Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I'm hesitant to be too critical; there are always issues that I'm not aware of. Having said that...

I'm very annoyed and disappointed that Apple allowed such a serious bug to creep into a release. There is an entire thread on this forum about it. There are other places on the web discussing it. The very well respected eclecticlight.co has an article about it https://eclecticlight.co/2023/07/30/last-week-on-my-mac-venturas-lost-location-services/.

At this point, I'm very annoyed and disappointed that MacRumors has not given the issue any visibility. Why is MacRumors completely silent about this?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I think you're jumping the gun a bit too fast, you assume that the staff deliberately omitted to post an article about it. To be fair, it's quite a niche issue. I assume MR just has a lot to cover right now as we get closer to the iPhone event and didn't see this article. I'm sure if you reach out to their team they will do something about it.

Reactions: I7guy

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I think you're jumping the gun a bit too fast, you assume that the staff deliberately omitted to post an article about it. To be fair, it's quite a niche issue. I assume MR just has a lot to cover right now as we get closer to the iPhone event and didn't see this article. I'm sure if you reach out to their team they will do something about it.

I did not assume the omission was deliberate. It feels negligent, but it's arrogant for me to conclude that without more information from the editors.

I actually understood a post to this thread as reaching out to their team. I thought "Site and forum feedback" is feedback to the team running the site. I hope the feedback is just not the community talking to themselves. Are you suggesting writing a PM to some individual?

I can't argue with your point about it being a niche issue without some statistics about how many people are impacted. But, I suspect virtually everyone is impacted, but maybe unaware. You would have to install a new program that requires location services and notice that it doesn't work. Or, you would have to want to remove location privileges from a program and notice that you can't do it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This thread is the first time the editorial team has heard about the issue. I typically keep an eye on this feedback forum, but most of the editorial team probably does not, so it's not a great way to let us know about news.

The best way to make sure we see stuff is to tip the editorial team. There's a link at the top of every page, and you can reach us either via email or our submission form.

Reactions: annk and svenmany

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
This thread is the first time the editorial team has heard about the issue. I typically keep an eye on this feedback forum, but most of the editorial team probably does not, so it's not a great way to let us know about news.

The best way to make sure we see stuff is to tip the editorial team. There's a link at the top of every page, and you can reach us either via email or our submission form.

Thanks for getting that article out. It's already being referenced from the official Apple support forums.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Because it has to be posted to 9to5Mac first THEN MacRumors will “write” an article about it.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Interesting. Even though this bug has been around for awhile, MR's article led to coverage on MacInTouch and appleinsider. So I wonder how many Mac websites and blogs rely on MR as a primary source of news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.