Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Fu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Hi All,

I believe all of you may have multiple Macs, but how many of you still have Windows PCs? If so, could you share what you do to use Windows PCs? I switched to Mac after the Intel Mac release, I was using a lot of Windows apps, but as soon as I switched, I did not go back to Windows anymore, there was only one to use if I needed to flash some PC GPU, after that, I did not know should I need to keep my PC anymore, any advice?

Thank you All

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I have an old PCI-e PC in storage, in case flashing GPUs go havoc. Dont needed it since I guess 3 or 4 years. Now I solder the chips or use a programmer with a clip.

For some tools that are windows only I use a mini PC by RDP. It's a headleass cigar box size box plugged in my network.

And I have some Windows installations I can boot on the MP5,1 - but that's more for support than for own needs.

If you do a lot of hardware stuff and the PC is worthless (plus you have the space for it) keep it. If you can make some cash from it, sell it.

Reactions: John Fu

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I use them for my C.A.D. work. I have a HP Z2 workstation / Xeon W1250 / Quadro T600 4 GB / 32GB R.A.M. W11 Pro For Workstations and for travel it's a Thinkpad T14 i5 with 16 GB R.A.M. I found that Macs just are not that great for the C.A.D. work so I keep the Windows machines around. I do like using them a lot as well but on a 4K monitor the Macs win vs. the PC's.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I believe all of you may have multiple Macs, but how many of you still have Windows PCs? If so, could you share what you do to use Windows PCs?
I have 2 Windows desktops, a Windows laptop, and an M2 Pro Mini Mac, and an Intel iMac. (at least that's all I have set up right now)

Here at home I do the same exact things with the Windows PC's that I do with the Mac's. (remote work, forum surfing, email, games, ...) A variety is my only reason for having both.

At work I'm only Windows and that's how I make my money.

I switched to Mac after the Intel Mac release, I was using a lot of Windows apps, but as soon as I switched, I did not go back to Windows anymore, there was only one to use if I needed to flash some PC GPU, after that, I did not know should I need to keep my PC anymore, any advice?
You don't need it, don't keep it. If you end up needing it later, you can always buy a used cheapie windows laptop cheap. I need Windows at work, so I need it here at home too. The only thing I'd get rid of is my Macs, and I'm not doing that just yet. Might not buy another one though...

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Windows gaming machine for me. I love my M2 air but obviously not for gaming. I wouldnt get a windows laptop ever again after owning a mac but hard to replace this I7-13700k/RTX 4080 gaming beast

bmoraski

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
Windows gaming here as well. I have 3 PCs that I have built over the years. One of which is a Hackintosh. And one is my gaming rig. Have an old ASUS laptop that just sits in a drawer. I use my MacPro 5,1 for music and video , pics etc. I use my M1 MacBook Air for most of my business stuff. I also have the first iMac 17" with intel.I have a lot of Amiga's , Commodore 64's and old PCs in basement. Im a bit of a collector, or hoarder depending on how you look at it.

Reactions: MacFoxG4

John Fu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Windows gaming here as well. I have 3 PCs that I have built over the years. One of which is a Hackintosh. And one is my gaming rig. Have an old ASUS laptop that just sits in a drawer. I use my MacPro 5,1 for music and video , pics etc. I use my M1 MacBook Air for most of my business stuff. I also have the first iMac 17" with intel.I have a lot of Amiga's , Commodore 64's and old PCs in basement. Im a bit of a collector, or hoarder depending on how you look at it.
Wow, just do not know how you setup your desk?

• Haha
Reactions: bmoraski

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I use a 2017 iMac 27" 5K because I prefer the overall experience of a Mac, which feels more 'organic,' like the system is a unified whole, whereas PCs work okay with somehow feel like 'Franken-rigs' to me - this case, that motherboard, etc... Yes, I know Macs may use 3rd party components, but the Mac feels like a computer and a PC feels like an assembly of parts acting as a computer. To me. There are pro.s and con.s to both systems.

We bought our 10-year old daughter a PC notebook. In a nutshell, it's not so different from a Mac in overall use, and Windows PCs are what students tend to encounter at school or in the workplace, so it's a good platform to have some familiarity with.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I have two PCs still although I wish I didn't.

Dell 7670 company issues for work stuff. It's horrible I hate it. The day job is basically a combination of data analyst, statistician, sysadmin and general monkey. It gets in the way of everything I do.

Custom i5-13700K jobby. This is slowly working its way onto eBay now as I don't need it any more.

