Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferelwilldems

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2021
I just received a revised trade in offer for my iPhone 12 Pro Max I traded in (in excellent condition, no cracks or issues). They are saying that they don’t want to give me any money, and the reason listed is “Multiple cracks/shattered display, cracked Chin Plate”. First of all, my phone wasn’t cracked at all, but secondly, I don’t even know what the Chin Plate is, can anyone help me figure out what that means?

Polinsky

Suspended
Oct 7, 2023
I just received a revised trade in offer for my iPhone 12 Pro Max I traded in (in excellent condition, no cracks or issues). They are saying that they don’t want to give me any money, and the reason listed is “Multiple cracks/shattered display, cracked Chin Plate”. First of all, my phone wasn’t cracked at all, but secondly, I don’t even know what the Chin Plate is, can anyone help me figure out what that means?
Where was the trade in offer from?

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
This is why I always take pictures and video of the device I trade in... That way there's proof should a situation like this happen. Luckily I haven't had the issue with Apple Trade ins directly or through their partner, but have with other services like Gazelle.

NeoSe7en

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2017
I’m interested to know if OP did their trade via Apple. I ended up putting in some extra bubble wrap with my trade in this year since the box they sent looked like it provided no protection.

Reactions: Ferelwilldems

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’d say always do in-person trade in. Delivery don’t care about your package at all.
The risk of damage during transit is just far too high to be worth the initial time saving, unless it is physically impossible for in-person trade in.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Sorry, not buying it.

Of course, there’s the usual giveaway: a newbie poster with a disaster story. And no follow-up as of yet.

But … DuckDuckGo has exactly one relevant hit for “iphone chin plate,” and it’s this very thread.

This claim of yours is extraordinary, and you provide us with no evidence whatsoever. If you wish to be taken seriously here, your first step should be to provide evidence as extraordinary as your claim.

At a bare minimum, please provide an actual copy of the report that “they” provided you with — not just your summary / interpretation.

b&

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I was worried about this because T-Mobile refused to take my trade in in store and forced me to mail it in, but the other day I got a text stating that my trade in value was approved. No idea what a chin plate is.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I returned my ATT 36 month mail only trade in deal and accepted 450 for my 12PM from BestBuy. I had a micro scratch on the screen and the website told me that my phone was valued at 130. I trust phone providers a bit less than I would a criminal- I could’ve gotten more but just couldn’t stand another round of phone company drama. I’ve been overcharged, enrolled in programs I’ve never selected, had my discounts repeatedly dropped and also lied to about upgrading within the last few years. Apple should start competing with the big phone companies and offer internet and phone service.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I've been trading in iPhones to Decluttr almost every year for the past 3-4 years, and I've only had one bad experience. When I tried to trade in my wife's pristine iPhone 11 Pro to get her an iPhone 12, they rejected it due to the camera failing their test. When I got it back, I had Apple take a look, and they said everything was fine. I ended up selling it on Swappa, and the buyer was happy with it. Not sure if it was a glitch with the software Decluttr used for testing or if they just didn't want to fork over the relatively high amount they quoted me, but I still don't know what happened. I traded in my iPhone 11 Pro at the same time, and they paid the same quoted amount without any problem.

Ferelwilldems

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2021
Where was the trade in offer from?
It was through Apple!
I ended up putting in some extra bubble wrap with my trade in this year since the box they sent looked like it provided no protection.
Yeah, the box this year was way smaller than trade ins I’ve done in the past. It’s been a few years though.

Sorry, not buying it.

Of course, there’s the usual giveaway: a newbie poster with a disaster story. And no follow-up as of yet.

But … DuckDuckGo has exactly one relevant hit for “iphone chin plate,” and it’s this very thread.

This claim of yours is extraordinary, and you provide us with no evidence whatsoever. If you wish to be taken seriously here, your first step should be to provide evidence as extraordinary as your claim.

At a bare minimum, please provide an actual copy of the report that “they” provided you with — not just your summary / interpretation.

b&

Ugh, most people on this forum are wonderful but some are real pretentious. I’m not trying to unmask some conspiracy, nor do I care whether you “buy” it. I’m here looking for advice and information, maybe camaraderie if anyone had experienced anything similar. Super weird that you immediately jumped to this bizarre, dismissive superiority complex, talking about “if I wish to be taken seriously here”.

In case anyone normal wanted to see the claim made, here’s a screenshot. I don’t have any pictures of the phone pre-shipment (clearly I should have taken one), but honestly if I did I wouldn’t be here, I’d have emailed them to Apple and gotten on with my day. Obviously.

Attachments

• IMG_4112.jpeg
    IMG_4112.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 152

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It was through Apple!

Yeah, the box this year was way smaller than trade ins I’ve done in the past. It’s been a few years though.

Ugh, most people on this forum are wonderful but some are real pretentious. I’m not trying to unmask some conspiracy, nor do I care whether you “buy” it. I’m here looking for advice and information, maybe camaraderie if anyone had experienced anything similar. Super weird that you immediately jumped to this bizarre, dismissive superiority complex, talking about “if I wish to be taken seriously here”.

In case anyone normal wanted to see the claim made, here’s a screenshot. I don’t have any pictures of the phone pre-shipment (clearly I should have taken one), but honestly if I did I wouldn’t be here, I’d have emailed them to Apple and gotten on with my day. Obviously.
The chin plate is part of a MacBook, not an iPhone. Perhaps they mixed up your phone with someone's Mac? They should be able to realize the description doesn't match your device.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
For sure, deny the offer and get your device back. Odds are that it's fine and wasn't maliciously broken. Then take it into the Apple Store and trade it in there or sell it through a different 3rd party.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Some posters here are unfortunately, sheep. No other way to put it.

• Overheating? It's your fault. No such thing.
  • OLED burn-in? You're making it up. You must have run iPhone 15 under the sun for 300 hours.
  • FineWoven scratches? No, you're using it wrong. If it scratches, Tim Cook intended it to be that way.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
For sure, deny the offer and get your device back.

Had a problem with an iMac tradein. It was rejected 2 times "could not install OS". Took it to an Apple Store and they verified that it worked. Escalated to Apple Support Management, which was very good. Finally accepted the 3rd time I sent it.

Get the phone back, verify it is pristine. Have Apple store confirm that is the case. Then get management involved.

Ferelwilldems

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2021
The chin plate is part of a MacBook, not an iPhone. Perhaps they mixed up your phone with someone's Mac? They should be able to realize the description doesn't match your device.
The guy I talked to on the phone said they have “limited options” of things to put, but that’s straight up not an iPhone part. Didn’t seem to matter to him

Ferelwilldems

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2021
I checked Apple trade in for 12 pm says up to $450 no idea why op says was $800 trade in.
Sorry, I should’ve been clearer - the trade in was done through Apple but it’s a partial carrier deal. Apple covers $435 and Verizon covers the remainder up to $800, but Apple is the one that processes that trade in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.