Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Hey all,

I was wondering if Apple tend to release the iOS6 BETA for developers on the day of the event/unveiling?

Thanks,

JordanJ

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Australia
From what I remember, Apple gets a wealth of applause when it announces "you will all get a developer preview TODAY".

It would make sense for developers to get a preview the day of the keynote so apple engineers can work with them on their code and new iOS 6 features.

I wouldn't expect a public release of ios 6 until later in the year when the new iPhone comes out (September / October??) likewise I wouldn't expect a mountain lion release tomorrow as there are still versions such as the golden master that havnt been released yet.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
how much is a dev subscription?

$99/year, but I advise against getting one just to play with betas. They will have features that don't work, and may prevent you from using your phone. (I think there was one beta in the past that had a bug preventing you from making phone calls.)

Any sensible developer knows not to install betas on their primary device — if it breaks, you're stuck, since you can't officially downgrade back to the latest stable release. My company keeps a small stack of test devices that we can try beta stuff on, while our main phones stay on the latest stable release.

If you do go ahead with it, make sure you don't go asking things like "How do I downgrade?" or "My X isn't working, can anyone help?". Nobody on the dev forums will be sympathetic!

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
$99/year, but I advise against getting one just to play with betas. They will have features that don't work, and may prevent you from using your phone. (I think there was one beta in the past that had a bug preventing you from making phone calls.)[...]

Yes, I definitely agree with this. I got a subscription last year to use the iOS 5 betas (in part because I *hated* the old notifications system) and many releases had a lot of issues.

iOS 6 would have to have some very tempting features for me to want the betas again. I can't really afford the dev membership right now, though! :p

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
$99/year, but I advise against getting one just to play with betas. They will have features that don't work, and may prevent you from using your phone. (I think there was one beta in the past that had a bug preventing you from making phone calls.)

Any sensible developer knows not to install betas on their primary device — if it breaks, you're stuck, since you can't officially downgrade back to the latest stable release. My company keeps a small stack of test devices that we can try beta stuff on, while our main phones stay on the latest stable release.

If you do go ahead with it, make sure you don't go asking things like "How do I downgrade?" or "My X isn't working, can anyone help?". Nobody on the dev forums will be sympathetic!

No id totally have it on a second phone....... id like to get into a bit of dev, but i just dont know where to begin.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
No id totally have it on a second phone....... id like to get into a bit of dev, but i just dont know where to begin.

Ah -- in that case, check out https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/.

You don't need to join the paid developer program in order to start developing: you can get a free account to do that (which allows you to download Xcode, read the documentation, etc). However, you do need to pay before you can:

• Have access to iOS betas
  • Run your own apps on your own device (the free account just lets you run it in the iPhone simulator)
  • Submit anything to the App Store
  • Access the developer forums

Check out the Programming forums here if you want some info on how to get started learning Objective-C: there are sticky threads with links to books and stuff.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
If you have a background in programming, Apples documentation is pretty great. And for beginners there are these two really great introductions:
http://developer.apple.com/library/...ptual/iPhone101/Articles/00_Introduction.html
http://developer.apple.com/library/...ted/RoadMapiOS/Introduction/Introduction.html

No background apart from computer science A-level (delphi and pascal), in which I got a U.

----------

Ah -- in that case, check out https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/.

You don't need to join the paid developer program in order to start developing: you can get a free account to do that (which allows you to download Xcode, read the documentation, etc). However, you do need to pay before you can:

• Have access to iOS betas
  • Run your own apps on your own device (the free account just lets you run it in the iPhone simulator)
  • Submit anything to the App Store
  • Access the developer forums

Check out the Programming forums here if you want some info on how to get started learning Objective-C: there are sticky threads with links to books and stuff.

Amazeballs. Great info, thanks a lot!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.