Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
I need a battery replacement for my 2017 MacBook 12 inch.

$200 to replace the battery.

I was under the impression that the battery itself is attached to the keyboard so when a battery replacement is done that the keyboard is switched out as well since it’s all one piece.

I had a 2016 MacBook Pro that was part of the keyboard replacement program and when I sent in the MacBook Pro to have the keyboard replaced they gave me a brand new battery as well.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
The battery is glued to the upper chassis, the keyboard is also riveted to the chassis. So it's normal if the battery is replaced, they change the whole upper chassis including the battery and trackpad.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
Yes. We sent a laptop to a premium reseller and they changed the keyboard and the battery

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I need a battery replacement for my 2017 MacBook 12 inch.

$200 to replace the battery.

I was under the impression that the battery itself is attached to the keyboard so when a battery replacement is done that the keyboard is switched out as well since it’s all one piece.

I had a 2016 MacBook Pro that was part of the keyboard replacement program and when I sent in the MacBook Pro to have the keyboard replaced they gave me a brand new battery as well.
Unlike with the MacBook Air and Pro, the battery is not glued in to the top case on the 12" MacBook, so when you get a battery replacement, you don't get a replacement keyboard. The battery and logic board are attached to the lower case, which is pretty much just the bottom plate of the computer.

Reactions: Eric#8 and VivienM

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I take my MacBook 2015 into Apple to seek a replacement battery. I heard they don't have batteries anymore for the 12" MacBook. I hope I am wrong...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I take my MacBook 2015 into Apple to seek a replacement battery. I heard they don't have batteries anymore for the 12" MacBook. I hope I am wrong...
The 2015 and 2016 MacBooks are in what Apple considers vintage status. They may still have batteries, but don’t delay in taking the computer in as they don’t guarantee they’ll have parts.

Reactions: loby

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
The battery is glued to the upper chassis, the keyboard is also riveted to the chassis. So it's normal if the battery is replaced, they change the whole upper chassis including the battery and trackpad.
This is wrong. I just had my 2017 12" Retina MacBook battery replaced by Apple last week. Took it to the Apple Store and they shipped it to the depot for repair. Only the battery was replaced, not the keyboard.

There is some confusion because if you send it in for a keyboard replacement, then my understanding is they WILL also exchange the battery.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Not on the MacBooks. I took my 2015 in to Apple two days ago and they said they only replace the battery and the Bottom cover it is glued too.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This is wrong. I just had my 2017 12" Retina MacBook battery replaced by Apple last week. Took it to the Apple Store and they shipped it to the depot for repair. Only the battery was replaced, not the keyboard.

There is some confusion because if you send it in for a keyboard replacement, then my understanding is they WILL also exchange the battery.
The confusion is that on the Air and Pro models, a keyboard replacement includes a new battery, and vice versa, because Apole glued the battery in on the top case, where on the 12” MacBook the battery is glued to the bottom cover.

Reactions: Eric#8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.