Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
I have a Xserve 1,1 that I have been tinkering with. I bought a couple of sticks of ram and a pair of quad core processors. I managed to get El Capitan booted but the video is painfully slow. Any idea as to the best card that will run? I have a Radeon X1300 256mb installed in one of the PCIe, no help.
Thanks.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
It's not a PowerPC, refer to Mac Pro subforum and work it from there, a vast amount of Nvidia and AMD cards work with this hardware, it's more or less a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
It's not a PowerPC, refer to Mac Pro subforum and work it from there, a vast amount of Nvidia and AMD cards work with this hardware, it's more or less a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1.
Once removed rule, there has been activity on early Intel here as well.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Not quite right - have you tried asking an early Intel related question in one of the other forums? Don't do it."Buy a new Mac", "Why bother with something so old", "go to classic mac forum", "Install the newest OS and all will be fine". Officially this is the PPC forum, but many of us here have early Intels too and are willing to help with our experience ;)
Once removed rule, there has been activity on early Intel here as well.
Correct

Reactions: AphoticD

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
I have a GT120 (from a Mac Pro) in my 2008 Xserve 2,1 which works well for running up to/including High Sierra, however I doubt that would work in the 2006 1,1 given that I don't think it works in the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1. Unfortunately the other cards from Mac Pros don't fit in the Xserve given that only a single-height card will fit...

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Not quite right - have you tried asking an early Intel related question in one of the other forums? Don't do it."Buy a new Mac", "Why bother with something so old", "go to classic mac forum", "Install the newest OS and all will be fine". Officially this is the PPC forum, but many of us here have early Intels too and are willing to help with our experience ;)

Correct

I’ll vote for a name change: “PowerPC and Early Intel”

“Obsolete” is a bit of a rough term and “Vintage” already has a forum.

In reality, this forum has covered topics from 68k through to Intel. It’s mostly just a welcoming place for older Mac hardware and software discussions that you won’t find in the relevant iMac, Mac mini, MacBook/MBP and Mac Pro forums.

If I have any early Intel questions, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask here before going over to other sections where it’ll be either ignored or criticized.
[doublepost=1517660289][/doublepost]
I have a GT120 (from a Mac Pro) in my 2008 Xserve 2,1 which works well for running up to/including High Sierra, however I doubt that would work in the 2006 1,1 given that I don't think it works in the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1. Unfortunately the other cards from Mac Pros don't fit in the Xserve given that only a single-height card will fit...

After a little digging around it looks like there was a 32bit EFI version of the GT120 which would operate in the MP1,1 , 2,1 and the Xserve 1,1. Apparently you can still order them from MacVidCards, but I haven’t had any dealings with that business, so I can’t make any recommendations. I would try hunting around for a method to flash a stock standard 64-bit card, but that might be a dead end if nobody has released a ROM for it.

EDIT: Or maybe they have sold out...

Last edited:
Reactions: amagichnich

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I’ll vote for a name change: “PowerPC and Early Intel”

“Obsolete” is a bit of a rough term and “Vintage” already has a forum.

In reality, this forum has covered topics from 68k through to Intel. It’s mostly just a welcoming place for older Mac hardware and software discussions that you won’t find in the relevant iMac, Mac mini, MacBook/MBP and Mac Pro forums.

If I have any early Intel questions, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask here before going over to other sections where it’ll be either ignored or criticized.
Thumbs up

But... If we are to call it "PPC and early intel" or "Old macs" than I bet many folks with their 2012 "obsolete" MBPs will come here too. Had one of them at work recently, asked me to help him with his old and slow MBP because "you have old macs too". "Can you do something? I think it's obsolete already" :mad::eek::confused: (my face)

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Thumbs up

But... If we are to call it "PPC and early intel" or "Old macs" than I bet many folks with their 2012 "obsolete" MBPs will come here too. Had one of them at work recently, asked me to help him with his old and slow MBP because "you have old macs too". "Can you do something? I think it's obsolete already" :mad::eek::confused: (my face)

Yes, even those poor slow Ivy Bridge i7’s can hardly crunch FaceBook, instagram and Youtube simultaneously when their 128GB SSDs fill up to zero K available.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
This is a processor thing, not an age thing.
A 1,1 Xserve is based on a totally different and incompatible architecture, though since it is very related to an early Mac Pro, it belongs there and not here. There are simply no questions relevant to both architectures (PowerPC / Early Intel) so this forum would be a mess.
Not quite right - have you tried asking an early Intel related question in one of the other forums? Don't do it.
Well, I'm quite sure a thread with over a 1M views regarding El Capitan on the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 has a very good place in the Mac Pro forums and I have not noticed any "buy a new Mac" there. I believe it's a matter of attitude and asking the right questions in the right places.

