Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I believe force-touch (assuming it's coming) is in the unique position of being the first killer feature (since multi-touch) the iPhone has introduced that other smartphone makers will look bad if they copy it. Siri was an app after all, and Touch ID (while being the most reliable) was not the first fingerprint scanner.

I really hope Apple patents this feature well! There could be some really neat uses for it. I would want it for dismissing all notifications, closing all apps, and opening a tab in the background.

What do you guys think?

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
It adds the 3rd dimension to multi touch. It's a neat innovation, and I'd like to see how Apple will incorporate it into iOS. They seem to have done a good job on both Watch OS and OS X.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it actually annoys me a little on my Apple Watch cuz obviously theres no real indication on when its possible and when not. the ipad is also so thin now that a hard press on the screen makes the screen change its color ^^

Reactions: luke lau

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
I keep on force pressing my phone after trying out the watch. It's something I could get used to

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
it actually annoys me a little on my Apple Watch cuz obviously theres no real indication on when its possible and when not. the ipad is also so thin now that a hard press on the screen makes the screen change its color ^^
Huh? For me to get my iPad screen to change colors I need to press down on it pretty hard. You don't press that hard for Force Touch.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This is the first feature Apple has actually added by there selves.
I see your point. This time, others can't say: well, Apple wasn't the first with this feature, therefore they were the ones that copied. In my opinion, any device manufacturer that copies this specific feature will look just as bad as those who copied Apple's dual-tone flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.