Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I think I would like it, I would be able to make IOS 9 look the way I want it to look. Spotify being my main music player, and being one who hates their icon, changing it would be lovely.

I know Android has this feature, question is would it be welcome on IOS? While I think it's a good idea, I don't think many others would approve simply for the fact that their screen could start to look very messy and even less cohesive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple isn't about giving users choice as much as giving what they believe they need, that being the case, I don't see Apple allowing users the ability to change the icons.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't have a problem with it. MyFitnessPal adding the lame logo to the side the other day REALLY annoyed me! That would be the first thing to go given the choice. I set up my home screen so perfect the other week, and BAM, they went and did that to me. :mad:

If only they supported URL schemes so I'd have an excuse to stick it in a folder, heh. :p

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I doubt Apple would allow it on their own apps but it would be cool if they made it an API for other developers to use.

It would work like sports teams home and away colors. Just two choices with a switch. Like, Netflix could offer the red-on-white icon and also a white-on-red. (Forget about an "upload anything" system. Never in a million years.)

As long as the choice stays in-app and Apple's pristine system preferences aren't cluttered up then I could see Apple being ok with that.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I just got to thinking, what if Apple made all of the apps circles like they did on the Apple Watch? I know they're two different operating systems, but with the flat theme look going towards circles for all images, I don't see this as too far off of a possibility.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
A simple solution would be fine. Apple could offer a menu in the Setting App, where you can pick the ugly app, choose a predefined iOS matching color background or a matching symbol. To avoid confusion: Your are unable to use the same generic icon twice, so every changed icon is unique.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.