That said - the OP should refer to any "early Mac Pro video adapter" thread he might find in the Mac Pro section. The answers are right there.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
A 1,1 Xserve is based on a totally different and incompatible architecture, though since it is very related to an early Mac Pro, it belongs there and not here. There are simply no questions relevant to both architectures (PowerPC / Early Intel) so this forum would be a mess.

Well, I'm quite sure a thread with over a 1M views regarding El Capitan on the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 has a very good place in the Mac Pro forums and I have not noticed any "buy a new Mac" there. I believe it's a matter of attitude and asking the right questions in the right places.

That said - the OP should refer to any "early Mac Pro video adapter" thread he might find in the Mac Pro section. The answers are right there.
Yes, that thread has many posts, I can see that. But clearly that's the exception. Early macbook? CoreDuo iMacs? No chance ;)

Of course an Intel is not a PPC, beware :D but many of us PPC owners have an early Intel and therefore know much more about these machines and how to tweak them than the folks in the modern Macs forums who have 2013 upwards Macs, even though the cpu architecture is completely different

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016

I would have agreed, had I not seen so many threads in the Intel forums were someone with an older MacBook or iMac got tons of useless replies with "It's obsolete/old/crap/etc, buy a new one". That's specifically why sometimes people come in here with Early Intel questions. And guess what? So far this forum isn't a mess! :eek: :D

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Yeah, this is one of the cleaner MR forums. The only other community that's so accepting of older hardware for everyday use is the Mac Pro one, and that's probably only because of the EFI mods. Lots of other places, anything with a Core 2 Duo or earlier is marked as 'completely obsolete". It's nice to have a place to come where people are willing to help with almost any older mac. :)

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I have a Xserve 1,1 that I have been tinkering with. I bought a couple of sticks of ram and a pair of quad core processors. I managed to get El Capitan booted but the video is painfully slow. Any idea as to the best card that will run? I have a Radeon X1300 256mb installed in one of the PCIe, no help.
Thanks.

Xserve1,1s fun macs those I got one for £35 off ebay once :)

in terms of video cards being that it is an EFI32 machine which does limit your options a bit. (it dosent help that the Xserve1,1 has a particularly buggy and difficult to work with EFI/BootROM)

I would recommend picking up an ATI Radeon 2600 XT from a Mac Pro 3,1. it like most ATI PCIe Mac cards have an EBC firmware which means they work with both EFI32 and EFI64 machines, which means it should be compatible with the Xserve1,1 and will work nicely in Leopard to high sierra even (although you cant run high sierra on an Xserve1,1 sadly) and give you full boot screens

I would avoid PC Video cards in the XS1,1 even if they work in Mac Pros with no boot screens, I have found with my Xserve1,1 at least, they just end up kernel Panicing OS X when it configures all the PCI devices.

interestingly enough tho, I do have a GT 120 from my Mac Pro 4,1 and although its an EFI64 card so it just acts like a PC card and has no boot screens it will happily auto int in 10.11.6 in the Xserve instead of causing a kernel panic like all the other cards I have tried which dont have a compatible EFI32/EBC firmware.

hope this helps :)

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
The only other community that's so accepting of older hardware for everyday use is the Mac Pro one
Probably because even if you order a Mac Pro from Apple you are getting old hardware :p (plus even the 1,1 is still completely useable today)

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Yeah, it's pretty amazing what a 1,1 or 2,1 can still do. Mine is my main computer and it does everything I need. Upgrades are really cheap as well.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I have a mp 1,1 running elcap. With the stock GPU (7300gt iirc) it ran terribly sluggish, menu artifacts etc. and forget about launchpad - OMG. Anyhoo, I had a 1gb GeForce gt 240 laying around from an ancient gaming build & with advice from one of the nerdiest Pizza eaters (think Revenge of the nerds meets English busses) & subsequent Ppc/Apple wizard kid I know, I stuck that in the 1,1 & now get excellent accelerated graphics -albeit no boot screen.

I can live w/o a bootscreen, so if you want a cheap fix & can do without a boot screen, you could try a gt 240 with the caveat I’m talking about my mp & not a Xserve (don’t own one) but from the posts above from folks who probably know more than I, they seem to allude to your xserve & mp1,1s as homogenous - relatively speaking.

Anyhow, at $15-25shipped On eBay, it could be a cheap fix for your elcap Xserve.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Mine runs an 8800GT, I thought it was probably the cheapest decent elcap option, since I like my boot screens. I didn't even try with the stock one, since people said it wasn't usable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.