Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birera

Suspended
Mar 13, 2023
The problem with AMD, revolves around windows 11 and it impacts performance. AMD is promising the issue will finally be resolved (but I heard that before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Yes, those are good brands, it depends on what you're looking for, budget, and preferences. I'd recommend something from Lenovo. I think the Thinkpad Yoga for instance is a great laptop.

I'm torn by the Framework laptop. The philosophy is great, but you're buying it on faith. Here's one user's 6 month review. If it had a better GPU, I'd probably be more inclined to buy it myself.

Hi!

Looking to buy my wife a new Windows laptop for her birthday. Here are the general requirements...

-General apps, Office, browsing, etc.
- Touchscreen with foldable option to use as tablet
- Fairly rugged (especially touchpad)
- Ideally less than $1,000 but flexible

Any suggestions on which models I should look at? Good sites/retailers, deals, etc. all appreciated.

Thanks!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Hi!

Looking to buy my wife a new Windows laptop for her birthday. Here are the general requirements...

-General apps, Office, browsing, etc.
- Touchscreen with foldable option to use as tablet
- Fairly rugged (especially touchpad)
- Ideally less than $1,000 but flexible

Any suggestions on which models I should look at? Good sites/retailers, deals, etc. all appreciated.

Thanks!
I would take a look into Lenovo laptops. Quite a few 2 in 1 designs, touchscreens and been impressed with the build quality of mine.

Something like this fits the bill for you, they are on a heavy discount right now and thinkbooks/thinkpads are very durable business laptops

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Check Best Buy. They have sales often and are having a pre labor day sale now. A lot of laptops from $500-$1500 that are pretty decent. Obviously on the lower end you get a lot of compromise but in the middle from say $800-$1000 you can find really good deals.

Asus new 14" Zenbooks are very nice with gorilla glass touch screen with 120hz 2.5k OLED screen and fast 13th gen Intel processor. They have been on sale often and are priced well even at MSRP. No use of customer service yet but probably close to Lenovo and maybe not as good as Dell or HP?

Lenovo 7i series of laptops offer consistently the best specs and value in the 2 in one laptop category. Lenovo customer service for repair is good. Not great on communication but device repaired quickly. No loaner.

HP Spectre or Envy are generally decent although you need to be careful of the screens. Sometimes the Envy may compromise on screen. They have all kinds of processor, ram configs, AMD or Intel processor. HP customer service has been very good. Loaner given.

Dell XPS are nice but a bit over priced. Some of the lower cost Dell laptops are not bad. Generally Dell cost more but most people say the quality and customer service makes up for it.

Just wait for the sales and take your pick. Summer and Black Friday tend to be the best.

birera

Suspended
Mar 13, 2023
I'm in need of a PC laptop to run a specific software. SuiteCG. The specs required don't seem outrageous.
intel i5 3ghz or better, 8 gigs of ram, windows 10.

I'm looking for something a bit more maybe 16 gigs of ram, 512 SSD, HDMI, multiple USB C and A ports (bonus if I can charge through USB-C, lightweight and touchscreen (maybe like 14/15 inches)

I may do some very light video editing in the field if needed. Mostly HD, cutting up clips etc.

What's the deal with AMD Ryzen? Windows 10 vs Windows 11?

What are some good brands/models to look it? Lenovo? Acer? Dell? Asus?

I haven't bought a PC since my gateway 2000 that I had in high school so I'm at a complete loss at what to look for.

Thanks in advance!
Would anyone be able to recommend a laptop that is powerful enough to use for gaming, music editing and also as a home workhorse? Don't want to spend more than £1k so doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles but looking to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Would anyone be able to recommend a laptop that is powerful enough to use for gaming, music editing and also as a home workhorse? Don't want to spend more than £1k so doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles but looking to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance
Check BestBuy sales from now until Black Friday.

There are tons of deals on gaming laptops. I am partial to Asus but Lenovo, and Alienware are good.

Not a big fan of Razor because they are just so expensive but their designs are very nice.

Just check the specs. Seems like a 4060 or 3060 from Nvidia would be good enough, 16gb ram, 13th gen Intel h series or Ryzen 7 7th gen would be good. 120hz and at least 2k resolution with at least 400 nits brightness.

Good luck!

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Fascinating. I think my Lenovo uses a hardware TPM, so I don't see the problem.

I don't really like the idea of this fTPM, but that's just my initial reaction.
Sorry about responding to old posts, I hardly ever notice the date and I should!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.