I only need to do stuff occasionally with Windows so I've created a virtual machine inside EC2 in AWS and will just fire that up as and when I need it. Cost me a bank breaking $1.15 this month!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Hi All,

I believe all of you may have multiple Macs, but how many of you still have Windows PCs? If so, could you share what you do to use Windows PCs? I switched to Mac after the Intel Mac release, I was using a lot of Windows apps, but as soon as I switched, I did not go back to Windows anymore, there was only one to use if I needed to flash some PC GPU, after that, I did not know should I need to keep my PC anymore, any advice?

Thank you All
I have several Macs and several Windows PC's. I only have 1 Windows PC (laptop) that I use specifically for my banking etc. The programs I use are not available on the Mac. The other Windows PC's are gaming rigs (Alienware and HP Omen). My other Windows PC that are not gaming rigs, I have Ubuntu and other Linux distros installed.

I find Windows rather annoying and I have been a Microsoft user since MS-DOS 4.0 and Windows 2.0 but since Windows now has morphed into a service, the operating system has turned into an advertising platform for Microsoft. There's nothing more frustrating than to be logged into a website and up flashes a banner in Microsoft Edge or a notification to try this new feature etc. That just distracts the hell out of me. I rarely see a Mac do that as well as Ubuntu.

I also no longer use a Microsoft account on any of my Windows PC's.

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
I may be in the minority but I don’t actually have any Mac right now despite using an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Had a late 2011 MacBook Pro before. It died due to the infamous AMD GPU issue. Since then I haven’t purchased another Mac because they were too expensive for what they offered at the time (2019, when I had to replace my MacBook Pro). Maybe I’ll change my mind eventually, but right now I have 3 personal computers: a desktop that I use exclusively for gaming, an ASUS Zenbook laptop which i use for when I need to do something that requires using a computer, such as managing photos, work on spreadsheets, and so on, and a Surface Go tablet which I usually just use when I’m out visiting family and may need a laptop (I use my iPad exclusively for media consumption). Besides this, I have a work issued PC laptop which I use exclusively for work.

So far, this combo works well for me. Since I use mostly cross platform solutions for music streaming, password manager, cloud storage, and so on, I haven’t felt the need for a Mac, at least yet! :) but we will see what time will tell. The new Apple Silicon macs seem good, but I see no reason to get yet another computer at the moment :) maybe when my current laptop dies? On the desktop side I don’t see myself ever getting a Mac (I like the versatility, customizability and upgradability PCs provide).

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I may be in the minority but I don’t actually have any Mac right now despite using an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Had a late 2011 MacBook Pro before. It died due to the infamous AMD GPU issue. Since then I haven’t purchased another Mac because they were too expensive for what they offered at the time (2019, when I had to replace my MacBook Pro). Maybe I’ll change my mind eventually, but right now I have 3 personal computers: a desktop that I use exclusively for gaming, an ASUS Zenbook laptop which i use for when I need to do something that requires using a computer, such as managing photos, work on spreadsheets, and so on, and a Surface Go tablet which I usually just use when I’m out visiting family and may need a laptop (I use my iPad exclusively for media consumption). Besides this, I have a work issued PC laptop which I use exclusively for work.

So far, this combo works well for me. Since I use mostly cross platform solutions for music streaming, password manager, cloud storage, and so on, I haven’t felt the need for a Mac, at least yet! :) but we will see what time will tell. The new Apple Silicon macs seem good, but I see no reason to get yet another computer at the moment :) maybe when my current laptop dies? On the desktop side I don’t see myself ever getting a Mac (I like the versatility, customizability and upgradability PCs provide).
For me, I never considered a Mac until the M series chips were released, I held out still for a bit to make sure it was going to be a success and got an m2 air. Would never get another windows laptop after owning this. I still love my gaming desktop, and like you, will be sticking with that set up for the long haul

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I have a Lenovo 7i tower desktop (10th gen Intel). Rock solid. I have a 2022 LG Gram 17". Very nice having that size screen with very little weight. Then I have an Apple Studio and Apple Studio display. Also an M1 Pro 16" MBP. These days I use the macs more, but I have to reboot them more often than the Win machines (even after clean re-images). I'm retired and just fiddle with whatever suits my fancy at the time.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I also have a 2022 Lg Gram 17. Thats all I have windows and I rarely use it.
After the release of the M chip, went all in Apple. Mac laptops and mac mini pro for desktop. No gaming here so there was no reason to keep any windows desktops.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Really depends on your needs. I have found that the Asus 14 Zenbook Oled with 120hz Oled touch screenat 2.5k resolution, Intel 12th, 13th gen, and now meteor lake. Depending on the model you can get 8 or 16gb ram and Intel h series processors. I think this is a very well rounded laptop for most general use. If you want something with more graphics performance an AMD 7th gen or better or dedicated GPU like Nvidia 4060, etc.

