Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanburchell

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Mac Studio, 2 monitors. First via USB-C, second via HDMI. The 'better' monitor connected via USB-C seems to wake more slowly. MacOS starts with all app windows configured as they were pre-sleep. But with the delay in one monitor causes the OS to move everything to monitor 2. Then monitor one wakes and everything get's redistributed—most of the time. Sometimes, the delay is too long and everything has to be repositioned from monitor 2. This is particularly troublesome with Adobe apps (another issue entire, I know :rolleyes:). I know there are window management apps, which I have started exploring but has anyone come across a way to just delay the process a little? I'd take a slow wake from sleep if everything was reliably in the right place.

Reactions: PaddyPatPat

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
There is no fix, software or otherwise, for this problem. You can use software to mitigate it, meaning you can use apps to set up "workspaces" that allow you to organize your windows with the click of a button... but problems like Adobe app windows that shrink to half their size or get placed half off the screen when your second monitor finally "connects" won't go away. The only thing you can do is fix them more quickly.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2016
I feel your pain. My Mac Studio just showed up yesterday and I'm noticing that every time I come back to my machine all the windows have moved to one display. Very annoying since this didn't happen with my other machine.

I do have a second thunderbolt to HDMI adapter coming in the mail today. I was going to use this for a different computer, but I'm thinking about testing it here, putting both monitors on thunderbolt, rather than having one on HDMI and one on thunderbolt. If it works it'll be a bit of an annoying hack, but it might be worth it... I'll let you know what I find out.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I have this problem too, even on a setup where both monitors are the same model. I'm curious- are any of your display resolutions scaled rather than native? Mine are all 5k scaled down to show on 4k monitors, and I think sometimes macOS temporarily considers a condition where my displays are in native resolution, punting all my windows around, and then showing my preferred resolution.

Also, do you use spaces? That adds another layer...

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2016
I'm curious- are any of your display resolutions scaled rather than native? Mine are all 5k scaled down to show on 4k monitors, and I think sometimes macOS temporarily considers a condition where my displays are in native resolution, punting all my windows around, and then showing my preferred resolution.

Also, do you use spaces? That adds another layer...
I have two LG 4k monitors and "native" resolution seems to be 1920x1080 or something like that, which is... unhelpful for me. I use the "middle/medium" scaling option in display settings.

I just had the idea today to turn on Spaces for each monitor. I typically don't like spaces, since my brain has been wired to always hunt for the menu bar on one screen, it's going to take some getting used to, but my hope/theory is that maybe because everything is saved per space, maybe it'll fix my issue.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I also have this problem after I got an M1 MBP. I use both the screen on MBP and an external 5K LG monitor. The M1 MBP is so fast at waking up (good) that all windows move to the MBP screen (bad) and then when the LG screen wakes up some of them move back there, but not all (bad). So, EVERY time the computer wakes, I have to use a minute on re-arranging windows. It drives me crazy.

donut2d

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2022
I'm getting this as well with my Mac Studio. Frustrating. Didn't have this issue with my 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have this problem with Windows 10. I have had the problem on Big Sur but I don't have it on Monterey. One thing that I did recently was make the faster monitor the Main Display.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2016
I'm still having this issue, but I wanted to give an update to anyone else dealing with this. I've found that if you hide apps window positions are saved. So I created a script that is triggered after 5 minutes of inactivity and hides all the applications. (I'm using Keyboard Maestro to achieve this automatically. I also made a Stream Deck trigger key so I can do it on command.)

It currently doesn't hide open Finder windows, so those tend to get moved to monitor 1, but overall it's been a lot less annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.