Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
OK, hoping this is the appropriate forum for my question! We've had a few visitors to our yard in the last couple of years, including a bear. So, we'd like to get a video camera that is motion-activated and either stores video to an SD/CF card, or wirelessly transmit to one of our Macs. Any suggestions? Would like to keep it below a $100 if possible.

SpecSpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2023
Those bear visitors sound scary! A few budget-friendly wildlife camera options that may work for you:

• Wyze Cam V3 - Comes in just under $50, records 1080p video to an SD card with motion/sound detection. App lets you check live view too. Pretty user friendly.
  • Spypoint Link-Micro - Around $100, hides small but captures 1080p footage on a card. Decent night vision. App is handy for setting it up remotely.
  • Sunnypeak Outdoor Camera - About $60, IP65 weatherproofing is good for rain. Basic but gets job done of capturing yard visitors.
Might be worth seeing if any local trail cams have good reviews too. Hope you catch just what's been snacking in your yard!

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I live on a 35 acre parcel in the Sierra's in CA and get all kinds of critters year round, mountain lions, bears, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons etc etc and we have a herd of deer living on our property. I have had many trail cams and currently have 10 around.

My favorite is the Browning Dark Ops Extreme, it is great quality day and night, blends in well and does not startle wildlife.
I've added some screenshots from some videos (I have the cams all set to vid).

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.15.36 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.18.33 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.24.28 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.23.58 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.23.12 PM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.