Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2021
UK
I’m trying to get into a TV+ show but none of them seem to pull me in enough to even start pilot episodes of them. Can anyone recommend their favourite TV+ show so far for me (and maybe others reading this!) to give a try?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m trying to get into a TV+ show but none of them seem to pull me in enough to even start pilot episodes of them. Can anyone recommend their favourite TV+ show so far for me (and maybe others reading this!) to give a try?
Favorites:
Ted Lasso
Tehran
Home Before Dark
Defending Jacob
Trying

Others:
The Morning Show
Dickinson
Mythic Quest

Last edited:
Reactions: NARadyk

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Loved Dickinson and Calls, but I will be honest...nothing I have tried on Apple TV has been bad. Calls was a really haunting and different experience. I am normally the type that multi-tasks a show while doing something else, but Calls was the first thing in years that demanded my full attention.

They really seem to be going for quantity over quality. The library is still very small, I can easily keep up with everything on the service, but almost every single show I have watched has been stellar. 1971 is maybe the only miss for me, and that is purely on my musical taste.

I haven't delved into their movie selection too much, I almost never watch movies, but with how good their shows are I may try it out.

I actually cancelled Netflix because, while they have a huge library, it is mostly not very good comparatively. Haven't missed it yet.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Given that there is so little on Apple TV+, you could literally watch everything they have in less than a month... normal binge-style watching that is.

Since their description and often times content don't mesh, it's probably a good idea to just try each one and see if it grabs your attention.

There are a few shows that people watch purely because the subscription is free... that if they had to outright sub to watch it, they'd probably skip it until a couple of seasons have racked up.

That's really the big issue with Apple TV+, the length of the seasons are really short and the subsequent seasons are far apart... so if you're all in to Ted Lasso for example, you could literally sub for one month then skip 6 months to a year before you would need to sub again... and that's watching as the episodes get released.

It's one thing if they have 8 years worth of a show on their service... but when they only have 6 episodes total... well it's a pretty sad service. Disney+ and Netflix and Hulu for example may have exactly the same amount of first run content to share with you, but they also have a back catalog of older content to keep you entertained between the down time. With Apple TV+, it's mostly down time with very little else.

Reactions: ackmondual

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
They really seem to be going for quantity over quality.

It’s the other way around ;)
They are going for quality over quantity.

My favourite shows:
See
Dickinson
Ted Lasso (and I don’t like anything sports related)
Mythic Quest

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Ted Lasso, hand’s down. I’ve watched most of the others but it’s season 2 of Ted Lasso I look forward to the most.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Ted Lasso
Watched season 1 of a bunch but not that interested in season 2 other than Ted

JSteele

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
Mythic Quest, Mosquito Coast and Ted Lasso were the 3 I've gotten into. My sister loved Central Park.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020

Really? You can't just sit down and watch a show? You'd have be a rock to have not seen the HUGE amount of praise Ted Lasso has gotten. Can't waitch a 30 minute episode?

Incredible.

Reactions: stephenschimpf

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2021
All the shows I've seen ranked:
  1. Defending Jacob
  2. Mosquito Coast
  3. Servant
  4. Teheran
I have high hopes that Foundation will take the top spot.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Having recently received a free one year subscription, I just watched the first season of Ted Lasso over the past two days, 5 episodes a day. Much better than I expected. Looking forward to season 2.

This week I also watched the 8 episodes of 1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything. Very enjoyable for those interested in the music and social changes of that era.

The Beastie Boys documentary will be up next I think.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
See
Little America
Mariah Carey’s Christmas special
Oprah Winfrey’s book club:
interview with Mariah Carey, Barack Obama and Isobel Wilkerson.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.