Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
Even if an app name is revealed, how does that prove anything? One would have to show download numbers (and probably revenue). Something they might not be willing to expose.

I'm sure most of us here just wants to know the name, we don't care about the download numbers because at this point the person is pulling something from the cloud, saying he has an "app". For all we know with no proof, it is just a figment of his imagination.

Merax

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Some of the earlier posters are correct - most apps have hardly any sales (so the median income is near zero), but the ones that do well often do really really well so the average isn't too bad.

As someone else noted, part of the problem is that many apps are bad, but another issue is that it is difficult to be discovered among 325k others. The top apps get a spotlight on the "Top x" lists, which creates a positive feedback loop for them. If your app isn't on one of Apple's lists, it's unlikely anyone will find it just by browsing.

We were fortunate enough to be featured on the "New and Noteworthy" list shortly after release, and we had good sales while that lasted, but now it's down to a sale every other day or so.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
What exactly would be proven (that isn't known already) by him naming his app?

Consider some facts: Apple paid $5 Billion.

Conclusion: SOMEONE made a few bucks.

One developers claim to have made X dollars, doesn't detract from the primary point. ... If it wasn't him, it was someone. What possible difference would it make if it was him/me/you, or someone else?

The point still remains, the math is still the same.

Several great points have been raised: there is a glut of trash apps out there.

I just read about a lawsuit concerning the use of the phrase "Pull My Finger" and it applies to apps...
This is similar to the DotCom bubble, some made it big, some didn't, but there was a bunch of garbage/spam/scams out there.

Example: I just downloaded two free video related apps. 1 required IAP to do anything beyond very basic recording, the other required location services before it would record.
Both were deleted and are a waste of space on the App Store. A 'free' app should offer something of basic value without requiring an IAP.

The bottom line is that a bunch of amateur developers are spamming, and they not only deserve to make nothing, they should be removed from the App Store.

Apple is stuck with a problem: What do they do with all the TRASH they have attracted? It's a distraction to buyers looking for quality apps, it causes problem for REAL developers trying to get noticed in the sea of trash.

@softwareguy256, let's reverse the question: you name your app(s)... maybe then we'll see why you seem disappointed in the money they're pulling in.

BTW, I think the study cited showing 80% sharing 3% was for games, can anyone confirm that?

HemiMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
most of the apps on the app store are pure junk. I wouldn't even trust running them on my computer. The 30% cut that Apple gets is ludicrous from any business metric. Tack on another 15-20% in taxes and you get about 56% of what you sell. You will need to sell a lot of 2.99 apps to pay the rent for a year with these numbers. there are better ways to make money.

I have a feeling you are trolling, but please, define "any business metric". Most retailers take a 50% cut. Publishers and distributers also take a large cut. If you put your software onto GameStop shelves, you'll be lucky if you make 15% of the sale price. By that metric, I'd call 70% pretty nice. That is exactly why musicians and authors love digital sales so much. 70% is far more than they are used to getting.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple is stuck with a problem: What do they do with all the TRASH they have attracted? It's a distraction to buyers looking for quality apps, it causes problem for REAL developers trying to get noticed in the sea of trash.

One problem is that Apple advertises the number of apps in their App store as a competitive advantage. As long as other app stores tout X 100k apps, Apple may wish to publicize an equivalent magnitude or even greater number.

Another problem is that with such a deep "long tail" library, ones customers pure useless trash may well be another customer's gold. There are apps below the median in popularity ranking that fulfill unique specialty needs and get a tiny number of downloads plus glowing reviews from satisfied customers (which I know personally as both a customer and developer of a few such apps, though they may be financial failures for the developer if developed with a profit motive).

softwareguy256

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I know that most people see this as their way out of poverty and therefore when I say otherwise I will be disliked. But the statistical odds of failure are very much on my side and the fact is no one here has shown so far that they make more money in apps than even a Mcdonalds worker. Save your breath, show success and stop talking so much.

I have a feeling you are trolling, but please, define "any business metric". Most retailers take a 50% cut. Publishers and distributers also take a large cut. If you put your software onto GameStop shelves, you'll be lucky if you make 15% of the sale price. By that metric, I'd call 70% pretty nice. That is exactly why musicians and authors love digital sales so much. 70% is far more than they are used to getting.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
But the statistical odds of failure are very much on my side and the fact is no one here has shown so far that they make more money in apps than even a Mcdonalds worker.

While it is true that only a minority of developers make more than minimum wage per annum from any app, it is also true that most small developers who do, don't like publicizing their income numbers (as it can be a lot more than minimum wage). But a google search will turn up several who have posted download counts for their paid apps.

