Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I’m enjoying the slow build up. Episode 6 is when you start seeing aliens
I'd hardly call that 'seeing'. The whole episode was in the dark and the aliens were vague monsters at best. I agree that this show is completely awful but glad someone is enjoying it I guess. I redid my office if you want to come over and watch the paint dry later.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pezimak

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I'd hardly call that 'seeing'. The whole episode was in the dark and the aliens were vague monsters at best. I agree that this show is completely awful but glad someone is enjoying it I guess. I redid my office if you want to come over and watch the paint dry later.:)
The aliens were in the episode. Maybe you need to sort out your TV settings.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
The aliens were in the episode. Maybe you need to sort out your TV settings.
Sorry, I have an OLED and my settings are fine. I don’t consider some crappy, dark cgi, tentacled, mouth freak as “ showing the aliens”. It looked cartoonish. I want some daylight action and a good look at these things.

• Haha
Reactions: Pezimak

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Sorry, I have an OLED and my settings are fine. I don’t consider some crappy, dark cgi, tentacled, mouth freak as “ showing the aliens”. It looked cartoonish. I want some daylight action and a good look at these things.

I just want it to end, either that or a divorce. I just don’t want to watch anymore.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
If it looked cartoonish, then you definitely need to look at your TV settings. I’m sure daylight scenes with the cartoon mouth freak will occur.

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
The last time a show blamed the TV settings, it tanked hard (Game of Thrones and it's infamous night time scenes towards the end).

A show that cannot be enjoyed properly on any screen is a show that has lost it.

Reactions: ericwn

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
If it looked cartoonish, then you definitely need to look at your TV settings. I’m sure daylight scenes with the cartoon mouth freak will occur.
My settings are fine. It's a master series OLED TV that's pretty much calibrated out of the box. The CGI was utter crap but glad you liked it. It seems you set the bar pretty low which makes it easier for you to enjoy bad TV. I wish I was like that.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I just want it to end, either that or a divorce. I just don’t want to watch anymore.
I was so excited for this show which rapidly turned into dismay espisode after episode. It's probably why I'm ripping on it so much. I also have a problem with not being able to quit shows in the middle so I'll stick it out til the end of the season still clinging on to hope that it will improve.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

haha so true.. it was a bit naff.

Reactions: JBGoode

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Haha although I can’t seriously for a second agree with you and I’m constantly criticising it as crap, I’m still watching it…. Don’t know what to say about that lol.
We've all been there. Humans are funny. We tend to overvalue sunk costs. You've already invested in 6 episodes of your TV watching time. What's a few more episodes.

Hell, I watched about 30 crappy episodes of Heroes before bailing because the first 12 episodes were so good. Walking Dead .. same thing. Watched a bunch of crap seasons before giving up because the first few seasons were so good. And those series were actually good in the beginning. I don't think any episode of Invasion has been good.

I guess we're all Sickos, in the end.

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
We've all been there. Humans are funny. We tend to overvalue sunk costs. You've already invested in 6 episodes of your TV watching time. What's a few more episodes.

I just kept hoping there was a payoff if I kept watching....there has to be payoff right? It's going to redeem itself right? Maybe I'm just in denial that a show can be this bad

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Well.... Invasion was developed by Simon Kinberg who is the mastermind behind X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2021
Everyone here has said there peace on what is the cause of the TV+ being unpopular and I just wanna add my thought here: Only original programs.

That shouldn't seem bad, really, but the issue is, in this oversaturated market, what really reels in consumers is both original content and being able to see already made content. Apple TV+ only has Apple Originals and no other shows from previous years and other studios. And this is bad for them because having shows and movies that have already been made, aired and watched by many is a big factor in drawing people in. Most people, when seeing a platform with only new and unfamiliar shows, will be intimidated by this new thing they don't know about and, since the 4.99 a month only pays for these originals, would rather go to platforms with both new stuff and things they wanna rewatch.

But that's just my theory.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Their lineup is comprised of shows that could have been syndicated 90's CW shows but with a Apple budget. For All Mankind has been the best show that they have done. See and Invasion were ok but not something I would pay to watch again.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I subscribe to Motley Fool Rule Breakers. I've received some hot stock tips, but 90% of the emails I get from them are a teaser to spend several hundred more dollars to get the advice that will allegedly REALLY pay out,

We have Netflix, Classix, Hoopla, Prime, Kanopy, etc. but got a free 90-day subscription to Apple TV+. So we looked it over--everything we're interested in means either paying $2.99 or at least signing up for a trial another service. I don't think we'll be renewing Apple TV+.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Everyone here has said there peace on what is the cause of the TV+ being unpopular and I just wanna add my thought here: Only original programs.

That shouldn't seem bad, really, but the issue is, in this oversaturated market, what really reels in consumers is both original content and being able to see already made content. Apple TV+ only has Apple Originals and no other shows from previous years and other studios. And this is bad for them because having shows and movies that have already been made, aired and watched by many is a big factor in drawing people in. Most people, when seeing a platform with only new and unfamiliar shows, will be intimidated by this new thing they don't know about and, since the 4.99 a month only pays for these originals, would rather go to platforms with both new stuff and things they wanna rewatch.

But that's just my theory.

Apple is playing a long game here. Some of the shows are already going into season 3 and I'm starting to hear from non-Apple-geek friends who've been getting hooked on shows like The Morning Show, Ted Lasso and The Shrink Next Door. We're still in the early stages. As some of these shows get into their third seasons and people discover them for their bingeability, they'll also find a rich library of Apple Originals.

Instead of acquiring established properties, Apple is building their own. The Star Trek and Star Wars universes had to start somewhere too. Sure, they were established over decades. So how do you explain Stranger Things? Game of Thrones? WestWorld? You can create major properties over just a few years and I think Apple has a few already building towards that potential.

In Apple TV+'s first half year, all I heard was complaining that there was "no content". Now, there's more content than most of us could realistically watch in a year and it's just compounding. By year five, Apple TV+ will have hit a critical mass of established properties and people who subscribe for just one show but get hooked on other shows. Five years to building a major streaming/studio? That's not a long time. Netflix started in 1997 (streaming in 2007). Disney is almost 100 years old with content from that far back on Disney+. That's a heck of a head start but Apple seems up to the challenge because it's not only the back library that counts, it's the new hits. A streaming service is only as good as their current hits.

Reactions: Open-Source-Norange

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Apple is playing a long game here. Some of the shows are already going into season 3 and I'm starting to hear from non-Apple-geek friends who've been getting hooked on shows like The Morning Show, Ted Lasso and The Shrink Next Door. We're still in the early stages. As some of these shows get into their third seasons and people discover them for their bingeability, they'll also find a rich library of Apple Originals.

Instead of acquiring established properties, Apple is building their own. The Star Trek and Star Wars universes had to start somewhere too. Sure, they were established over decades. So how do you explain Stranger Things? Game of Thrones? WestWorld? You can create major properties over just a few years and I think Apple has a few already building towards that potential.

In Apple TV+'s first half year, all I heard was complaining that there was "no content". Now, there's more content than most of us could realistically watch in a year and it's just compounding. By year five, Apple TV+ will have hit a critical mass of established properties and people who subscribe for just one show but get hooked on other shows. Five years to building a major streaming/studio? That's not a long time. Netflix started in 1997 (streaming in 2007). Disney is almost 100 years old with content from that far back on Disney+. That's a heck of a head start but Apple seems up to the challenge because it's not only the back library that counts, it's the new hits. A streaming service is only as good as their current hits.

Also Apple has a pretty good lineup of new shows coming in 2022.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.