Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I mean... in this screenshoot it is year 69 B.C. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387218615.954388.jpg

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i kept scrolling up and the calendar stops at 4716 BC. Kind of a weird year to pick. If it is an algorithm it should go back indefinitely.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Unfortunately it can't be totally accurate going back that far. The switch over from Julian Calendar to Gregorian Calendar took about 350 years. Going back that far to see what day of the week something happened centuries ago won't be correct.

:confused:

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Unfortunately it can't be totally accurate going back that far. The switch over from Julian Calendar to Gregorian Calendar took about 350 years. Going back that far to see what day of the week something happened centuries ago won't be correct.

Who cares????, no one is ever gonna use a calendar that far.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Apple didn't add anything. Obviously the calendar app can calculate and display any year you ask it to show. It's a simple algorithm that generates the result.

Holy mother of gawd! Thank you so much! I'm making an app and the calendar was gonna drive me insane!! Didn't think of any other way to do it other than make layouts for every month of every year. (Sounds really stupid now actually)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

It will be correct according to Gregorian standards. You could use a Julian calendar for the modern times if you wanted to. Dates might not line up with what everyone else uses, but it would technically be correct according to the calendar you're using. Really no different than kilograms vs pounds, Celsius vs Fahrenheit, etc.

Anyways, it's not like Apple developers had to write code for each year. The algorithm is relatively simple, so calendars for any year can be generated on the fly.

i kept scrolling up and the calendar stops at 4716 BC. Kind of a weird year to pick. If it is an algorithm it should go back indefinitely.

If I had to guess, the limit is likely due to the length of an int or something. Similar to the Year 2038 problem just in the other direction. Or 4, 7, 1 and 6 were some developer's lucky numbers in the fortune cookie they got when they went out to lunch.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Isn't that roughly the time some believe God created everything? There are those who argue the world is 6000 years old, apple may agree.....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.