Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
All Macbooks with the M series are produced with small scratches. You are one of the millions showing proof of that.
It made me sad to see such problems in the sunlight after doing the cleaning, and I'm not someone who cleans often, and I obey every instruction on Apple's website.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Nope, sitting in front of it now, nothing at all, this is a M3 MBP.
Thank you for the feedback. I don't think I should get this either as I use only quality water with the official polishing cloth. I don't exactly know why :/

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Are you also using the polishing cloth to clean your iPhone, iPad, keyboard, MBP's palm rest, lid, etc? If so, you could be picking up a lot of oils/grease and then smearing it on the screen. You could even be picking up oils from your fingers/hands too just from handling it. I know the cloth I use to clean stuff eventually gets to a point where it doesn't clean as well anymore due to all the oils it has picked up.

Has the polishing cloth ever been cleaned? Here's Apple's directions for cleaning it:

The pictures showing the condensation look like the water droplets are being affected by a thin layer of residue, which makes them not adhere evenly and results in a streaky appearance. I agree with some of the posts above... Does wiping the screen vertically change the directions of the lines/streaks? Or try using 70% isopropyl alcohol. It's a degreaser and will remove any oil that has been left behind. At least that will help rule out whether this is the issue or not.
I use polishing cloth only for the MacBook screen and I clean it after each use in accordance with the instructions you wrote. I will also try the 70% isopropyl alcohol and vertical cleaning suggestions after the vacation I'm on and will definitely give feedback. Thanks for your comment.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
We don't have Whoosh where I live. But I have tried cleaning with another water-based cleaner which is not abrasive. As you can see in the photos on reply I made, they are not streaks.
Do not use Whoosh on non-glass screen. They leave a sheen residue anti-fingerprint and that creates a smudge on the screen. Just use IPA alcohol.

Reactions: validate

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
@sdante I had a chance to try cleaning the opposite side, with my breath, filtered water and water-based non-abrasive cleaner but unfortunately it seems they are permanent and does not seem they are water streaks. I’ll also try to clean via 70% IPA on a small area, I don’t think it will make a difference though :/ Thank you for the suggestion and information you provided again.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like they are scratches then rather than streaks, if you did not see any change trying my methods. Probably that 70% IPA method someone else suggested will be the last resort and if that does not work it is physical damage (=scratches). I never needed to go that far myself and I'm trying to avoid using harsh chemicals myself.

By the way, can you see the scratches with anything else than sunlight? I have been able to see the marks I needed to clean with very bright led flashlight but you need to try different angles, often marks are so that they only show from specific angle. Also I've noticed that this method works the best in dark room so you don't get "interference" from other lights. I'm pretty sure yours should show in that light too.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Once more...
You have "StainGate".

You can't "fix" the surface of the display, the anti-glare coating has been permanently damaged.

All you can do is either:
- Replace the display
or
- Replace the computer
or
- Remove ALL the anti-glare coating, after which you'll have an "even" -- but glossy -- display surface.

(that is all, nothing follows...)

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
One more thing came to my mind after looking at the photos OP posted and that those scratches/streaks show only in sunlight. Does OP has possibility to check another machine in the same conditions? I'm just wondering if he sees something that is actually in every screen and shows only in certain way? Why I say this is because I noticed myself with both our new iPad AIR M1 when it took them out of the box and examined both for factory marks very carefully (as I always do with my new toys) and I noticed in sunlight looking at the screens in specific angle than whole surface was covered with straight fine scratches as if the screen was polished with something that cause uniform straight fine scratches. Those are so fine that they are practically impossible to see any other way than when the screen is completely clean from dust and fingerprints and looking from certain angle in sunlight or similar extremely bright light.

Again OP's marks in some photos look like they are not all straight lines, so could be something else too.
Or then they are combination of what I just described and from the scratches/streaks from cleaning.
Because in the photo in first post, they do not look straight lines but on the 2. page photos I'm seeing very fine straight lines and some wider not straight line streaks (those fine straight lines look kinda similar what I was describing above).

