Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winnal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: throAU

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Am I the only one that has issues with this? Never had an issue with Windows keyboards, but first time using Macbook since the M1 I got the Macbook Air and the latest 14" Macbook Pro, and what are the chances both of my keyboards have the same issue? It must be just how all these keyboards are.

Fast tapping the caps lock button for some reason doesn't work, even extremely hard taps.
I’m confused. What is the purpose of fast tapping the cap lock button? What are you trying to achieve by doing that?

winnal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
it's just to demonstrate how it doesn't work. so this is normal to you? when i softly press a button quickly it doesn't work, even when i tap it hard, when i type i dont deliberately press down and hold the key down. that's the only way for it to register. try doing it on a surface laptop or any other keyboard i've used in my whole life and every tap like that turns it on and off.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
it's just to demonstrate how it doesn't work. so this is normal to you? when i softly press a button quickly it doesn't work, even when i tap it hard, when i type i dont deliberately press down and hold the key down. that's the only way for it to register. try doing it on a surface laptop or any other keyboard i've used in my whole life and every tap like that turns it on and off.
If the cap lock key isn’t responding naturally as you type, then there is a fault/defect. However, your constantly pounding the key probably isn’t helping the issue. Take it into an Apple store and have them analyze the problem, exchange it, or return it. If you do not have an Apple store near you, return it and initiate a new purchase if you want to continue with the MBP Pro/Max. The keyboard is typically very responsive without having to pound the keys.

Reactions: agent mac

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
If your gonna hammer on it, then do it right and hammer it, jeez!

Attachments

• hammer-computer-keyboard-damaged-keys-broken-wooden-table-no-dark-desktop-174188515.jpeg
    hammer-computer-keyboard-damaged-keys-broken-wooden-table-no-dark-desktop-174188515.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 162

winnal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
If the cap lock key isn’t responding naturally as you type, then there is a fault/defect. However, your constantly pounding the key probably isn’t helping the issue. Take it into an Apple store and have them analyze the problem, exchange it, or return it. If you do not have an Apple store near you, return it and initiate a new purchase if you want to continue with the MBP Pro/Max. The keyboard is typically very responsive without having to pound the keys.
I'm only tapping it as hard as possible to show how hard I'm pressing yet it still doesn't work. it doesnt mean i always type like that or am even constantly tapping it like that at all. i press it once every time i need it, the point is it doesnt work. u say its a defect, but i showed both laptops which are both brand new having the same exact issue, and im asking if no one else has the same issue. so apparently im just so unlucky both of my laptops have the same issue, i doubt that's the case and it's just how they all are.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I'm only tapping it as hard as possible to show how hard I'm pressing yet it still doesn't work. it doesnt mean i always type like that or am even constantly tapping it like that at all. i press it once every time i need it, the point is it doesnt work. u say its a defect, but i showed both laptops which are both brand new having the same exact issue, and im asking if no one else has the same issue. so apparently im just so unlucky both of my laptops have the same issue, i doubt that's the case and it's just how they all are.

Even so, I would still take it in to an Apple store and let them have a look at it. Apple isn’t infallible, and the issues your are experiencing on both laptops may signify additional failing keys, etc. These laptops are expensive and you should not have to settle. I can assure you that my 16” does not exhibit any of the problems that you are experiencing, nor have I seen it reported here on the boards.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Am I the only one that has issues with this? Never had an issue with Windows keyboards, but first time using Macbook since the M1 I got the Macbook Air and the latest 14" Macbook Pro, and what are the chances both of my keyboards have the same issue? It must be just how all these keyboards are.

Fast tapping the caps lock button for some reason doesn't work, even extremely hard taps.

Nothing is wrong with Mac keyboards. What’s wrong is your expectation that clicking them fast will turn it on/off. That’s not how it works on Macs and never has.

What I would like to know is why you’re posting this in the MacBook forum when you should be in the MacBook Pro forum. There are no current shipping models for the MacBook so this section of the forum is currently quiet.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
FWIW, I‘ve never liked the way MacOS handled cap locks (and that’s seems to have bled over to iPad iOS now). you have to do a long-ish press to activate, instead of a normal key press IMHO.

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
The key is fine on my keyboard (M1 Pro 14”).

