Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it has been running when I've been trying. Cheers though.

----------

Yeah, didn't really want to try that but might be getting to the point where it's worth it.

Can you sync it by starting the sync FROM iTunes? With the phone unplugged from the PC, it should still show up. You should be able to right-click and select Sync. It will search for the phone for about 40 seconds then start the sync.

miKe.Tomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Can you sync it by starting the sync FROM iTunes? With the phone unplugged from the PC, it should still show up. You should be able to right-click and select Sync. It will search for the phone for about 40 seconds then start the sync.

I do not see my phone in iTunes available for that option at all. The only time my phone shows up in iTunes is if i directly connect it to the computer.

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011

It's not actually showing up in iTunes. Plugging the iPhone into power has produced the same results as it did in iOS 4. i.e., it charges the phone. No communication with iTunes at all.

miKe.Tomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I just noticed while checking my itunes settings that it unselected my option to have itunes in the system tray and to minimize to system tray. Seems to me iTunes 10.5 is not keeping its settings properly stored on the computer due to 2 times having settings unselected without my knowledge. Firstly after plugging in my phone it unselected the sync over wifi option. Secondly it unselected the system tray options in preferences.

I think we need to start looking into iTunes and what OS youre using. I'm currently working with iTunes 10.5 on WinXP 32bit.

Pretty sure this issue we're having is going to come down to a full uninstall with registry deletion. Full reinstall and test.

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I just noticed while checking my itunes settings that it unselected my option to have itunes in the system tray and to minimize to system tray. Seems to me iTunes 10.5 is not keeping its settings properly stored on the computer due to 2 times having settings unselected without my knowledge. Firstly after plugging in my phone it unselected the sync over wifi option. Secondly it unselected the system tray options in preferences.

I think we need to start looking into iTunes and what OS youre using. I'm currently working with iTunes 10.5 on WinXP 32bit.

I'm basically on the latest of everything:

- iOS 5
- iTunes 10.5
- OS X 10.7.2

miKe.Tomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
So its happening across the board then. I'm starting to believe we were given a dirty upgrade. I've read countless reports of people not having problems at all so its gotta be just a bad install of the update.

miKe.Tomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
So, um, I just closed my iTunes. Plugged my phone into the wall outlet. Sync option was available with iTunes closed!!! Makes nooooo sense at all. :confused:

I hit sync and iTunes stayed closed. So i opened it and of course nothing was happening and it didnt even work lol. WOW

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
It's not actually showing up in iTunes. Plugging the iPhone into power has produced the same results as it did in iOS 4. i.e., it charges the phone. No communication with iTunes at all.

That may point to part of the problem. On windows (don't have a Mac handy) it is there now. Right now my phone is in the other room and I can initiate a sync from iTunes. Prior to this version it would disappear as soon as I unplug.

You're right, there sounds like there is a bug or at least an un-obvious trick to get it to work.

miKe.Tomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I did a restore on my iPhone and its still not working as intended. I got to go back to work. Basically the phone is fine. Its iTunes that is messed up and not working as intended.

gage006

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
If you have a dual-band router, you have to make sure both devices are on the same band.

I was having wifi sync issues, but I figured out that is was because my Mini is on the 'n' band and my iP4 is on the 'g' band. Once I switched my Mini over to the 'g' band, it synced.

Scratch that. Now it seems to be wifi syncing without issue with my Mini on 'n' and my iPhone on 'g'.

How strange.:confused:

Holy crap. That fixed my problem. That's rather annoying as the iPhone won't connect to my 5ghz connection all my other machines use.

Also disappointed to see that the 4S is still 2.4ghz only as well.

jedelaney01

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Grass Valley, Ca
I found the solution

All you have to do is connect your phone to your computer like you used to do ( USB cord). Click on the iPhone device on the left side of the screen and then scroll down to "options" and check the box "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi".

miKe.Tomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
All you have to do is connect your phone to your computer like you used to do ( USB cord). Click on the iPhone device on the left side of the screen and then scroll down to "options" and check the box "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi".

Gotta love the fools that post such dumb stuff without even reading the thread

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011

All you have to do is read the thread.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
The solution I found is kind of strange. You have to have iTunes open on your computer for the wireless sync to work!If you turn iTunes off, the "Sync Now" options gets greyed out and "Sync will resume when class77's Mac is available" now shows up on the screen. Turn iTunes back on and everything starts working again even it you are not physically connected.

One other thing I've noticed about wireless sync. If you will look at iTunes, you will see that the device you've just synced wirelessly is now showing up in Devices on your Mac and there's an ejection button beside it. Does that now mean that you need to go to your Mac and eject the device everytime you wirelessly sync? Kind of defeats the purpose of wireless syncing, doesn't it?

Is there an option to have iTunes start when the computer does?

James Bond

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
New Zealand, Pale Blue Dot
The solution I found is kind of strange. You have to have iTunes open on your computer for the wireless sync to work!If you turn iTunes off, the "Sync Now" options gets greyed out and "Sync will resume when class77's Mac is available" now shows up on the screen. Turn iTunes back on and everything starts working again even it you are not physically connected.

One other thing I've noticed about wireless sync. If you will look at iTunes, you will see that the device you've just synced wirelessly is now showing up in Devices on your Mac and there's an ejection button beside it. Does that now mean that you need to go to your Mac and eject the device everytime you wirelessly sync? Kind of defeats the purpose of wireless syncing, doesn't it?

My iTunes is open and running most of the time.

Still no cigar!

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion but this has been covered in the thread already.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
Even though I've selected in iTunes to sync over wi-fi (in both my iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS), and even though iTunes is running, I can't make this work. Last night I tried again and booth devices appeared on iTunes, and I could sync my iPad once. The next time, it didn't work, and both devices disapeared from iTunes. This is very strange.

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
To those that can't be bothered to read the thread (or even just the original post apparantly), here's what I and others with this issue have already covered in this thread:

- Updated to iTunes 10.5
- Updated to iOS 5
- Updated to OS X 10.7.2
- Synced iPhone fully before trying Wi-Fi Sync
- Selected the "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi" option in iTunes
- Connected iPhone to power
- Left iTunes running before connecting iPhone to power
- Not had iTunes running before connecting iPhone to power

Feel free to suggest anything that HASN'T already been suggested!

Thanks

CHRONiC YOUTH

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
- you don't need to be plugged in except for the first time when u check wifi sync, after that u just exit itunes and open it up again and it'll find your device and sync

sn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
- you don't need to be plugged in except for the first time when u check wifi sync, after that u just exit itunes and open it up again and it'll find your device and sync

either way it's not working.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Do you have "sync with this computer" selected instead of sync with iCloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.