Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
NC Has some great craft breweries. I like Mother Earth in Kinston, Lonerider in Raleigh, and Aviator in Fuquay-Varina.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, great idea for a thread.

Personally, I rather like both, but, as I get older, I find that my marked preference is for quality rather than quantity; it also means that price is no longer a main consideration when buying wine or beer.

For this post, I'll confine myself to discussing beer; wine requires a lot more thought…….

That said, I am a big fan of the burgeoning craft beer movement, and will sample much of what they have to offer.

Belgian beers are wonderful; they are for slowly sipping and savouring, rich in flavour, and great with food and/or company. (Duvel, the Lambic beers, Hoegaarden, to name a few).

Other personal favourites include much (though not all) of the Innis & Gunn range, and also the Old Tom (Real Ale), and Harviestoun, both strong, dark ales, with lashings of flavour.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Headed out to eat some locally made pizza tonight and was wondering what beer should I try with it? And no Blue Ribbon Pabst recommends please :p.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Headed out to eat some locally made pizza tonight and was wondering what beer should I try with it? And no Blue Ribbon Pabst recommends please :p.

What about an Italian Perroni beer? With a pizza, a relatively light, but flavoursome good quality lager would be what I would suggest. Perhaps, a glass of Stella Artois, or the original Czech Budvar if Perroni is not possible?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wines.

I like wine, mostly Bas-Médoc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling wines from Rheinhessen.

But I love beer.

Being just a few kilometres from Belgium means I am never short of a few brews.

What has surprised me in the last decade is just how good American Craft Beer has become, such a vast change to how it was in the 1980’s.

La chouffe is one of my favorites and that is awesome. Belgium is one of the places I really really want to visit. The big reason is taste all the beer and visit some of the really old breweries!

----------

What about an Italian Perroni beer? With a pizza, a relatively light, but flavoursome good quality lager would be what I would suggest. Perhaps, a glass of Stella Artois, or the original Czech Budvar if Perroni is not possible?

I agree..... Italian Peroni if they have it is a good beer especially with pizza!

If you like your pizza spicy hot, I like to pair it with a good IPA also!

Last edited:

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014

Cool beans, I will check out your suggestions then :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Amen. Best pizza I ever had in my life. Also the simplest. Had Italian beer with it too. :p

Deceptively simple, but invariably delicious.

To achieve this is quite simple, really: It merely requires a serious food culture; which actually implies a respect for the ingredients - only the best are used - so one can then keep it simple but very tasty; a respect for tradition, and an acceptance that time is something to savour when cooking, and then, when eating. In essence, it means that the main focus is on the actual product, (taking pride in making a great pizza), rather than the profit…….

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Deceptively simple, but invariably delicious.

To achieve this is quite simple, really: It merely requires a serious food culture; which actually implies a respect for the ingredients - only the best are used - so one can then keep it simple but very tasty; a respect for tradition, and an acceptance that time is something to savour when cooking, and then, when eating. In essence, it means that the main focus is on the actual product, (taking pride in making a great pizza), rather than the profit…….

Much agreement with you there in fact. Wonderfully put.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Any recommendations of which wines to pair with salads?

I would argue that this depends firstly, on the time of year, secondly, on the type, and/or variety of salads to be served, and thirdly, on whatever the actual main course was. Roasts, or steaks, or casseroles, almost demand a robust red; fish can take a light red, or a white.

Thus, in winter, irrespective of salads, I tend to prefer red wine, which, for me, means rich, voluptuous wines, too. None of those thin, tannic things.

Summer is different; then, I will sample whites, or even a good chilled rose (which is actually very good with salads, and better still with salads served where sunshine is not unknown).

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I would argue that this depends firstly, on the time of year, secondly, on the type, and/or variety of salads to be served, and thirdly, on whatever the actual main course was. Roasts, or steaks, or casseroles, almost demand a robust red; fish can take a light red, or a white.

Thus, in winter, irrespective of salads, I tend to prefer red wine, which, for me, means rich, voluptuous wines, too. None of those thin, tannic things.

Summer is different; then, I will sample whites, or even a good chilled rose (which is actually very good with salads, and better still with salads served where sunshine is not unknown).

My question is does the dressing effect the choice of wine?

It would seem to me that a balsamic vinaigrette might be better with a wine different from that drunk with a creamy dressing.

Wondering your opinion...:)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My question is does the dressing effect the choice of wine?

It would seem to me that a balsamic vinaigrette might be better with a wine different from that drunk with a creamy dressing.

Wondering your opinion...:)

To me, the main course would be the key factor in determining what wine you consume with a meal.

However, if a meal is a variety of salads, including creamy-based sauces, and sturdy balsamic dressings, yes, my idea is that you can of course, drink a white wine, but it would need to be quite fruity, and relatively sturdy (instead of bland and insipid, and frankly, tasteless). Some of the Italian whites are excellent for this sort of dining.

Actually, increasingly, with the exception of the excellent, well made - and very good value - wines from the Languedoc region, and - needless to say - the outrageously expensive classics, I find myself choosing French wines less and less often.

Something like a Guwurtztraminer (Italian varietals go by the name of Traminer) works well with bacon based dishes (sausage, belly of pork, sauerkraut style dishes and other smoked meats), as well as a variety of salads, such as the cabbage based ones, or pasta based ones which often come with cream based dressings. It also works quite well with smoked fish dishes, as well as the more obvious salad greens.

Then, again, for a variety of salads, a nice, strong, robust, flavoursome beer or ale from a good microbrewery will also easily do justice to such a meal.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
German beers for me at home.

In the summer, mostly Bavarian Hefe Weizen (Wheat beer).
In the winter, Munich Lagers ("Helles" - best one is Augustiner Helles or Edelstoff), or German Pils (like Becks, Warsteiner, Kulmbacher etc...).

In US restaurants, my go-to beer is Blue Moon, or Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat (if I can get it). Sam Adams is a good second choice.

On international travel, I mostly stick to Becks, Heineken, Stella or Amstel.

If I'm in the mood for soft drinks, I'll get a Coke, rather than an American Light beer.

-t

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Drank a light Heifweizen during a LAN party this weekend from Squatters microbrewery. Very refreshing.

But I should have not eaten 8 pieces of Lil Ceasar's Deep Dish pizza LOL.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Drank a light Heifweizen during a LAN party this weekend from Squatters microbrewery. Very refreshing.

But I should have not eaten 8 pieces of Lil Ceasar's Deep Dish pizza LOL.

Try a Bavarian original, they are way better than most US Hefeweizen.

The best US Hefeweizen I came across is from Trader Joe's.
Their "Trader Joe's Bavarian Style Hefeweizen" (brewed by Josephsbrau) are in general pretty awesome for US brewn beers.
Most of them come pretty close to the German "original" style.
TJ beers are a fantastic bargain.

-t

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Try a Bavarian original, they are way better than most US Hefeweizen.

The best US Hefeweizen I came across is from Trader Joe's.
Their "Trader Joe's Bavarian Style Hefeweizen" (brewed by Josephsbrau) are in general pretty awesome for US brewn beers.
Most of them come pretty close to the German "original" style.
TJ beers are a fantastic bargain.

-t

Due to our state laws, our Trader Joe's isn't allowed to sell alcohol outside of the official state liquor store. But is there any other recommendation you could provide me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.