I have Caps Lock configured to be Escape (on tap) and Control (on hold), so it’s being used far more often than in the standard (completely useless) configuration, and I haven’t noticed it misfire once in a week’s use.

fiddle-sprawls

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
Fast tapping, slow pressing, light, hard, the caps lock key on my 2017 Retina as well as the wired Mac keyboard hooked up to a Mac Mini, both keys work just fine.

Hyper-Bio-Ghost

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2022
Ah hahahaha I registered an account to this forum specifically for this post.
I was looking for the solution to this, weird and unreasonable yet without a doubt Apple's taste which WILL make people pain, as well.

In short, Apple makes you hit that CapsLock button and put your finger on it for a, so they called it, "SHORT BRIEF" of time, to actually make it work.
If you just type it as you would do to any other keys, it won't work.

This key-pressing setting is not written on any manual or any webpage or being told to you by any of the li'l geniuses in the Apple store nor does this exit on any other keyboard on this planet, before you buy that Apple laptop and actually use it. It's more like part of the phrase written on Apple's Golden Bible shared by mouth between Apple worshipers. So if you don't know, you don't know. They wouldn't tell you meanwhile they loath the fact that you don't know. To 'em, Apple is pure and unchallengeable.

As in why would Apple do that? Probably as Aggedor has pointed out, Apple thought you might, funny enough but whatever, ACCIDENTALLY hit CapsLock and cause unwanted typing issues.
In the meantime, over 75% of all computers are WinPCs and they are out there doing alright without this tedious, as they call it, a SHORT BRIEF of time but actually long enough to annoy people key press setting.

I have once asked about another weird thing that Mac has got and someone replied with this which I thought is really to the point: ... in order to fatten their already morbidly obese bottom line.

Last edited:
Reactions: gardencitynick

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I was looking for the solution to this, weird and unreasonable yet without a doubt Apple's taste which WILL make people pain, as well.

In short, Apple makes you hit that CapsLock button and put your finger on it for a, so they called it, "SHORT BRIEF" of time, to actually make it work.

This key-pressing setting is not written on any manual or any webpage or being told to you by any of the li'l geniuses in the Apple store nor does this exit on any other keyboard on this planet, before you buy that Apple laptop and actually use it. It's more like part of the phrase written on Apple's Golden Bible shared by mouth between Apple worshipers. So if you don't know, you don't know. They wouldn't tell you meanwhile they loath the fact that you don't know. To 'em, Apple is pure and unchallengeable.

As in why would Apple do that? Probably as Aggedor has pointed out, Apple thought you might, funny enough but whatever, ACCIDENTALLY hit CapsLock and cause unwanted typing issues.
In the meantime, over 75% of all computers are WinPCs and they are out there doing alright without this tedious, as they call it, a SHORT BRIEF of time but actually long enough to annoy people key press setting.

I have once asked about another weird thing that Mac has got and someone replied with this which I thought is really to the point: ... in order to fatten their already morbidly obese bottom line.
I figured out immediately how it works. Seems like, I'm an extremely smart person. ?

Reactions: jackoverfull

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I figured out immediately how it works. Seems like, I'm an extremely smart person. ?
Yeah. Given how often a typical user would use caps lock, and given that there is an INDICATOR LIGHT on the key, it seems like a pretty weird thing to spend time dwelling on.

gardencitynick

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
Letchworth Garden City, UK

You're right, I found this out after years of using pc's and thousands or crappy keyboards and wondered why my Mac's keyboard Caps Lock key was so sloppy then over the years accepted it as an Apple Mac thing because every Apple keyboard is like that, sometimes its very handy as I am always accidentally knocking the Caps lock key on its edge when typing any word with an "A" in it, especially on my M1 Mac, but not so much on my Late 2013 15" which runs Windows (cough, cough) . But at other times I'm like come on Man just ACTIVATE damn you (while jabbing at it)

Yep its one of those "Apple" things to change your life for the better, or worse depending on how good your day's going :)

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Bought my first Mac in 2011 and instantly figured out that this is just how they work. Strangely never thought of joining a forum to ask or moan about it. Probably because I am of a generation originally brought up on typewriter keyboards where the SHIFT lock (as it was then, not CAPS lock) was a mechanical button that lifted the carriage up and down.

Reactions: jackoverfull
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.