Last edited:
  • Love

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
- Replace the display
or
- Replace the computer
or
- Remove ALL the anti-glare coating, after which you'll have an "even" -- but glossy -- display surface.
Or do nothing, if these marks only show in sunlight and never else in normal room lighting, if it is possible to avoid sunlight in normal use. Unless of course if OP could get this warranty replaced, but I don't think it is possible.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like they are scratches then rather than streaks, if you did not see any change trying my methods. Probably that 70% IPA method someone else suggested will be the last resort and if that does not work it is physical damage (=scratches). I never needed to go that far myself and I'm trying to avoid using harsh chemicals myself.

By the way, can you see the scratches with anything else than sunlight? I have been able to see the marks I needed to clean with very bright led flashlight but you need to try different angles, often marks are so that they only show from specific angle. Also I've noticed that this method works the best in dark room so you don't get "interference" from other lights. I'm pretty sure yours should show in that light too.
Interestingly, I cannot see the marks with a bright flashlight or subtle daylight. The screen seems spotless (I can see some marks because of the keyboard and some water stains with a flashlight, but this is all fine and expected). I'll try to check tomorrow when the sunlight is intense to double-check. Also, I'll try to look at the screen in a dark room with only one source after sunset. I'll inform you. Thank you for the interest :)

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
OP:

Once more...
You have "StainGate".

You can't "fix" the surface of the display, the anti-glare coating has been permanently damaged.

- Replace the display
or
- Replace the computer
or

(that is all, nothing follows...)
Yes, I know that Staingate is not fixable. But it should not happen as I follow solely Apple's instructions. That's the interesting part. Thank you for the suggestions 🙏

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
One more thing came to my mind after looking at the photos OP posted and that those scratches/streaks show only in sunlight. Does OP has possibility to check another machine in the same conditions? I'm just wondering if he sees something that is actually in every screen and shows only in certain way? Why I say this is because I noticed myself with both our new iPad AIR M1 when it took them out of the box and examined both for factory marks very carefully (as I always do with my new toys) and I noticed in sunlight looking at the screens in specific angle than whole surface was covered with straight fine scratches as if the screen was polished with something that cause uniform straight fine scratches. Those are so fine that they are practically impossible to see any other way than when the screen is completely clean from dust and fingerprints and looking from certain angle in sunlight or similar extremely bright light.

Again OP's marks in some photos look like they are not all straight lines, so could be something else too.
Or then they are combination of what I just described and from the scratches/streaks from cleaning.
Because in the photo in first post, they do not look straight lines but on the 2. page photos I'm seeing very fine straight lines and some wider not straight line streaks (those fine straight lines look kinda similar what I was describing above).
Without using force and using only water with Apple polishing cloth, while so many people claim that there is nothing bad on their screen, I cannot understand how my screen could be damaged by such a cleaning method. I'll try to find an another machine and check if it's also the same.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Or do nothing, if these marks only show in sunlight and never else in normal room lighting, if it is possible to avoid sunlight in normal use. Unless of course if OP could get this warranty replaced, but I don't think it is possible.
They gonna say "cosmetic damage" I'm sure about that, and in my country AppleCare+ is not available so I cannot get my screen replaced for a relatively small amount of money.

MrTSolar

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
I’ve used 91% Isopropyl Alcohol sprayed onto a micro-fiber towel to clean my screens for the last 4-5 years. Never had an issue. The only marks on my 13” MacBook Pro screen are from the keys touching the display.

Have you tried something other than water and the Apple cloth to clean the screen and see if the marks went away yet? Or, even just breathing onto the screen and wiping it with a clean, soft shirt? Try a small area and wipe in a circular motion, then check for the marks.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
Without using force and using only water with Apple polishing cloth, while so many people claim that there is nothing bad on their screen, I cannot understand how my screen could be damaged by such a cleaning method.
Many people don't really look so carefully their machines. I've learned that many times when I saw certain issue with my machines. :)

I'll try to find an another machine and check if it's also the same.
That would help determine this issue.

They gonna say "cosmetic damage" I'm sure about that, and in my country AppleCare+ is not available so I cannot get my screen replaced for a relatively small amount of money.
Yes, it is unlikely they will fix it under warranty.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Interestingly, I cannot see the marks with a bright flashlight or subtle daylight. The screen seems spotless (I can see some marks because of the keyboard and some water stains with a flashlight, but this is all fine and expected). I'll try to check tomorrow when the sunlight is intense to double-check. Also, I'll try to look at the screen in a dark room with only one source after sunset. I'll inform you. Thank you for the interest :)
The marks in your photos don't look like any typical or previous 'staingate' problem to me. Nor an issue with the anti-glare coating. They look like scratches, plain and simple, but in that abundance, the fact you can't feel them is a bit odd. They ought to cause a slight roughness in the surface, which if not detectable on your fingertip, should be on the back of a fingernail.

