Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I think we should simply be able to hit EDIT - and add whatever the **** we want so everyone is happy :)

This would be super useful. I'd love to be able to replace my Do Not Disturb with something like my VPN or Personal Hotspot; something that I actually use all the time.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
This seems like such a core feature. It should have been added to either control center and/or to Siri's database of functionality. It seems so 'ios6' to have to drill down into the settings to turn this on/off multiple times/day.

I have submitted feedback to Apple in hopes that they will add this feature at least to Siri for a future update.

Do others feel the same?

And why that should be defined as a "core feature" ?
Actually I don't even answer at hidden ID calls ... If you want to speak with me, let me know who you are.
There could be occasions when there is a need to hide it, but I don't think is something to have in control center.

----------

Because not everybody calls their ex off a withheld number heavy breathing down the phone...
:D:D:D

Good explanation

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
They should've put the Phone app in Control Settings instead of Timer.. like, what?

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
What I am saying, is that with all of the improvements in Ios7, with regards to control center and Siri, that it would have been nice to see the option to toggle this on/off without having to go into the settings every time. It's more about simplicity and the ability to access certain settings quickly.

How about having the entire settings menu in control centre?? This way you can toggle everything on and off all day, to your heart's content.....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They should've put the Phone app in Control Settings instead of Timer.. like, what?
Given that the vast majority of people have the Phone app in their dock it probably didn't seem all that useful to put it in the Control Center.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
*67 then the number

Possibly only in US with carriers that support that.

That said, can you do that (fairly simply/easily) when trying to call an existing contact?

Right ... didn't notice the OP was in UK. Here in the states it works with Verizon and I am sure ATT and Tmobile as well.

And yes, it really is that easy. Dial '*67 + area code + phone number' and it will cancel caller id broadcast for that call.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
*67 then the number

Right ... didn't notice the OP was in UK. Here in the states it works with Verizon and I am sure ATT and Tmobile as well.

And yes, it really is that easy. Dial '*67 + area code + phone number' and it will cancel caller id broadcast for that call.
I meant when you are calling an existing contact without having to manually dial the actual number itself since it's already saved in contacts. Unfortunately I don't think there's an easy way to simply add something before or after a contact without perhaps actually editing the contact itself which isn't an elegant solution for this kind of thing.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
While I don't really need a toggle certain people could find this useful.

Myself for example. I do tech services and call customers all the time. When these businesses have issues at night or on Christmas Day etc guess who they call? The number they saved when I called them days/months/years prior...

A quick toggle would give me a convenient way to prevent this. My solution is to let 30 calls goto voicemail a day.

Two phones. Problem solved. Never understood people who use the same number for work and privately, then complain about getting work related calls when they're not at work...

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
*67 then the number

I can't understand: how is it different from switching off the caller Id from the setting page ? :confused:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I can't understand: how is it different from switching off the caller Id from the setting page ? :confused:

If you use *67, it's off for that call only. If you switch it off in Settings, it's off for all calls until you switch it back on.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
While I don't really need a toggle certain people could find this useful.

Myself for example. I do tech services and call customers all the time. When these businesses have issues at night or on Christmas Day etc guess who they call? The number they saved when I called them days/months/years prior...

A quick toggle would give me a convenient way to prevent this. My solution is to let 30 calls goto voicemail a day.

You could add those people with *67 or your local equivalent in the phone record as well as the regular number (so it shows up correctly when they do call).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why didn't Apple add 'show my caller ID' to control center?

Two phones. Problem solved. Never understood people who use the same number for work and privately, then complain about getting work related calls when they're not at work...

You never understood some people don't want to spend more money? Seems blatantly obvious to me...

But in my case I don't want to carry two phones and I need to have it on me 24/7. Just certain people I don't want to get calls from while others I do.

So having two phones would not do me any good if they are still calling me.

----------

You could add those people with *67 or your local equivalent in the phone record as well as the regular number (so it shows up correctly when they do call).

I try too but a toggle would just be more convenient.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Why would somebody use that unless they were up to no good?

I use it because I an always having to call people for my job. Sometimes they don't answer. If I don't block my number, than I would sometimes get those people calling me at 2-3AM wondering why I called them.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
You never understood some people don't want to spend more money? Seems blatantly obvious to me...
If a phone is a considerable expense for your business, you've got bigger problems than people trying to contact you when you're not on the clock ;)

But in my case I don't want to carry two phones and I need to have it on me 24/7. Just certain people I don't want to get calls from while others I do.

So having two phones would not do me any good if they are still calling me.
So have one phone on you 24/7 with a number you give to people you want to be able to reach you 24/7, and get a dumb phone for 20 bucks with a number you give to others, and leave that phone at your desk.

You've just got to look at what's more of a nuisance: carrying two phones during work hours, or having clients call you at all hours.

joshforman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012

Attorneys or other professionals who want to use their cel phone but not reveal their cel number (a direct 24 hour access line to that person). It could be for personal safety, convenience, or security if they're dealing with sensitive info.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Use Google Voice and download the app. I can make calls from that app and it shows up as coming from the GV number.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Giving the user the option to customize the toggles would be great.
But that's too Android...

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Attorneys or other professionals who want to use their cel phone but not reveal their cel number (a direct 24 hour access line to that person). It could be for personal safety, convenience, or security if they're dealing with sensitive info.

Thanks. Exactly my point and the reason for the post. I was just saying that it would be nice if there was some customization allowable for the control center.

I know many professionals that prefer to block their numbers when contacting clients. So it would be nice to have the option to add this and potentially other apps to the control panel based on the users needs.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks. Exactly my point and the reason for the post. I was just saying that it would be nice if there was some customization allowable for the control center.

I know many professionals that prefer to block their numbers when contacting clients. So it would be nice to have the option to add this and potentially other apps to the control panel based on the users needs.

Have the calls go through the main switch, so that only the front desk number shows up?

In my opinion, hiding a number is anything but professional.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008

Are these clients saved to your phonebook or just directly dialed?

If directly dialed, just turn off show caller ID globally and append the show caller ID prefix to your saved contacts (or whoever you want to see it). That way any call you make by dialing out on the keypad will showed blocked ID, but everyone with the prefix saved to their number will see it.

Or if the clients are saved, then just append the prefix to their number and leave caller ID on globally.

That seems to be a lot easier and require less thinking to me than a toggle. :confused:

rethomas46

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
Probably, like me, they use their phone for business and don't want their number showing up on everyone's caller id for future use. When I return calls out of the office I always turn it off.

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Hi Guys any news to this after several years? I have a business and a private number on my dual sim dual standby (two analog sim card trays) unlocked Hong Kong iPhone 11. Are there any news regarding Shortcuts to this issue? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.