Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I'm thinking of getting one.

Don't necessarily need one, but miss having one from my iMac days.

Surprised that the black version is £20 more expensive than the white one. Suits me, as I prefer white, anyway.

Question: I notice it has two black strips on the bottom of the mouse; are these made of rubber? Am I right in concluding that it'd be ok to use it no a wooden desk, without a mouse mat? Do the black strips wear down quickly?

Reactions: Starfia

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I'm thinking of getting one.

Don't necessarily need one, but miss having one from my iMac days.

Surprised that the black version is £20 more expensive than the white one. Suits me, as I prefer white, anyway.

Question: I notice it has two black strips on the bottom of the mouse; are these made of rubber? Am I right in concluding that it'd be ok to use it no a wooden desk, without a mouse mat? Do the black strips wear down quickly?
Yes I do all the time, no problems on wooden desk.
The strips are not rubber, some hardwearing compound like Teflon, which slides easily, though they pick up a bit of easily removed dirt after several months.
The strips do not wear out.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
The strips are not rubber, some hardwearing compound like Teflon, which slides easily, though they pick up a bit of easily removed dirt after several months.
My experience as well. Using it with a 16" M1.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'd use the trackpad whilst charging.

How long does it take to charge, by the way? Apparently it lasts for a couple of months between charges.
It does last quite a while between charges. And with just the slightest bit of forethought you can just charge it for a couple hours when you're not using it. And if you accidentally run the battery down anyway, a 10-minute charge would probably buy you at least an hour or two. That doesn't stop people from whinging, though!

I myself do not care for the low profile of the Magic Mouse. There's just not much to grab on to, IMO. I do recommend these, which attach very nicely and make it a bit easier to grip: https://www.elevationlab.com/products/magicgrips-for-magic-mouse?variant=24591427137

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
It does last quite a while between charges. And with just the slightest bit of forethought you can just charge it for a couple hours when you're not using it. And if you accidentally run the battery down anyway, a 10-minute charge would probably buy you at least an hour or two. That doesn't stop people from whinging, though!

I myself do not care for the low profile of the Magic Mouse. There's just not much to grab on to, IMO. I do recommend these, which attach very nicely and make it a bit easier to grip: https://www.elevationlab.com/products/magicgrips-for-magic-mouse?variant=24591427137
Thanks for the link, which I'll keep in mind.

What colour did you got for, by the way?

I like white, which is good, because the black one is £20 more expensive. Can't see how they justify the price increase, as they haven't even given it a "Pro" moniker.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Thanks for the link, which I'll keep in mind.

What colour did you got for, by the way?

I like white, which is good, because the black one is £20 more expensive. Can't see how they justify the price increase, as they haven't even given it a "Pro moniker.
I just have the matching orange one that came with my iMac.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I used one with my Macbooks all the time up until a couple of years ago. The low profile and overall size of the device was aggravating my arthritis and I had to move to something beefier, but I can confirm what others have said--it lasts a good long time on a charge, and a few minutes while you grab a coffee can get you by if you forget to plug it in.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Brilliant design. You can't use it while it's charging. You have to buy a backup mouse.
Just charge it for 5 mins to top it up, that lasts hour or two at least and stick it on charge properly when you heard of for lunch / a walk or something.

I tend to use the trackpad unless I'm using the MB 12 as a desktop then I use the Magic Mouse and Keyboard combo.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Just charge it for 5 mins to top it up, that lasts hour or two at least and stick it on charge properly when you heard of for lunch / a walk or something.

I tend to use the trackpad unless I'm using the MB 12 as a desktop then I use the Magic Mouse and Keyboard combo.
My Magic Mouse arrived today.

It's still boxed.

My MBA is at my nan's, where I spend half of my week. My MBP is at my place, and is where I'll use the Magic Mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.