One way to consider app development is as a form of gambling. The odds against winning may be a bit worse than playing roulette. But the payoff may be inversely much better. Enough better to make it a smart gamble to place your bet?

You can do your own research.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Interesting discussion here guys.

I have just started app development. However, not to make money really. I know unless I make a really unique and 'cool' app, I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon.

However, I have two goals in mind where I think it differs to some developers.

1. To either start my own App development company here in SA (Where the market is still new)

2. Get hired as an app developer for a company.

And the last reason - I just want to make something cool on an iOS device. :cool:

If you're only doing it to try get cash - you're probably not going to go too far.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Interesting discussion here guys.

I have just started app development. However, not to make money really. I know unless I make a really unique and 'cool' app, I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon.

However, I have two goals in mind where I think it differs to some developers.

1. To either start my own App development company here in SA (Where the market is still new)

2. Get hired as an app developer for a company.

And the last reason - I just want to make something cool on an iOS device. :cool:

If you're only doing it to try get cash - you're probably not going to go too far.
One thing that I've noticed on iOS job postings... they want to SEE your app. It's almost become the method of proof for developers. Actually, I think the idea of 'show me your app' is great. You can write (or have someone write for you) the best resume, and NOT be able to code a simple 'pull my finger app'

Showing a potential employer what you can do, is close to proof positive for them, and clears the BSers.

Second point:
you're only doing it to try get cash - you're probably not going to go too far.
There is nothing wrong with trying to get cash, many are trying to do exactly that. The problem is they are selling a crApp app and not taking the time to research and develop something better.

Discussion like this one, can help to clear the air about the 'gold rush' and maybe some will realize that it's not as easy money as they think it is. Remember, Mag built a quality flashlight in a flooded market, they stuck to their game plan and made great money. Some got rich during the Great Depression.
Point: Wanting to make money and the ability to make money is fine, it's there and will be for a long while, it's the "why is my finger pull app not making me rich" part that needs to be worked on.

The bursting of the DotCom bubble didn't ruin the Internet for everyone, it just flushed out most of the 'me too' sites.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
One thing that I've noticed on iOS job postings... they want to SEE your app. It's almost become the method of proof for developers. Actually, I think the idea of 'show me your app' is great. You can write (or have someone write for you) the best resume, and NOT be able to code a simple 'pull my finger app'

Showing a potential employer what you can do, is close to proof positive for them, and clears the BSers.

Second point:
There is nothing wrong with trying to get cash, many are trying to do exactly that. The problem is they are selling a crApp app and not taking the time to research and develop something better.

Discussion like this one, can help to clear the air about the 'gold rush' and maybe some will realize that it's not as easy money as they think it is. Remember, Mag built a quality flashlight in a flooded market, they stuck to their game plan and made great money. Some got rich during the Great Depression.
Point: Wanting to make money and the ability to make money is fine, it's there and will be for a long while, it's the "why is my finger pull app not making me rich" part that needs to be worked on.

The bursting of the DotCom bubble didn't ruin the Internet for everyone, it just flushed out most of the 'me too' sites.

You make some very valid points and I have taken something away from your post, which I believe will help me in my future app development endeavors.

We can take a look at the company we're making apps for, Apple. In 2007 the market was flooded with different cell phones, all doing pretty much the same thing. But, Apple came out with a phone that changed the way we all think about phones.

Today, the iPhone is one of their most profitable products. So good intact, their competitors have tried to copy it too.

R.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
One thing that I've noticed on iOS job postings... they want to SEE your app.

Very true and valid point, money wise. I know several iOS developers who achieved far greater income from job and consulting offers that directly resulted from having a quality app in the App store, than from selling any apps on their own.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Very true and valid point, money wise. I know several iOS developers who achieved far greater income from job and consulting offers that directly resulted from having a quality app in the App store, than from selling any apps on their own.
This is actually a very good thing, I've seen many people BS their way into a job. It's about time we got some real proof instead of just smooth talk.

LEARN2MAKE

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Save your breath, show success and stop talking so much.

How is this for success:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/t...ft-during-downtime.html?_r=1&ref=personaltech

They just picked it up one of my apps out of the blue, which was a nice surprise!

The iOS Dollar Origami+ app in the article is one of my apps. And yes I do make much more than a McDonald's worker. I don't feel the need to share exact numbers though. I don't know why you have such a big problem with the fact that some people (myself included) are making a living from mobile apps. I will not post or send my sales reports, tax returns or anything else, sorry...

The NYTimes article did boost sales a bit over the weekend, but even without it that app does make consistent money. It is a quality unique app. Check out the free version if you don't want to pay a dollar.

Just because you failed to make any money on the app store does not mean that it can't be done. You should stop disparaging anyone who doesn't agree with you, it is getting old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.