Marks caused by the keyboard almost always have definable edges, and they would show in just about any reflective light. As I said before, if these are only visible in sunlight, not any other lighting, and you can't feel any irregularities, it's almost as if there's damage on the polarizer on the panel - which is under the glass.

Surface damage on flat panel screens is fairly easily done, and often caused by micro-abrasives in common household cleaning fluids and many cloths. These panels are not actually glass, though at least many times more rigid than those previously used widely in earlier LCD screens which were prone to bruising from being poked at by users.

There are some (not always recommended) ways of reducing the visibility of these kind of scratches if they are on the surface, and searching for 'removing scratches in glasses' will give you some clues, but to test a bit, if you can get a small amount of very soft soap or liquid soap, rub it lightly into a small area of scratches and then gently buff it out. Make sure there are no contaminants in the soap, and the cloth is intended for glasses and is clean. If you see a change in the reflective scratches then they're surface and you may be able to mitigate them with other similar methods. If there's no change, then they may well not be surface at all.

You may be right, but the worst they can do is say is 'no'.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
Hmmm, it might be then similar to what I described seeing with our two iPad Air's. I never even checked my MBP 14" that way, I would not be surprised if I saw the same there.

But these additional checks and maybe if you can test another (any similar age MacBook) in the same conditions where you see those marks in yours, probably shed more light on this issue.

Anyway, personally as far as it goes for attempts to clean the screen more, I'd maybe (just maybe) lastly try that IPA 70% method someone suggested but if it does not make any difference, I'd leave it alone then. Those additional tests with soap and such chemicals likely just make it even worse. Since now you need sunlight to see the issue but once you manage to damage the AR-coating, you can't unsee it even in normal lighting.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
My M1 Pro 14" MBP got this kind of damage really quickly and I have no idea why. No laptop or other device I've owned has been like this, and my 16" M3 Pro MBP has been fine as well. Just weird.

• Sad

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
I’ve used 91% Isopropyl Alcohol sprayed onto a micro-fiber towel to clean my screens for the last 4-5 years. Never had an issue. The only marks on my 13” MacBook Pro screen are from the keys touching the display.

Have you tried something other than water and the Apple cloth to clean the screen and see if the marks went away yet? Or, even just breathing onto the screen and wiping it with a clean, soft shirt? Try a small area and wipe in a circular motion, then check for the marks.
Breath did not work. I'll try 70% IPA. Thanks for the suggestions.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Hmmm, it might be then similar to what I described seeing with our two iPad Air's. I never even checked my MBP 14" that way, I would not be surprised if I saw the same there.

But these additional checks and maybe if you can test another (any similar age MacBook) in the same conditions where you see those marks in yours, probably shed more light on this issue.

Anyway, personally as far as it goes for attempts to clean the screen more, I'd maybe (just maybe) lastly try that IPA 70% method someone suggested but if it does not make any difference, I'd leave it alone then. Those additional tests with soap and such chemicals likely just make it even worse. Since now you need sunlight to see the issue but once you manage to damage the AR-coating, you can't unsee it even in normal lighting.
I have also tried with sunlight again and the marks appeared unfortunately. I cannot see any marks with other light sources, even though they are intense.

I'll try to find another machine and will inform you about the result.

And I don't usually use the machine outdoors. So the marks are not apparent the way I use it. But it's still interesting that Apple Polishing Cloth + water is causing that type of issue. I don't want to damage the screen further, so the last thing I will try is that 70% IPA, as Apple recommends it.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
The marks in your photos don't look like any typical or previous 'staingate' problem to me. Nor an issue with the anti-glare coating. They look like scratches, plain and simple, but in that abundance, the fact you can't feel them is a bit odd. They ought to cause a slight roughness in the surface, which if not detectable on your fingertip, should be on the back of a fingernail.
I agree that it is not the "Staingate" apparent with older Macs, but it seems to be a variant of the issue as it concerns the AR coating. And I can't feel any scratch on the screen.