I have a Windows Laptop because I don't like the Apple lock down. The Apple ecosystem is great until you want to use one device that isn't an Apple product you are screwed. I have a lot of Galaxy devices and a Mac and iPad. I used to have an iPhone and until you don't have an iPhone you don't realize how much you lose once you get another phone. It shouldn't be this way and there is no technical reason why. I could have the same level of interconnectivity on my Android phone with my Mac as an iPhone if Apple decided to do so.

I have the laptop I recommended above. It is newer than my Mac but I have had it several months now and the keyboard keys look the same as the day I bought it. My Mac has shiny keys after about a month. My Windows laptop is Milspec rated so I feel more confident it will last. The idea that Windows laptops slow down in a year or so is not because of hardware.... If you manage your Windows install then you won't have issues.

What I find interesting is people who say Windows doesn't last a long time. Are you serious. Just a year ago I helped a guy buy a new PC because he was still using a PC with Windows 7. It was slow and had issues but he was able to keep that Pc for over 10 years!

I think the value proposition on Windows is better and you have more control. Tired of Windows telemetry, go into the registry and turn it off, or just get rid of Windows completely and put Linux on it. You can do it on a Mac but it is not nearly as easy. Sure m series chips are better. My M2 MBA runs circles around my Windows laptop while not even using a fan. But if you have to push the device the active cooled Intel processor will win in multi core by a lot on my Windows PC. Battery life is not as good on my Windows PC but it is not bad either. So I get the same or better performance than M chips with less battery life but I can still get enough battery life to get through a day mostly. My Windows Pc has a OLED screen at 120hz and it cost almost half the Mac.

All of my Samsung Android devices cost much less than any Apple alternative while giving me the same or better features and product. For example I paid $247 with trade in for my tab s9 with an OLED screen wile my iPad 5th gen air with 60hz Oled cost me $450 with a promotion. I can go on and on but the bottom line is I get better stuff for cheaper prices than Apple. Same applies to Windows laptops. Now only each person can determine whether or not the extra cost is worth it. In my opinion it can be depending on who you are.

If you are a person who just wants to use something and hates to fiddle with settings or configuration and want everything to just work then Apple is best. Don't even try to leave. You are not going to be happy in the end and will waste money. Unless you have a reason like cost, software only on Windows, etc, then stay with Apple!

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
The Apple ecosystem is great until you want to use one device that isn't an Apple product you are screwed.
Which ones were problematic for you? I ask because mice, monitors, external hard drives/SSD drives, quite a range of non-Apple products get along fine with an Apple system. It might be useful to know just what types of devices and problems you had issues with.

What I find interesting is people who say Windows doesn't last a long time. Are you serious.
In times past this was more of an issue. In recent times, microprocessors seem to provide more performance overhead. Another issue may be that makers aim for computers adept at handling video processing, for the subset of users who do such demanding work. Ditto PC gaming. But many computer users do little if any substantial video work, and very few code. Many aren't playing higher end games. For them, today's solid performer can probably still get the job done 5 years down the line.

All of my Samsung Android devices cost much less than any Apple alternative while giving me the same or better features and product.
Lower prices for higher spec.d hardware has long been a selling point for Windows PCs, just as a slicker, intuitive and simplified experience I call 'organic' (metaphorically of course) has been a selling point of the Mac.

When I think of people who strongly value Macs, while doubtless there are exceptions, I don't think of people apt to alter a Windows registry to disable Windows Telemetry or install Linux.

If you are a person who just wants to use something and hates to fiddle with settings or configuration and want everything to just work then Apple is best.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Which ones were problematic for you? I ask because mice, monitors, external hard drives/SSD drives, quite a range of non-Apple products get along fine with an Apple system. It might be useful to know just what types of devices and problems you had issues with.

In times past this was more of an issue. In recent times, microprocessors seem to provide more performance overhead. Another issue may be that makers aim for computers adept at handling video processing, for the subset of users who do such demanding work. Ditto PC gaming. But many computer users do little if any substantial video work, and very few code. Many aren't playing higher end games. For them, today's solid performer can probably still get the job done 5 years down the line.

