are no showstopper bugs. I am one of the dummies who installs these betas on my daily driver. I paid for that last year during the iOS 12 betas when the GPS was wonky. All nav (Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze) were affected. That was a problem during some travels.

One thing I will do is make an archived backup of my phone before I install anything. I don't do that for betas later in the year, but I do do it for the X.0 early betas.

I install on every single one of my daily drivers. All the second it releases. :)

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I only have my XR but will install it if they add Dark Mode and increased Haptic Touch features. Otherwise, probably wait until later beta releases. Hoping for continued stability and speed. iOS 12 has probably been the best release to date, contrary to all of those who say it’s boring.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
ability to go straight to home screen with face id when no notifications present
This one kinda defeats the purpose of having Face ID in the first place. The best thing to happen is this turns into an option thrown in the accessibility setting.
Split screen apps or at least PIP for iPhone
PIP on iPad is already small enough. PIP on iPhone? Experience is gonna be bad. Split screen on iPhone? Same thing. I can barely see anything on such a small display with split screen. Even on iPad, it is challenging depending on how website deal with different width or height.

For all other stuff, they might come at some point.

Reactions: gwhizkids

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Will follow up closely on all the buzz, but will most likely wait until PB2-3 to install it on my daily devices.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This one kinda defeats the purpose of having Face ID in the first place. The best thing to happen is this turns into an option thrown in the accessibility setting.

PIP on iPad is already small enough. PIP on iPhone? Experience is gonna be bad. Split screen on iPhone? Same thing. I can barely see anything on such a small display with split screen. Even on iPad, it is challenging depending on how website deal with different width or height.

How does that defeat the purpose of Face iD? the only difference would be that you wont have to swipe up. You would still need Face ID authentication... I am currently using this feature and its quite awesome.... It still keeps you on the locks screen if you have any notifications present.

Ok I'll give you PIP that is a little small on the iPhone but still useful in a pinch. as for split screen it actually looks and works wonderfully on the XS Max.. I can't speak for the smaller iphones but at the very least they should make it available for the Max as it is very useful and looks perfectly fine..... Android devices with smaller screens have been using this for years with no issues or limitations.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Split screen I agree on. Maybe useful on a Max but anything smaller would be pushing it. I can see PIP being useful for continuing audio or streaming while you perform other tasks.

Example: last night I was watching a documentary that I had found on Reddit. I was streaming it to my Apple TV and any time I needed to reply to a text or do anything else with my phone the stream would pause and I would have to reselect my ATV for output when I finished.

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
One thing I am concerned is dark mode and iPad Pro , given it’s not OLED screen not sure how dark theme will work on iPads.

I welcome mouse support on iPad, if it’s in beta 1 then I will go for it on iPad

Reactions: gwhizkids

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
One thing I am concerned is dark mode and iPad Pro , given it’s not OLED screen not sure how dark theme will work on iPads.

I welcome mouse support on iPad, if it’s in beta 1 then I will go for it on iPad

Dark Mode will work just fine on iPads.

But there will be no battery savings on any LCD based device.

Only OLED iPhones will experience battery life savings.

Reactions: WingsAndBeer

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Most definitely not on my daily driver... I have a couple older devices that I use for that. Eventually I will add it to my primary phone, but probably not until about bets 3 or 4 at the earliest.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Dark Mode will work just fine on iPads.

But there will be no battery savings on any LCD based device.

Only OLED iPhones will experience battery life savings.
Very small. The battery savings will be very small or no at all. Don’t get hyped about this Saving too much. And always on is also enabled on iPad Pro, a device with LCD (I can tap the screen to wake up iPad Pro).

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Very small. The battery savings will be very small or no at all. Don’t get hyped about this Saving too much. And always on is also enabled on iPad Pro, a device with LCD (I can tap the screen to wake up iPad Pro).

The battery savings are huge. Read it up.

Try it with Smart Invert. I have measured it. Battery life lasts at least 40% longer.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Try it with Smart Invert. I have measured it. Battery life lasts at least 40% longer.
Always good that you have this amount of time to actually measure the difference.

For me, as long as I don’t see sudden transition from dark to light mode, i am fine. I care about my eyes more than merely 40% theoretical battery savings.

Update:
https://www.howtogeek.com/397982/how-dark-mode-can-extend-battery-life-on-oled-phones/
Seems that the saving is more tangible on full brightness than low brightness. But I don’t use my iPhone or iPad on full brightness most of the time. And I often feel Apple Watch lowest brightness level is still way too high.

Fun fact: even with Apple Watch OLED screen at lowest brightness level, it can still drain 40% battery overnight if the screen is turned on too many times for whatever reason.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...ark-mode-saves-nearly-60-battery-over-3-hours
Another test, Max brightness. Again, who uses their iPhone on max brightness all day? I do see up to 60% battery saving but this is not how I use the devices.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Sorry but I have to question this figure.... First of all smart invert is not really a dark mode. And even dark mode would probably not save you that much battery...... I have been using a true full system dark mode on a jailbroken device, and although its not a good measure because its not stock iOS I can tell you it's nowhere near that number.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sorry but I have to question this figure.... First of all smart invert is not really a dark mode. And even dark mode would probably not save you that much battery...... I have been using a true full system dark mode on a jailbroken device, and although its not a good measure because its not stock iOS I can tell you it's nowhere near that number.
That’s the major issue here with this “dark mode saves battery” theory. It might save some battery life here and there, but nowhere near the saving level by turning down screen brightness. Google tested it, under 50% brightness, the battery saving is 14%, while under 100%, it goes up to 60%.

Reactions: bigjnyc

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
you think dark mode will look horrible on apps that have not been optimised for it yet? thats one of my major drawbacks

Probably. But that’s why there is a developer preview in June. By September, many apps will be ready.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
you think dark mode will look horrible on apps that have not been optimised for it yet? thats one of my major drawbacks

Yeah, but if so, you could just turn off dark mode and wait till things improve. I don’t think it’s a reason to hold off (although there are many others) because turning off dark mode will put you where you would have been if you hadn’t installed the beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.