There are some (not always recommended) ways of reducing the visibility of these kind of scratches if they are on the surface, and searching for 'removing scratches in glasses' will give you some clues, but to test a bit, if you can get a small amount of very soft soap or liquid soap, rub it lightly into a small area of scratches and then gently buff it out. Make sure there are no contaminants in the soap, and the cloth is intended for glasses and is clean. If you see a change in the reflective scratches then they're surface and you may be able to mitigate them with other similar methods. If there's no change, then they may well not be surface at all.
Actually, I'm really scared of using a solution to clean that is not recommended. I hope you can understand me :) I can live with the scratches, as they can only be seen in sunlight. The interesting part is how it could happen if the cleaning routine only consists of air, a polishing cloth, and not hard water. As for the warranty, I don't have any other computer than that. Right now, it is not possible, but I have a warranty for more than 1 year. I'll also try that.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I agree that it is not the "Staingate" appearent with older macs, but seems a variant about the issue, as it concerns the AR coating. And I can't feel any scratch on the screen.

Actually, I'm really scared of using a solution to clean which is not recommended, hope you can understand me :) I can live with the scratches, as they can only be seen with sunlight. The interesting part is that how could be happen if the cleaning routine only consist of air + polishing cloth + not hard water.
There is no reason to try any solution that you don't feel comfortable with - if the scratches are only visible in sunlight and you don't see them unless you're looking for them, the answer is to stop looking for them!

The only purpose of my suggestion was that something like a liquid soap wouldn't so much clean the scratches, because if they are scratches, they're not cleanable anyway, but to partially infill them so they're not so noticeable. If they are not scratches but markings of some sort, then ideally you'd want to know what the cause it, to better understand the way to clean them off, because they're going to need something more than just wiping with a cloth.

IPA is good stuff for cleaning off residues, but these don't look entirely like that. If this is the residue of something, then even IPA is likely going to need something like a very soft sponge as a wiping surface to give it some frictional action to work with.

Personally, I'd leave them alone unless they're a major irritant when using the system. One concern would be that if there has been something in your environment (small particulates in dust, for example, if you're close to something like building work, major roadways, or even smoke from wildfires and the like) then anything you might try could actually be unwittingly making it worse, not better, since the particulates could be already embedded in cleaning cloths and materials.

validate

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
There is no reason to try any solution that you don't feel comfortable with - if the scratches are only visible in sunlight and you don't see them unless you're looking for them, the answer is to stop looking for them!

The only purpose of my suggestion was that something like a liquid soap wouldn't so much clean the scratches, because if they are scratches, they're not cleanable anyway, but to partially infill them so they're not so noticeable. If they are not scratches but markings of some sort, then ideally you'd want to know what the cause it, to better understand the way to clean them off, because they're going to need something more than just wiping with a cloth.

IPA is good stuff for cleaning off residues, but these don't look entirely like that. If this is the residue of something, then even IPA is likely going to need something like a very soft sponge as a wiping surface to give it some frictional action to work with.

Personally, I'd leave them alone unless they're a major irritant when using the system. One concern would be that if there has been something in your environment (small particulates in dust, for example, if you're close to something like building work, major roadways, or even smoke from wildfires and the like) then anything you might try could actually be unwittingly making it worse, not better, since the particulates could be already embedded in cleaning cloths and materials.
Hi. I tried little soap + water solution. Didn’t work. Then I have tried cleaning the “clean” screen with filtered water and polishing cloth with circular motion. Then I have detected some more scratches which are circular. Sigh. I didn’t even apply force, the screen was clean, the polishing cloth was clean and I cleaned the cloth in a special place I’m sure that it won’t get any particle from outside. I don’t think IPA will do anything other than harm, as I’m sure that they are not streaks or something. And I still don’t know how it happens, as the environment I live is not dusty. :/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote in reply 74:
"I tried little soap + water solution. Didn’t work. Then I have tried cleaning the “clean” screen with filtered water and polishing cloth with circular motion. Then I have detected some more scratches which are circular. Sigh."

Once again...
Go back and re-read my reply #36 to you.

You keep trying to "explain yourself out of" the problem you actually have, which is... StainGate.

Live with it, or replace the display, or replace the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.