Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

If not the right, or best, Forum to Post this to, please do let me know. (iMac 2021, 24 inch)
Tried a previous Forum, but realize now that I wasn't too clear re what I want to do.

Using a św radio, with lots of foreign broadcasts coming thru.
Would like, if possible, to have Google Translate translate them in real time to English text. Doable ?

I can use the radio speaker and have the audio voice picked up by the iMac built in Mic. Works (I think).

But, would much rather use the audio from the radio's Speaker Output jack and hard wire it to one of the iMac Ports.

Is this possible ? It should be, I think ? If so, which Port ?

I don't think so, but might I need a analog-to-digital converter ?

If anyone who is sharp with this "stuff", would be most appreciative if they could guide me a bit in doing.

Thanks, most appreciative,
Bob

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Recent iMacs don't have any kind of line-input sockets, so yes you would need an audio interface.
Beyond that I can't help because I didn't even know the technology existed to translate spoken audio on the fly.
So I don't know how you would tell that technology to 'listen' to the line-input on your audio interface.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for interest.

But, it is possible, I think, to use an external Mic.

So, my "setup" would also be able to use this
input, wouldn't it ?

What, and equally important, where, is the input to be able to use an external Mic for an iMac (2021) ?
Any caveats to using one ?

Thanks,
Bob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.