Lower prices for higher spec.d hardware has long been a selling point for Windows PCs, just as a slicker, intuitive and simplified experience I call 'organic' (metaphorically of course) has been a selling point of the Mac.

When I think of people who strongly value Macs, while doubtless there are exceptions, I don't think of people apt to alter a Windows registry to disable Windows Telemetry or install Linux.
Try using an Android phone with a Mac or an iPad. Try to use your Mac or iPad with a Android phone and it will not work anything like your iPhone and will cripple your ability to communicate with friends and family on iPhones. It sucks and it is just because Apple wants to keep people locked in.

I agree, most people who use Macs have no idea how to use a terminal or su. Most people who use Windows have no idea how to edit a registry but they can search how to disable telemetry on Windows, follow the steps and they are good. If it feels too much they will simply stop but at least they have the option.

I do agree that a selling point of Macs and all Apple devices is polished software but Android and Windows are not that far behind and at the end of the day if both get the same task or job done it really doesn't matter all that much how much polish you have if it costs hundreds more to get it. For some it is worth it but others not so much.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
They moved me to a Windows laptop (Lenovo) last year, away from my trusted iMac 5K. It was a nightmare trying to adapt to Windows. Everyone is different but it was a year of trying to bend around the will of Windows rather then the OS letting me work how I want in terms of navigating and using the OS. I am back using a Mac again with my M1 Max and it is a big relief to be able to function effeciently again.

Part of this is I am a long time Mac user so I am just used to working on a Mac, others might be opposite. I do use Windows at home as well with a PC I built. The only thing that is used for though is gaming, I would not want to do anything serious on the computer despite its decent specs.

I find a Mac is much more like a Swiss Army knife, I can do so much more, and easier. When I look at the setup they do for printers and things on the network at work and then to connect to the same printer on my Mac is just see the printer on the network, add it and done. Then add the ease of running virtual machines which gives me even more options. Ultimately though it is personal, I don't think it is a simple this is better then that, I think it comes down to your own personal preferences and the way you like to work.

Reactions: drrich2 and John Fu

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
If so, could you share what you do to use Windows PCs? I switched to Mac after the Intel Mac release, I was using a lot of Windows apps

And thats the issue. This isn't the Intel days anymore and Apple Silicone support for third party apps is still a major issue.

I'll just throw a couple random examples.

1. Thinkorswim is probably the most popular stock trading platform out there and the Apple Silicone support was terrible and they didn't even package it with the correct java until a few months ago. Took them years to correct this. Prior to this the app on Apple Silicone was extremely slow(MUCH slower than the old Intel Macs)

2. Tableau Desktop is probably the most popular data visualization software out there and Sonoma has no support for it still which is hilarious because MacOS is almost always being used when Tableau does demos at conferences.

Add on that Windows ARM isn't the same as x86 Windows so while many things can work using ARM it's still not some guaranteed thing that you can just run Parallels and 'everything works' like it does on a native PC.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
My work laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2023 running Windows 11. Very capable machine and runs very well. Only downside is it has only 256 GB storage but as it runs Office 365 including OneDrive everthing is backed up to the cloud. Everything.

So nothing non-work related is stored on this. I can and do check my personal email but that's about it, oh and umm check and post on Macrumors. Not too much. :D

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
My work laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2023 running Windows 11. Very capable machine and runs very well. Only downside is it has only 256 GB storage but as it runs Office 365 including OneDrive everthing is backed up to the cloud. Everything.

So nothing non-work related is stored on this. I can and do check my personal email but that's about it, oh and umm check and post on Macrumors. Not too much. :D
No room for an NVM drive? I have a Lenovo Thinkpad at work, sits in a drawer all the time as I switched back to Mac. I was able to add a 2TB NVM drive on to it. The only thing I liked about the laptop was I could access RAM and HD.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
No room for an NVM drive? I have a Lenovo Thinkpad at work, sits in a drawer all the time as I switched back to Mac. I was able to add a 2TB NVM drive on to it. The only thing I liked about the laptop was I could access RAM and HD.
If it's Lenovo, it's a 50/50 these days. The T14 gen 3 at least has a single RAM and SSD hole in it.

The biggest pain with those is the terrible battery life and the fact it spits out burning hot air on your mouse hand.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
My work won't spring for a Macbook for me and cloud storage is fine for my work so I'm not bothered at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.