Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufflyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Here's my concern and hope someone has an answer. This seems it will only work with a provider service such as AT&T. My problem is I work as an ex-pat where there is no iPhone provider so we have to run our iPhones after being Jailbroke.

What I want to know is will this work overseas like the iTouch? Can ebooks under ePub be purchased from other eLibraries and then transferred to the new iPad? Can't I just run it off of WiFi and still have access to mail, calender, etc like the iTouch?

I use my iphone and itouch all the time and I'd love to save on buying an eReader and have all these other options, including a color touch screen.

Anyone have any answers to these questions?
Thanks

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Here's my concern and hope someone has an answer. This seems it will only work with a provider service such as AT&T. My problem is I work as an ex-pat where there is no iPhone provider so we have to run our iPhones after being Jailbroke.

What I want to know is will this work overseas like the iTouch? Can ebooks under ePub be purchased from other eLibraries and then transferred to the new iPad? Can't I just run it off of WiFi and still have access to mail, calender, etc like the iTouch?

I use my iphone and itouch all the time and I'd love to save on buying an eReader and have all these other options, including a color touch screen.

Anyone have any answers to these questions?
Thanks
yes to 3g overseas. dont know about the books. and wifi will work fine without 3g, there are wifi-only models.

bufflyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks

Hoping it'll have sync capabilities like the iTouch.

There is rumor here that an iPhone provider is due to start up anytime now. Therefore, I'm wondering it it'll be possible to purchase in the US as if belonging to a provider and then set up the account here when the iPhone provider goes live.

I'm just really hesitant because the first generation of Kindles did NOT work overseas, but the Kindle2 does as long as you buy and download on a computer and then transfer to the Kindle2.

I want everything my iPhone or iTouch can do + be capable of loading up with eBooks (from various places besides the iBookstore or whatever it's called.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Therefore, I'm wondering it it'll be possible to purchase in the US as if belonging to a provider and then set up the account here when the iPhone provider goes live.
The keynote said that it's being sold unlocked (i.e. not belonging to any specific provider).

If the keynote is correct, you'd simply buy the 3G model (in the size you want), and then setup an account with any provider in your area that offers EDGE/HSPDA data service.

bufflyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks!

The keynote said that it's being sold unlocked (i.e. not belonging to any specific provider).

If the keynote is correct, you'd simply buy the 3G model (in the size you want), and then setup an account with any provider in your area that offers EDGE/HSPDA data service.

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. So, as long as it reads ePub and I can transfer ebooks from other ePub libraries, than this is my gadget!!`

You are a Demi-God!! Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.