Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you buy the iSlate?

• WITH a data contract and lower, subsidized price.

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • WITHOUT a data contract at the unsubsidized full price.

Votes: 82 90.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
Lets say that Apple gives us the option to buy iSlate with a data contract and lower, subsidized price, or without a data contract and subsidy for a higher full price. Which would you choose?

Myself, I don't want another data bill in addition to my iPhone, so I would buy it at full price and just use it with WIFI mostly at home! I think most people feel the same as me from what I am seeing. I know we don't know prices yet, but I want an idea of how people are thinking, so lets find out! :)

Those that don't want to buy it should not participate in this poll.

Thanks all!
:apple:

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Full price, no way I'll want two wireless bills (iPhone included), especially on two different companies. Too bad Apple wouldn't do something like the Kindle with having free wireless networking via Sprints Rev-A.

I can understand why they don't though, because data would be way more intensive than how much the Kindle uses.

Larpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
There are two deal killers for me, one is if you have to have a contract to buy this thing and two if it cost too much, 999 I can get a macbook!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
Full price, no way I'll want two wireless bills (iPhone included), especially on two different companies. Too bad Apple wouldn't do something like the Kindle with having free wireless networking via Sprints Rev-A.

I can understand why they don't though, because data would be way more intensive than how much the Kindle uses.

Ya lol, about 1,000 X as much data! :eek: That would NEVER happen! But it would be sweet haha.

Oops forgot that. What would be your price ceiling?

I haven't decided for sure yet. I will have to see it and what it does first. But probably $799.

So far it is looking like my hunch was dead on! People want NO CONTRACT and REASONABLY AFFORDABLE!

Jimmyz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
If I can get a month by month data plan from AT&T, then no contract. If I have to get a data contract, then I may get it with contract, unless I can get a 12 month data contract with AT&T, whereas to get the ipad at the contract price I would have to get a 24 month contract, then I would probably get it without contract.

Jimmyz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
If I can get a month by month data plan from AT&T, then no contract. If I have to get a data contract, then I may get it with contract, unless I can get a 12 month data contract with AT&T, whereas to get the ipad at the contract price I would have to get a 24 month contract, then I would probably get it without contract.

Just called AT&T, and they said they don't have a month to month data plan, and that the min contract length is 24 months, so I might as well buy the iPad with a contract.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Depends, if it's just a giant iPhone no thanks to either contract or no contract. If it has laptop functionality, as in I can install whatever OSX software I want on it, the count me in on buying it with no contract.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Depends on what the pricing is. Given the fact that contract prices are alot cheaper over here in the uk. You can get data only packages for £20 a month so over 18 months it's gonna be 360 total. Can't see any network knocking that off the price so I'll go with the non-contract version. Then I'll slap in a nice o2 unlimited web payg chip and away I go.

That said I'll be waiting till may before I purchase anyway so everyone else can iron out the bugs.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
I think it depends on how much of a discount is offered.

For instance if it's $1000 for the contract free tablet & $600 for the contracted tablet, then that's a difference of $400. Which equates to about 11 months of data plan ($35/month). So if you go with the contracted price your essentially getting 2 years of mobile internet for $455, instead of $840.

So for 2 years of ownership it will cost you $1840 for a no contract tablet with AT&T, or $1455 with a contract.

Personally, I'd just go data free & buy it without a contract. $1455, even with 2 years of mobile data, is too rich for my blood. The only time I really even use the mobile data on my iPhone is when I'm walking down the street, and I don't see myself walking and tableting. I'd rather put that $455 aside for the next tablet, or you know electricity, food or shelter.

Inked

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Buckinghamshire, UK
I'll happilly pay $1000 (which will probably end up at more like £800 to £900 in the UK) unsubsidised as i'm not interested in taking it out and about with me so no need for a data plan. For me to replace my old white macbook with it (and thus pass my unibody on to the wife) It would need to be able to run iWork.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
As I see myself using such a device at work and home (where I have wifi) and I already have an iPhone with AT&T, unless there is some multi-device discount, full price for me.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
It seems that my assumption is very accurate! We will see what happens with this poll after tomorrow, but I am confident these two polled options will be announced! At least tomorrow we will get prices. I think I will tell MacRumors to take a look at this poll we have because it is pretty staggering even with low numbers!

Lancelot9201

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Don't Need An iPhone XL

Well, I lost interest if this tablet does come with some form of the iphone software & not at least a lite version of Snow Leopard. I don't need another device with the iphone software. What's worse is I bet this doesn't even come with a dvd drive, how could it if it has any version of the iphone OS. I'm sure not a buyer at any price over $399 to $499, which is what a nice 10" netbook sells for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.