Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have an iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro or 12 pro max and upgrading to 14 or 14 pro/max this year?

• Total voters

daryl1965

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just wondering from a year to year contract basis who currently has an iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro plans to upgrade to iPhone 14 or IPhone 14 pro / pro max this year .
I plan to upgrade from iPhone 12 to iPhone 14 pro max on contract from Rogers , my Canadian provider.
I do try and upgrade every 2 years due to savings I receive vs. Paying the outstanding balance on my current phone .
Interesting to hear what your doing with upgrades ….

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’ve made the decision to stick with my 12 Pro and am getting a new battery today. I like everything about the 12 Pro except for the battery which has been crap since the beginning. Dropped to 85% health in the first year but miraculously stayed at that level after the last iOS update. However, I can no longer make it through the day without recharging. So I’ll be paying the out of warranty cost to get a new battery.

Maybe next year for a new phone.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think the regular iPhone 14 is out for me

14 max is probably most intriguing a cheaper max phone that is lighter weight. The pro Max’s of late are absolute bricks IMO the 12 and 13

Xs max and 11 pro max weren’t that heavy

Maybe 14 pro since 120hz display is nice

I have lots of gift card funds ready to pay for 80 percent of a full price iPhone but still wanna use it wisely

On 12 pro still, 89 percent health. It’s trucking along.
Dropped it face first on cement from a few steps up in a stairwell and the tempered glass exploded every which way except the screen itself didn’t crack just a minor nick left of faceid on the bezel the other week. Ain’t no thang

Last edited:
Reactions: daryl1965

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’ve made the decision to stick with my 12 Pro and am getting a new battery today. I like everything about the 12 Pro except for the battery which has been crap since the beginning. Dropped to 85% health in the first year but miraculously stayed at that level after the last iOS update. However, I can no longer make it through the day without recharging. So I’ll be paying the out of warranty cost to get a new battery.

Maybe next year for a new phone.
Update to this post.

So I got a new battery at Apple but the phone edges were scratched to heck. I showed the tech and we had already reviewed it before they took it that the only scratches were on the bottom. They offered me the battery exchange for free. I told them that wouldn’t really help the scratches and I always take excellent care of my devices with cases and screen protectors. They ended up giving me a new phone. So Apple fixed their mishap.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I’m definitely upgrading to either the 14 Pro OR a 13 Mini, it’s either one of these 2 or I’m just gonna put a new battery in my 12 mini and get a 16“ Macbook Pro.
Isn’t it pretty f-ed up that an iPhone costs as much as a top of the line MacBook these days? Here the base model 13 Pro costs exactly the same as the base model MacBook Air M1.

N1cBr

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
My launch day 12 Pro Max have a battery capacity of 82%. I’ve already saved up for the 14 Pro Max and even added an extra $100 in case they increase the price.
I'm in the same position - base model 12 battery is struggling now and wanting a bigger phone - think I'm going to go for the 14 Pro Max to get the new design without the notch! Hoping I can get my hands on a preorder for close to launch day collection as I'm travelling so will need to collect a few days later.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
A 12 Pro battery replacement (from 84% health) had been on my to-do list but the threat of sending it away for 10 days put me off. Issue was forced when I managed to drop it outside for the first time and hit it right on the one bumper Apple's cases don't cover.

Process was done in a couple of hours, but it HAS made a noticeable difference in my battery life. Phone was being charged without fail twice a day, and now I am *just* seeing it drop below 20% when I go to sleep.

No 14 Pro for me now I am £350 lighter, but based on 7 days usage I am delighted with the investment over a new phone that apart from the camera zoom, I would not be that bothered by.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Already upgraded from the 12 last year, it was a horrible phone. 13 is much better. Tempted to get the 14 pro this year

Reactions: N1cBr

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I may go with a 14 Pro as it will likely be the last year with a lightning port. I can use my Apple docks with the lightning port and really dont have any need or desire for USB-C.

Reactions: N1cBr

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
This had prompted me to check battery health on the iP12Pro I bought on a two year contract when it first came out: 89% seems OK? Results from camera still impress, though I had upgraded from long-held iP7.

No urge to upgrade to an iPhone 14 of any type but might consider my options at the end of the November when the existing contract is up.

With inflation for everyday expenditure now taking off, the alternative to a SIM-only contract on the iP12Pro would have to be compelling re iPhone 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.